2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

DIY (GE): Parts needed for aftermarket double-DIN stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:26 AM
I don't know if this is new or not, but the Metra kit that we've been waiting for, and has been discussed above, now has instructions dated 03/26/09 on their site here, (click on the kit under Products, then click Product Instructions (pdf) on the resulting page), so the kit may be about to come on the market. I don't remember seeing the instructions before.

Last edited by SteveInNC; 04-10-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by SteveInNC
Has anyone considered the Pioneer double-DIN mounting bracket kit like this (6ave), combined with the Honda Nav dash panel? The kit seems to have the parts for the mechanical support, assuming that you can find somewhere to afix them, and comes with a trim ring. The specific kit was shown in association with the AVIC F90BT.
If you end up trying this, be sure to let us know how it turns out! From the parts shown, I don't know how you'd go about attaching the bracket to the dash piece.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:04 PM
I came across this site. Don't know if anyone has used these people before, but it looks like they have a dash install kit for the 09's that includes brackets, trim piece and Nav console piece. They also have wire harnesses and antenna adapters. I thought it was interesting.

Parts for 2009 HONDA FIT - photos, charts and more

Old 04-15-2009, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
i have the jensen vm9022 hesd unit with the nav 101. I just cant wait to put it in!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by 09blackfit
I came across this site. Don't know if anyone has used these people before, but it looks like they have a dash install kit for the 09's that includes brackets, trim piece and Nav console piece. They also have wire harnesses and antenna adapters. I thought it was interesting.

Parts for 2009 HONDA FIT - photos, charts and more
Originally Posted by blythe
Unfotunately, that part isn't in production yet. I made the mistake of trying to order it from one of the few sites that sell it, and they neglected to inform me that I'd have an "undetermined" waiting period until it arrived. The sites that list it are basically running a scam for a part that doesn't exist yet. If you have time to wait, then it'll work. For those who are looking forward to installing a stereo now, the parts I've listed above will work.
installer.com is the vendor I mentioned above. They were rediculously rude, too, and I'd never order from them again.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Alright, I know a lot of folks are wondering what you need to install an aftermarket double-DIN stereo in a GE Fit. I've got an '09 Sport, and here's what I used (successfully):
  • Stereo (I picked the AVIC-F90BT)
  • OEM Honda Navi dash (I got mine at Bernardi) - 77251-TF0-G01ZA
  • OEM Honda Navi bracket (I got mine at Bernardi) - 77255-TF0-000
  • Metra wiring harness - 70-1729
  • Metra antenna adapter - 40-HD10
  • Used the Metra kit for the Honda Pilot for the faceplate surround. It's not a perfect fit, but it works.
I'm not doing a full DIY because I think the installation is pretty straightforward. I've never wired anything before or worked with car electronics before, and it's not a big deal. The metra wiring harness comes with a listing of what color wire matches what, and you just have to solder it to the wiring harness for the F90BT or whatever stereo you end up with. After that, you pretty much just plug everything in and you're good to go. You'll have to run the USB cable from the F90BT to where the USB cable is in the glove box (if that's where you want it to go), but you can just pull out the lower glove box and it's a piece of cake.

Questions welcome.
Where did you mount the mic and the GPS mouse? Is the speed wire part of the OEM harness? Did you do the hardware bypass or wired up the parking brake switch? I am still saving money for the HU.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by vwli
Where did you mount the mic and the GPS mouse? Is the speed wire part of the OEM harness? Did you do the hardware bypass or wired up the parking brake switch? I am still saving money for the HU.
I put the GPS mouse inside the dash, on top of those top middle vents. No problems with reception so far. I put the mic right in front of the odometer. I did the hardware bypass. The speed wire is not part of the harness; I actually haven't tried hooking it up yet.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:01 AM
antenna

On the Metra antenna adapter - 40-HD10 where do you splice the blue wire? To the head unit or the radio harness or splice all 3 together. Both the head unit and the Metra have a blue antenna wire. Also are you suppose to leave the dimmer wire on the harness open? I hooked the orange/white illum wire from the avic 90 to the orange illum wire on the metra harness is this correct? or should it be the Dimmer wire which is Orange/white...

TIA
Kahne

Old 04-29-2009, 08:02 AM
If I remember correctly, I spliced the antenna wire to the harness, because you then plug it into the head unit. However, I never got the radio to work for me (maybe a defective f90bt) but I never messed with it because I don't really use the radio at all.
I think that orange wire can go to either the dimmer or the illum, since both will adjust the brightness at night. With the one you don't use, be sure to tape it up so that it doesn't hit something and short out.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Where is the best place to go to purchase all of the Metra Parts listed at the top of this thread? I have purchased the parts from Bernardi for the install but can't find a website for Metra harnesses, trim kits and such. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Think I just found my next mod. Anyone got installed pictures?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Think I just found my next mod. Anyone got installed pictures?

Im goint to do this tomorrow . I'll try to get pics up tomorrow night

Kahne

Old 05-01-2009, 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by 09blackfit
Where is the best place to go to purchase all of the Metra Parts listed at the top of this thread? I have purchased the parts from Bernardi for the install but can't find a website for Metra harnesses, trim kits and such. Thanks in advance.
The Metra wiring harness and antenna adapter are available from Amazon (sold by Amazon too). I have said parts on order. I also ordered the Honda parts via Bernardi, and offered 6ave $500 for a f90bt via their "Price Alert" feature, which they eventually took. All of the above is en route somewhere across the US, except for an XM adapter which is back-ordered. I have not ordered the Passport kit/trim plate yet, pending how it all fits into the car.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
I put the GPS mouse inside the dash, on top of those top middle vents. No problems with reception so far. I put the mic right in front of the odometer. I did the hardware bypass. The speed wire is not part of the harness; I actually haven't tried hooking it up yet.
Did you get any of the add ons for the F90, like the ipod adapter or hd or xm radio stuff?

Also, if you have used an ipod with it. Does it work pretty good? I really want to play videos for my son when I'm driving him around.

Thanks

Old 05-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by runbikerun
Did you get any of the add ons for the F90, like the ipod adapter or hd or xm radio stuff?

Also, if you have used an ipod with it. Does it work pretty good? I really want to play videos for my son when I'm driving him around.

Thanks
yea i have an ipod and i play movies all the time on it while driving, works very well. you have to do the bypass tho.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Where's the best place to order the F90? I'm kinda weary on ordering something like this from ebay.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by runbikerun

Thanks
The F90BT comes with the ipod adapter, and the ipod works great! It's a wonderful combo. I have the 120GB Classic, FYI.

I didn't get any of the radio add-ons, since I usually don't like what's on the radio anyway. What's the point in paying for XM if you have an iPod?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Where's the best place to order the F90? I'm kinda weary on ordering something like this from ebay.
I got mine on Amazon with no problems.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Sonic Electronix

I DO NOT recommend them, because I personally had a bad experience with them, and no it was not mind boggling horrible, but I was on a shipping time restraint, and they with held my order for 2 business days just to ask me if i had the right mounting kit for my car, "TRYING" to upsell me. That alone made me mad enough to go crazy about it and rant about them on these forums, cause I a deadline to meet to buy the stuff and get it.

However, on the other hand they are the cheapest place I could find online, and I've not had any problems with my unit at all. 679 vs 1300+ USD ....

Old 05-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I got mine during the 6ave.com name your own price for 500$. just got it installed lastnight i'll get some pics up later today

Quick Reply: DIY (GE): Parts needed for aftermarket double-DIN stereo