2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Old 02-18-2016, 02:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wait, so you are getting a loaner for the recall? i didnt know honda would do that.

plus 4months out in the parking lot could potentially cause flat spots on your tires (probably not) and dead battery.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:34 PM
Yup-they are providing loaners or rentals until the parts are in for the repair. They told me that most dealers don't have a lot of loaners available so they will rent one for you if you ask and agree to store your Fit at the dealer until it's repaired.

I'm picking up my loaner/rental next Friday.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Fitness
Yup-they are providing loaners or rentals until the parts are in for the repair. They told me that most dealers don't have a lot of loaners available so they will rent one for you if you ask and agree to store your Fit at the dealer until it's repaired.

I'm picking up my loaner/rental next Friday.
wow!

Old 02-18-2016, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
I think some Honda Dealers may have a form(s) to fill out that allow you to keep your vehicle at home ( not to drive ) while getting a loaner until the fix is available. You'll need to call Honda service centers to see if it's an option . May want to call Honda recall center and ask for that info . You could inquire them to e-mail / fax / mail a form to keep impacted vehicle at home . If not , maybe enough requests to do so could make it available for those not to leave it/them at a dealer lot .

Last edited by Odie; 02-18-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Too bad they don't have a buyback or a trade assist program. I'd trade mine in for a Civic or Mazda3 ASAP if this was the case.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
I do believe there's trade assistance . The thing is it goes to the dealer . So , who knows the amount , thus helping the dealer more than the owner . It should go to the owner if they want to trade it to a Honda dealer or other car manufacturer ( Toyota , etc. ) and tell of airbag fix or dealer already is aware of airbag recall and may turn you away .

Last edited by Odie; 02-18-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Trade assist or buyback over an airbag? Seriously? The car isn't a lemon...

The recall shows affected "possible" problem airbags...so your airbag may function perfectly fine.

I do agree with not wanting my Fit sitting at the dealer for months on end. I will have to contact my local dealer to see if they would consider this whole letting me keep my car at home until parts arrive.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:38 PM
Still waiting for a call from the case manager. Yes im getting a loaner vehicle for the recall. Not risking anything if i dont need too. Ive got my 4th child on the way and prefer to stay alive in an accident.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Cool, glad they are setting you up with a loaner FamilyWagon.

No way am I saying people shouldn't take the loaner. Better safe than sorry, I tend to err on the side of caution myself. Just don't like the fact that my car will sit for months on end.

Will be calling my dealer tomorrow to see what they say.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Agree i dont like the idea of sitting and ill be voicing my position on having my car stay at my house or in the secure lot at work. I dont want it just sitting behind Honda not being cared for.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
Agree i dont like the idea of sitting and ill be voicing my position on having my car stay at my house or in the secure lot at work. I dont want it just sitting behind Honda not being cared for.
In the process of picking up a Dart and I'm keeping my car at home. Trailer park balling in t-minus...

Old 02-18-2016, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Very nice Mike. Seems like it's a pretty painless process to get the loaner. Guess it'll be nice not putting miles on the Fit until it gets fixed.

Are you guys calling the dealer or the Honda # provided in the recall?

Last edited by shinjari; 02-18-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Nope never mind.

No one else at the dealership knew about the arrangement first person I spoke to arranged, I'm not risking being hit with $35/day in charges for something I can't control on this car.

That combined with the crazy insurance rates has me holding off on this until all logistics are nailed down and I have a written document showcashing the dealership/Honda's agreement to cover all charges.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
We went back to Honda service center that has the agreement to keep vehicle at home and not at a delear lot . It's 2 pages . Called Recall center and the worker wasn't aware of this form . Called a few other Honda service centers and they too were not informed on this agreement . The first time I was showed these papers and asked if I could get them , I was denied . The service manager gave them to us this time , but he too was reluctant and said didn't have enough copies . He knew of my 1st try to get the form .

Last edited by Odie; 02-18-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:01 PM
Interesting . Appreciate all these responses. I anticipate tomorrow the case manager will call me and ill be asking all these questions about what you guys are dealing with. Beggers cant be choosers, but damn i just dont want a crappy base model Corolla. Lol

Old 02-18-2016, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Agreement for keeping vehicle at home ( Click to enlarge ) :

Attached Thumbnails Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit-dscf6414.jpg   Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit-dscf6415.jpg  
Old 02-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by shinjari
Are you guys calling the dealer or the Honda # provided in the recall?
I called both, and got a case manager at Honda Corporate and put a reservation on getting a loaner/rental at the local dealer.

I'll ask my case manager about the paperwork for me to keep my Fit at home.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Odie
Agreement for keeping vehicle at home ( Click to enlarge ) :
Thank you, Odie! Much appreciated. I will be sure to ask my case person at Honda Corporate for a copy of this.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by utsug
I just read that there is a recall for 09-14 Fit regarding the airbag. Below is the summary:
"SPECIFICALLY, IN SOME VEHICLES, THE DRIVER'S FRONT AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODUCE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE UPON DEPLOYMENT. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE (BREAK APART) AND DEPLOY ABNORMALLY."

Now since the fix is not available until Fall 2016, can you call Honda and request for a temporary car to use while they haven't fix this recall on your Fit? I've read that there are 2 people that got killed due to this defective airbag.
Any suggestions?
yes...you can rent a car with the exact same problem lol ........it's not that funny.......

Old 02-19-2016, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Trade assist or buyback over an airbag? Seriously? The car isn't a lemon...

The recall shows affected "possible" problem airbags...so your airbag may function perfectly fine.

I do agree with not wanting my Fit sitting at the dealer for months on end. I will have to contact my local dealer to see if they would consider this whole letting me keep my car at home until parts arrive.
No I'm not serious. I'd trade it in if there was a trade assist. I just want something different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit