General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

i hate dealers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
Dang, what a story luckystiff. Some shops prey on women, figuring they're most likely to agree to work. I once saw a woman in tears at a Goodyear service store, having been charged hundreds of dollars for work that should have been much less. I was waiting in line for a tire quote, but left after seeing these criminal creeps in action. I even heard a service rep at my local Honda dealer explain to a woman that the engine oil loss in her new Honda was due to "air bubbles working their way out".

On a positive note, I have a friend who owns a shop in an upscale area and has built a strong customer base taking extra special care of women customers, with honest treatment, full explanations and fair pricing. They tell their friends and he enjoys the business growth.
that's the way I treat all my customers. complete honesty. had a young lady come in this morning for windshield and recalibration on a 2017 Civic....... Her insurance denied OEM Honda Glass. Honda won't touch it warranty wise if there should be any problem. With it being a 2017 with only 11k miles I don't take those chances. After talking to her(she came in and had obviously been crying about something else) I explained to her the situation and that with her permission I would like to put it through as failed recalibration with the aftermarket and order OEM and reschedule her. She was blown away that I was thinking that far ahead on her behalf...... I don't push OEM as much if the car is beyond warranty level due to age or mileage as most of the time the aftermarket is as good or better than OEM glass. Honda/Acura is the case where I push OEM a little more than average as they are more prone to failure to recalibrate with aftermarket......... treat everyone like you would want to be treated......... That's the way I ran my hot rod shop.......... I've been closed 5 years......... I still have former customers holding on projects waiting for me to reopen.......

Old 07-31-2018, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
sounds good. service credit can be used on parts too?

for me dat would be completely useless cause i do my own maintenance. but if dey can give me filters and wiper refills, etc
Yeah. He said I could use it towards getting an accessory installed or general service. I've already bought the all-weather floor mats, cargo tray, cargo cover, and the protection for the back of the 2nd row seats. All before getting this service credit. Unsure what to use the credit on right now. Thought about the window rain guards, but it is a lease and those would be more or less permanent. Being that I can't remove them myself, unlike all the other things I listed, if at the end of my lease I trade-in or not. Any "upgrades" to a lease at trade-in is considered damage and I'll have to pay more. Also already have a steering wheel cover installed and ordered some seat covers.

So as far as accessories that aren't permanent, I'm not sure what I would get at this point.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:35 PM
i'm leery of them too. my dealer tried to nickle and dime me for the floor mats on my way out after all the paperwork had been signed. to this day, i don't have a floor mat on my drivers side as a reminder to never go easy again.

Last edited by knope; 08-06-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: hate is such a strong word
Old 08-06-2018, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
Why I hate dealers part 2:

This is a follow up to my above lost stereo. So that credit they gave me I put towards mud flaps, because why not? They ordered the part early last week, saying it would be there Thursday. Thursday came and went and now Monday, with no word from them, I gave them a call. According to the guy I talked with, they have them in stock. However... he can't find them. He says he'll order the part again and made an appointment for me next week. If I show up next week and the part can't be found... like... do they even have a system of organization? It's not that difficult to organize parts. I also don't see the problem with contacting customers when a part arrives or something they're having done is finished from a trade-in.

I love Honda and the people at this dealership are really nice to talk with, but the service department organization skills is non-existent.

That said, I do know the location is going to be under a remodeling, so maybe that's playing a part in all this mix up, but I would think they would have a system of some kind as a backup.

Funny enough, it does work out. Granted if the part is even there for my appointment, it's also the same dealership I'll be meeting Honda Pro Jason at, which he should be there right after my appointment is done.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
tell pro jason ur story and maybe he can get u more traction on the stereo! GL

Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
tell pro jason ur story and maybe he can get u more traction on the stereo! GL
They already gave me credit as replacement and I was only going to sell it to a co-worker anyway. They credit they gave me was more than what I was going to sell it for, so I'm not too upset over it now.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:20 PM
I just bought our '18 Fit EX-L through our credit union buying service, and I will never buy a car any other way - new or used. No upsell, no haggling - the guy just went off, found the car, and had it brought to the local credit union branch for me to test drive and buy. All told, it took maybe an hour to do all the paperwork.

Later it occurred to me that the car had some dealer-installed accessories that were not on the invoice and not billed for, because I hadn't ordered them. Some I mildly dislike, but the splash guards are kind of nice.

Somewhat related: the first car they found for me was a used '18 Fit with just 3400 miles on the clock. But my mechanic's inspection turned up some odd things about that particular car, and I refused it. It was no problem at all - they just sent it back to the dealer, who sold it to someone else.

Also somewhat related: We've been using the same independent auto repair shop for 20+ years. When my wife's Mazda was new, she'd take it to the dealer for service. Until they told her - after an oil change - that she needed new brakes. She said, hmm, let me get back to you on that, took it to our mechanic and he said nope, brakes were totally fine, not even half-way through their service life. It was years before that car needed brakes - but that was the last time she took her car to the dealer!

Old 08-10-2018, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
Depending on the dealership the service advisor might be a commission job. In that case they push "service" to make their check bigger. They are not your friend or looking out for your best interest in all cases
Might? All new car dealership "lane lizzards" are on commission and under a lot of pressure to "perform". I had the Takata inflators replaced at Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance CA (Yes, I name names). I think the goal there is a minimum ticket of $1000. $500 for the warranty work so she blatantly lied to sell me another $500 of work. The "worn out brakes" lie is common, but "coolant looks like plain water" is a new one on me. Torrance Toyota pulled the same one on brakes when I had the front shocks replaced on the Tundra under warranty. I fell for it only in that I went right to the parts department and bought pads. What a surprise when I got home to change them and 50% was left. Returned them and told the parts guy why. He just nodded in agreement.