General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Loose Spark Plugs Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I must not be communicating this properly. You can't change to a different plug. The plugs have to reach a certain depth. The limiting factor is the amount of space cast into the spark plug hole in the cylinder head. The heads on the GK and other vehicles have more threads and, therefor, so do the spark plugs.

The spark plugs used on the GD and GE Fit's are like what you see on old 8:1 compression iron head engine. IMO, they should not have been used on a 10:1 compression, lean burning, modern aluminum head engine.

We are stuck with what we have, but proper maintenance alleviates the concern.

Thanks, GAFIT. I somehow did not follow that you were contrasting 2nd gen. with 3rd gen.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nadams334
I think he's saying that the 3rd gen Fits use longer thread spark plugs to fix this issue, not to use longer plugs in your 1st/2nd gen.

Were any of your plugs loose when you went to change them?
Glad you asked.

I bought my '13 Fit new, so I am the only person who has ever touched the plugs. I have replaced them once so far. It was at about 55k mi. Far from being loose, all my plugs were tight. In fact, I had to use a breaker bar on one of them. I replaced them with OEM spec NGK, and I used a bit of anti-seize on each. With regard to your other post, I would not use Loctite on any spark plugs.

One last thing: Regular maintenance, like GAFIT has said, is a wise policy. "Regular maintenance" for some people will mean more maintenance than they are doing now, more maintenance than the factory suggest, more maintenance than the Maintenance Minder indicates. Most people hate this idea. Most car guys understand that cars need maintenance.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
One way to hear that you have a loose plug is that you hear a ticking noise similar to a piezoelectric igniter on a propane barbecue or on a gas stove. Kinda sounds like smacking two little pebbles together. The sound is also at a steady rhythm with the engine.

when I caught mine, it was so loose, I didn’t think my socket was even on the plug. I was able to turn the plug about 10 turns with my finger tips and ratchet extension before it was seated. Retorqued it and have been ok since. The good news is that I never had any rough idle or noticeable loss of power from it, even if there is some combustion blow by.