2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Driver's seat killing my back!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
I use Recaro SRDs mounted to Bride RO-type rails. Every one of my seat problems solved in one fell swoop.
Except you introduced a safety problem by removing the airbags.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
Except you introduced a safety problem by removing the airbags.
Side airbags? We never had them in the first place. I don't live in the US.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Side airbags? We never had them in the first place. I don't live in the US.
Oh, then win-win! Sorry!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 PM
I just picked up my Fit and today I noticed the seat problem. I'm a 6', 200lb male and let me tell you that I was surprised that my back hurt this much only from a 20 mile drive.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:53 PM
ive had mine for a couple days now and ive found my seat very uncomfortable as well... my bf moved the headrest a little and i could feel a difference (i felt a difference in the lumbar section of my back so theyre either connected or im crazy) but i think i might just get some racing seats because im not sure how long i can handle it. im 5'2 and 135

Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I drive 100 miles per day and don't have an issue with the seats. I do sit a little bit more upright on the Fit compared to my other car to get a nice seating position.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:02 PM
i noticed the same thing about the seats lacking proper lumbar support, i didnt realize how bad it was until i went on a longer trip. It made me miss my ep3 seats!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
We've driven ours 12,000 miles since January. All the miles are long, cross-country drives. I was really uncomfortable at first. I got used to the seat, though. Maybe it does break in.

I empty both back pockets. Then I make sure we get out and stretch every ninety minutes or so.

Still don't like the way my head bounces off the upholstered bricks Honda calls headrests.

I don't expect great seats in a cheap car. I think they have better thigh support than my Acura TL. I can take care of my back in that one, though.

I suggest that we all go out to our new Fits and go for a nice, looooooong drive. No better way to spend a day.

Cheers.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:43 PM
All politics aside, I took the $4500 and ran. If we shouldn't thank the Obama administration for the C4C program, then I guess we can thank YOU for your penny conribution to our down payments...

Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
6'2" 320lbs seats aren't the most comfortable in my Fit. So I decided to get FIT. 1st week on a diet in years. Needed to lose some weight anyway. Does anybody know if those Clazzio leather seat covers help with how comfortable the seats are at all? Those things look pretty slick and i'm thinking about grabbing some for Christmas!

Old 09-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by G0dXilla
6'2" 320lbs seats aren't the most comfortable in my Fit. So I decided to get FIT. 1st week on a diet in years. Needed to lose some weight anyway. Does anybody know if those Clazzio leather seat covers help with how comfortable the seats are at all? Those things look pretty slick and i'm thinking about grabbing some for Christmas!
Im the same size and looking to become a new fit owner and was concerned about this (been too busy at work to make it into a dealer to sit in one myself). Of course I've been doing a lot of research about fits, and everyone says its roomy and comfy. Do you feel you have ample room all around, and its just a seat issue, or is it because you feel cramped, forcing you to sit funny?

just wondering

Old 09-11-2009, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Well surprisingly enough the car has plenty of room for me. I went to lunch with another big guy like myself and that maybe felt "a little" claustrophobic, but it's not like our arms were rubbing together. The amount of leg room in the car is unparalleled in this size car. I can actually sit behind the driver seat with it all the way back and, again, it's "a little" cramped but by no means uncomfortable. It's was really surprising. There is more room than in a Corolla. The seats really aren't that bad, but they are traditional bucket seats and since i'm slightly wider they they are, the "wings" don't cradle me like they are supposed to but rather hit me in the back. Keeping in mind that I drive 70 miles round trip in traffic to work everyday I'd say i'm completely satisfied with the comfort level of the car, given what all else it affords me. (good mpg, cargo capacity, easy parking, light on the wallet) I'm still surprised every day when my right knee clears the dash. I swear it feels like there is more space than in the passenger seat of a new Lincoln Town Car!

Old 09-11-2009, 02:31 PM
awesome! That's really good to know, as that is really the only concern I have. I'm confident that this will be my new purchase. Thanks for mentioning the knee thing, my fiance has a 2005 VW beetle and my knees are constantly hitting the bottom of the dash whenever I have to drive it.

It's was pretty much between a fit sport or a civic ex sedan, I feel the 4dr civic lacks personality which the fit has a ton of. I was just worried about there being enough room for a bigger guy like me in the fit. Sounds like it shouldn't be an issue, time to get to the dealer and get movin' in one!

Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
I got in the Civic Sedan while i was there too. The Fit was roomier for me.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:45 PM
What did we all do before the idea of lumbar support even existed. This is an 80s invention that most take for granted. The car isn't a lexus so there isn't going to be lumbar support. Tons of people buy the aftermarket padded seat covers, wood massage rails, a small tough pillow for their back. Most likely your seat will just break in over time. In the meantime best just to use a small hard pillow.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jgaepi
What did we all do before the idea of lumbar support even existed. This is an 80s invention that most take for granted.
Hah! My back was a lot younger then. Amen to the little pillow idea.

Cheers.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 PM
I dont own a fit but I'm looking for a 09sport nav in orange..
originally i was looking at the 4dr civic si but the seats were very uncomfortable and no lumbar support.

Im 39 and about to go to chiropractic college.. so this is an important topic for me..

I dont expect a 22way power super plushy massage my back lexus seat, as some have commented.. but I do expect a seat I can ride in couple of hours a time without hurting.

I currently have a 97 chevy z71 with lumbar support. I took a look under the seat and it looks like a small plastic bag w a little air pump under the seat. Seems like it would be easy to retro fit something simliar in the fit seat. There is an upholstery guy I have used in the past. I'll ask him he may know of a fix.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
I found a pair of black mesh lumbar supports at Walgreen's — 2 for $10. An elastic strap holds the lumbar support in place. Since the stock Sport upholstery is black, they are not particularly noticeable, but they work very nicely, providing a little extra support for the lower back, as well as some air flow through the mesh.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
the fits seats are very uncomfortable if it is not set pretty upright. I've had the car for more than 7 months now so I'm kinda used to it.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
i also thought the seats were a little uncomfortable but my friend got me a device called a "CG Lock" which basically retains the tension of the hip section of the seat belt. for 35 dollars it is worth every single penny. i no longer have lower back problems because the tension forces me back into the seat and holds my position very very well. Also great for high speed cornering control =D