Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

T1R Clutch=Big Time FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
im not very smart when it comes to cars. but i did have my clutch replaced on my fit also. it would slip, in every gear, wether or not i shifted and acceled or just kept it in gear and punched it...it would just rev out. now that i have replaced the clutch with another oem replacement, i have noticed that sometimes when i shift and punch it there is a "delay" in acceleration, the rpms will not rise, but there is a noticable delay in acceleration, you can even hear the intake sucking, but nothing happening for a moment... this could be because of my lightened flywheel? or it could be the clutch delay. i would assume it is the clutch delay since it happens on straight aways or even down hill when i shift and am driving "spirited".

i would look into this "clutch delay" thing...?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:31 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
The clutch delay will make itself known via clutch slip. Revs will rise but car will not accelerate, just like when your old clutch was bad. The difference is that the clutch delay will only cause momentary slip, and only during clutch engagement.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
The clutch delay will make itself known via clutch slip. Revs will rise but car will not accelerate, just like when your old clutch was bad. The difference is that the clutch delay will only cause momentary slip, and only during clutch engagement.

thats not what i got from the link they posted.... CDV Clutch Delay Valve

The Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is a one-way restrictor installed by the factory between the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder, as shown in Figure 1. It "delays" the engagement of the clutch, much like old record players used a damped tone-arm to gently lower the needle onto the surface of a record.

Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch at high RPM. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite 20 years of practice, cannot shift gears smoothly. During parallel parking maneuvers, the delay can be infuriating, causing constant clutch slippage. And during hard acceleration, the large amount of clutch slippage can greatly shorten the life of your clutch. During normal, sedate driving, the shift from first into second gear is often jerky, leading passengers to question your skill. As the driver, you can see your passengers' heads bobbing back and forth during every shift!

- my revs do not get any higher during this period. there is just a 'delay'

Last edited by kancerr; 09-08-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by kancerr
thats not what i got from the link they posted.... CDV Clutch Delay Valve

The Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is a one-way restrictor installed by the factory between the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder, as shown in Figure 1. It "delays" the engagement of the clutch, much like old record players used a damped tone-arm to gently lower the needle onto the surface of a record.

Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch at high RPM. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite 20 years of practice, cannot shift gears smoothly. During parallel parking maneuvers, the delay can be infuriating, causing constant clutch slippage. And during hard acceleration, the large amount of clutch slippage can greatly shorten the life of your clutch. During normal, sedate driving, the shift from first into second gear is often jerky, leading passengers to question your skill. As the driver, you can see your passengers' heads bobbing back and forth during every shift!

I have had the so called "clutch delay" many times so far and it isn't the jerky movement you are mentioning above. It is a noticeable second or so when the engine revs up like the gear never engaged, then without any jerk it engages as the rpms drop slightly back engaged into gear.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kancerr
Exactly. That's how you know it's not the CDV.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
hmmm guess i should get it checked out then...wonder why there is this delay...thx get it checked out next weekend when my cars in the shop.