Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

HKS Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
few questions about the HKS turbo kit.

1. are there and instructions/DIY online that i can look at? i would love to install this myself (i feel i have plenty of automotive knowldege, and i definatly have the tools to do so), i would like to know what i have ahead of me though.
2. what parts are necessary to be purchased to run the kit correctly? i dont want to hear, full exhaust, cat delete, anything like that. i know they HELP, but im looking for answers such as BOV, injectors, etc...
3. how was the pre-programmed tune? does it need to be retuned? or it is a solid/correct tune for the car?
i know its unrelated, but i hear that greddy sends out their emanage with incorrect/VERY unreliable tunes(especially for the 06+ SI), and it NEEDS to be tuned imediatly or else the car wont run correctly. i just want to make sure thats not the case with this.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:35 AM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
^
x2 i'd like to know also

-Ricky

Old 09-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
few questions about the HKS turbo kit.

1. are there and instructions/DIY online that i can look at? i would love to install this myself (i feel i have plenty of automotive knowldege, and i definatly have the tools to do so), i would like to know what i have ahead of me though.
2. what parts are necessary to be purchased to run the kit correctly? i dont want to hear, full exhaust, cat delete, anything like that. i know they HELP, but im looking for answers such as BOV, injectors, etc...
3. how was the pre-programmed tune? does it need to be retuned? or it is a solid/correct tune for the car?
i know its unrelated, but i hear that greddy sends out their emanage with incorrect/VERY unreliable tunes(especially for the 06+ SI), and it NEEDS to be tuned imediatly or else the car wont run correctly. i just want to make sure thats not the case with this.
1. I'm sure the kit comes with an installation manual. I installed my T1R kit on my own with 1 other friend and it took us about 12hrs. It was pretty straight forward. The HKS kit will be easier to install than the T1R kit, I would say maybe 2/3 the time.

2. You really don't need any additional parts. All other parts will either give you more power or help with the life of the kit. The kit was designed to be CARB legal and work straight out of the box. Tuning is always recommended to make sure you are running safe AF ratios. If you want similar power to the T1R kit, then you need 310cc injectors, a test pipe, and retune the HKS F-con. A BOV will assist in extending the life of the turbo by taking away back pressure that can go back into the turbo.

3. I would recommend a retune for both HKS and Greddy kits. Those preprogrammed tunes are meant for specific vehicles and specific elevations. Every car is different even tho they are all L15a powered Fits. My friend installed the Greddy Kit on an 07 Si and it runs great... no problems what so ever. Which leads me to say that each car is different and each car should be retuned. Retuning just means you are making sure the car is running at its best and not potentially shortening the life of any components.. its a good precaution, but not absolutely 100% necessary...

Last edited by YeeFit; 09-19-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
^thank you!
so out of that, i am leaning towards:
1. can be done in 1 full dayat home in a garage with the proper tools.
2. a BOV and a/f guage are almost necessary to run reliably.
what a/f guages are recomended? does it need to be wideband?
3. tune is def. recomended.

thanks again!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
^thank you!
so out of that, i am leaning towards:
1. can be done in 1 full dayat home in a garage with the proper tools.
2. a BOV and a/f guage are almost necessary to run reliably.
what a/f guages are recomended? does it need to be wideband?
3. tune is def. recomended.

thanks again!
the HKS kit can be installed in a day easy. a BOV is highly recommended. But the AF gauge isn't. If tune the car and they have an AF meter there, once you're tuned there's really no need for one. But if you want one for monitoring then u need a wideband. Narrowband AF gauges are useless..

Old 09-19-2008, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the built-in video out gauge feature on the HKS F-Con IS.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by 1WayFit
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the built-in video out gauge feature on the HKS F-Con IS.
are you refering to the Camp2?

Old 09-19-2008, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zivman
are you refering to the Camp2?
No, that's a different product. HKS F-Con IS has this cool feature that allows users to hook it up to a dash screen for gauges.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
get hold of a cracked fcon is software
Where can you get cracked software?

Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 PM
No, that's a different product. HKS F-Con IS has this cool feature that allows users to hook it up to a dash screen for gauges.

actually, I have......
here's the IS being tuned on a G35 - you can see the output on his laptop:

Old 09-19-2008, 07:48 PM
get hold of a cracked fcon is software

thought I had seen this pic before.....
LINK

Old 09-24-2008, 12:40 AM

Here is what I get from the Video out from my F-Con

Old 09-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Dude that is SWEET!

It would be perfect if you could use the touchscreen to interact with the F-con itself... You wouldn't need a laptop to tune anymore! Just pull up your maps on your carputer and adjust!

Sadly, I don't think that'll happen, as HKS already limits their tuning software to "authorized" tuners who only seem to exist on the coasts.

Midwest FTL

Old 09-24-2008, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Can monitor F-con via headunit?

awesome function!

HKS FTW!

Old 09-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i didn't know you could do that! that is dope.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I don't mean to derail the subject but previously people were comparing this kit to the T1R kit and mentioned an issue with heat soak.

Looking at both kits, on the internet, there appears to be a difference in where the turbo is mounted on the manifold of these kits. The T1R mounting the turbo downward and the HKS the turbo sits a little higher. I know they both use T25 turbochargers, just different A/R.

For emissions and a few other reasons, I am interested in the HKS kit. My questions are:

Has anyone tried a thermal wrapping the turbo or a heat shield on this kit?

Also, HKS has this turbo kit marked for '07 and I have an '08. I don't know of any changes from '07 to '08 on the Fit in terms of production. Is there a difference in the ECU? Does anyone know if it is intended for '07 and '08?

Any thoughts on running 10w30 when turbocharged?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by abscooter
Here is what I get from the Video out from my F-Con

With this does that mean you dont need any gauges? And are you able to still listen to music with this on? Thinking about this kit, thanks.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Nabisco
My questions are:

Has anyone tried a thermal wrapping the turbo or a heat shield on this kit?

Also, HKS has this turbo kit marked for '07 and I have an '08. I don't know of any changes from '07 to '08 on the Fit in terms of production. Is there a difference in the ECU? Does anyone know if it is intended for '07 and '08?

Any thoughts on running 10w30 when turbocharged?
As for the Heat Issue, The HKS kit came with a Heat Shield that mounts on top of the Manifold. Not sure if HKS updated there kit or other users just did not install it. I Installed the kit with 2100 miles on the car and now have over 6800 and have not had any Problems with this Issue. I live in FL and have driven in lots of stop and go Traffic with 90+ temps out side. I have also boosted the car really hard at times.

The Kit only list for 2007 since HKS had only tested a 07. I asked the same Question to Ryan @ HKS since mine is a 2008. So answer is YES will work on a 2008, no difference

Last edited by RXMOTORS; 10-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:49 AM
If HKS allowed you to tune their F-CON, I would have gone with their kit, mostly because of the prefab wiring harness. But as it is, the F-CON is absolutely useless to me as a tuning device.
I really think this IS necessary. You are allowed to have it re-tuned, just not by
the average whacker with a Dyno and a fat head. It is their product and they have set it up to pass California emissions.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:53 AM
RXMOTORS.. Thank you for all the info and your experience with this kit. I live in central Florida too.

Quick Reply: HKS Turbo kit