2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

DIY (GE): Parts needed for aftermarket double-DIN stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Post DIY (GE): Parts needed for aftermarket double-DIN stereo

Alright, I know a lot of folks are wondering what you need to install an aftermarket double-DIN stereo in a GE Fit. I've got an '09 Sport, and here's what I used (successfully):
  • Stereo (I picked the AVIC-F90BT)
  • OEM Honda Navi dash (I got mine at Bernardi) - 77251-TF0-G01ZA
  • OEM Honda Navi bracket (I got mine at Bernardi) - 77255-TF0-000
  • Metra wiring harness - 70-1729
  • Metra antenna adapter - 40-HD10
  • Used the Metra kit for the Honda Pilot for the faceplate surround. It's not a perfect fit, but it works.
I'm not doing a full DIY because I think the installation is pretty straightforward. I've never wired anything before or worked with car electronics before, and it's not a big deal. The metra wiring harness comes with a listing of what color wire matches what, and you just have to solder it to the wiring harness for the F90BT or whatever stereo you end up with. After that, you pretty much just plug everything in and you're good to go. You'll have to run the USB cable from the F90BT to where the USB cable is in the glove box (if that's where you want it to go), but you can just pull out the lower glove box and it's a piece of cake.

Questions welcome.

Last edited by blythe; 04-08-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blythe
  • Faceplate surround - I still haven't found this part. Any recommendations?
The trim piece from inside the aftermarket kit for a Honda Pilot kit should work very nicely (pic of it used for my Pioneer F700).... and this goes for the 08 or 09, as well as many other Hondas with a double din opening

Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by MorningZ
The trim piece from inside the aftermarket kit for a Honda Pilot kit should work very nicely (pic of it used for my Pioneer F700).... and this goes for the 08 or 09, as well as many other Hondas with a double din opening
Roger that, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Retired Moderator
Thanks for the list of parts needed....!! I'm sure that the GE users will be happy to know them

Old 03-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Thanks for the list of parts needed....!! I'm sure that the GE users will be happy to know them
No problem! I certainly had a hell of time figuring it out. I went ahead and ordered this kit; I'll update the first post if it ends up working for the faceplate surround.

Edit: and thanks for the super-boost!

Last edited by blythe; 03-29-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
great info +rep

Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by niko3257
great info +rep
Thanks! ...

Old 04-06-2009, 04:43 AM
i found this from metra, it comes with the kit to mount a sinlge din or double din GCI MOBILE | Right Products, Right Price, Right Away

Old 04-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by strmslvrfit
i found this from metra, it comes with the kit to mount a sinlge din or double din GCI MOBILE | Right Products, Right Price, Right Away
Unfotunately, that part isn't in production yet. I made the mistake of trying to order it from one of the few sites that sell it, and they neglected to inform me that I'd have an "undetermined" waiting period until it arrived. The sites that list it are basically running a scam for a part that doesn't exist yet. If you have time to wait, then it'll work. For those who are looking forward to installing a stereo now, the parts I've listed above will work.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Unfotunately, that part isn't in production yet. I made the mistake of trying to order it from one of the few sites that sell it, and they neglected to inform me that I'd have an "undetermined" waiting period until it arrived. The sites that list it are basically running a scam for a part that doesn't exist yet. If you have time to wait, then it'll work. For those who are looking forward to installing a stereo now, the parts I've listed above will work.
doh! crap i just ordered one....

Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 PM
doh! crap i just ordered one....
*shrug* Maybe you'll have better luck than me. I would call the company if you can and ask how long they expect before shipping. It's been about a month since I tried.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
*shrug* Maybe you'll have better luck than me. I would call the company if you can and ask how long they expect before shipping. It's been about a month since I tried.
i contacted them and they say it will be awhile for it to be shipped. i just canceled the order and going your route. i already bought my deck and i wanna put it in already.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM
i contacted them and they say it will be awhile for it to be shipped. i just canceled the order and going your route. i already bought my deck and i wanna put it in already.
I hear ya. I got impatient, too

Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM
yea, me and you are gonna have similar lookin decks, i got the avic f700bt from pioneer

Old 04-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Has anyone gotten the whole head unit installed yet? If so, can you please upload some pictures showing how it looks? really interested in ripping out the stock HU. x]

Old 04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I'll try to post pics soon. I finally installed the trim piece from the Honda Pilot kit. It's not a perfect fit, but it'll do until a real kit comes out.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:29 AM
yea, me and you are gonna have similar lookin decks, i got the avic f700bt from pioneer
I'd like to hear what you think of the performance of the 700 (or 900 or F90BT, if anyone has one). I've been looking hard at these due to the value/cost, but there are alot of complaints about the startup speed. I'd also like to hear what you think of the screen and graphics resolution (not the same thing) in actual use. Some nav units have really icky control icons and/or ugly roadway graphics. If you get Xm or Sirius too, I'd like to hear about that also. I have a Pioneer DEH-P7000BT in my truck (not a nav unit) and like it except for the funky control rocker/wheel and the single-line display.

A professional installer friend recommended Kenwood nav units because of the Garmin GPS, but they seem to be very expensize and prone to nickle-and-dime you for feature add-ons like bluetooth and sat.

Oh yeah, if it pairs with and downloads the address book of a first-gen or later iPhone that would be useful info too.

Last edited by SteveInNC; 04-09-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by SteveInNC
I'd like to hear what you think of the performance of the 700 (or 900 or F90BT, if anyone has one). I've been looking hard at these due to the value/cost, but there are alot of complaints about the startup speed. I'd also like to hear what you think of the screen and graphics resolution (not the same thing) in actual use. Some nav units have really icky control icons and/or ugly roadway graphics. If you get Xm or Sirius too, I'd like to hear about that also. I have a Pioneer DEH-P7000BT in my truck (not a nav unit) and like it except for the funky control rocker/wheel and the single-line display.

A professional installer friend recommended Kenwood nav units because of the Garmin GPS, but they seem to be very expensize and prone to nickle-and-dime you for feature add-ons like bluetooth and sat.

Oh yeah, if it pairs with and downloads the address book of a first-gen or later iPhone that would be useful info too.

ive heard that new firmware version makes it quite a bit faster than version 1.0. when i get it, ill make video review so everyone can see how it performs.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by SteveInNC

Check out avic411.com - it's got a whole community of people hacking/modding/complaining about the Pioneer head units.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Check out avic411.com - it's got a whole community of people hacking/modding/complaining about the Pioneer head units.
Thanks for the link. I spent a lot of time reading back through the forums there. It answered most of the questions I had about the F series. The user hacks seem to greatly improve over the standard software, and at least a couple of comments from the forum owner indicate that a new official update is likely this summer.

Has anyone considered the Pioneer double-DIN mounting bracket kit like this (6ave), combined with the Honda Nav dash panel? The kit seems to have the parts for the mechanical support, assuming that you can find somewhere to afix them, and comes with a trim ring. The specific kit was shown in association with the AVIC F90BT.

I'll admit that of the several car systems that I've installed in various vehicles, I typically went through Crutchfield and got their plug-and-play kits of parts, so winging a new configuration from assorted installation parts isn't something that I'm used to doing.

Quick Reply: DIY (GE): Parts needed for aftermarket double-DIN stereo