2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by paul_g
Interestingly on my Mustang, there are two inflator parts recalled. One was issued in Dec 2014, and they finally got in stock back in September 2015, and the other inflator made the recall list in May 2015, and there is no date in sight when that will come in, they said it could even be 2017. The Ford guy did mention that while they were affected, not nearly to the extent of Honda. They stated 6 Million Honda units are affected.
I have the same issues.... My 2014 mustang has the recall as of may 2015 (eta for parts early 2017) and now my fit has the recall.... But with more and more recalls every day, the percentages for "issues" drops.

I was looking back and one of my cars (2 times ago) was on the recall. I drove that thing for 101,090 miles with no issues lol

Old 02-25-2016, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
had a free oil change for the dealership and took the car in. while checking in the guy told me about the recall, asked if i wanted a loaner and if i did, said it would be a civic and hoped i wouldn't leave the car with them, that i would take it home.
ordered the parts for my vin and said, really have no idea when the parts will come in at this time, spring, summer, fall. pretty painless...

Old 02-25-2016, 12:46 PM
I like to call it, "Air Bag Roulette"

small fraction of injuries and death given the vast millions of vehicles affected. I have to say, "I like my chances"

Old 02-25-2016, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by brivers222

small fraction of injuries and death given the vast millions of vehicles affected. I have to say, "I like my chances"
i said i'll take my chances too ! told him no way would i leave my car on their back lot for months either

Old 02-25-2016, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dlivry7
i said i'll take my chances too ! told him no way would i leave my car on their back lot for months either
If I read your post right, you turned down a free car because you wanted to do exactly what he wanted you to?

Old 02-25-2016, 01:27 PM
just called local dealership to ask about recall after I verified my fit was effected.. I mentioned a loaner car and they didn't know anything about it so there making a couple calls to find out.. I have read a couple articles on line that stated Honda would provide loaner cars so I am waiting to see what they say..

Old 02-25-2016, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
had a free oil change for the dealership and took the car in. while checking in the guy told me about the recall, asked if i wanted a loaner and if i did, said it would be a civic and hoped i wouldn't leave the car with them, that i would take it home.
ordered the parts for my vin and said, really have no idea when the parts will come in at this time, spring, summer, fall. pretty painless...
I'm confused too.

Originally Posted by jserman
just called local dealership to ask about recall after I verified my fit was effected.. I mentioned a loaner car and they didn't know anything about it so there making a couple calls to find out.. I have read a couple articles on line that stated Honda would provide loaner cars so I am waiting to see what they say..
Call Honda recall line. They will get you a case number which will make it go much smoother.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
BMW had Takata Airbags too. Mine have already been swapped out. Took about 1 hour. Drivers and passengers..

Old 02-25-2016, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
If I read your post right, you turned down a free car because you wanted to do exactly what he wanted you to?
nope, i knew about the recall and didn't mention it to see what they would say. already knew i wasn't going with a loaner. he was relieved and wouldn't have had a civic to give me at this time anyway.

still have to pay for gas in the loaner i would imagine

Old 02-25-2016, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
nope, i knew about the recall and didn't mention it to see what they would say. already knew i wasn't going with a loaner. he was relieved and wouldn't have had a civic to give me at this time anyway.

still have to pay for gas in the loaner i would imagine
Yes...you would still have to pay for gas. It is gas you would be buying for your car OR the loaner anyways so not sure why that is a concern.

I know the chances are slim that I have a bad airbag and I consider myself a safe driver but I cannot control other drivers on the road and what if I'm that tiny percentage with a bad airbag?

Better safe than sorry I say. Not to mention they are trying to ensure their customers safety and satisfaction.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
We've talked to 2 people that have FITs and were not aware of the recall . Suppose there are many others .

Old 02-25-2016, 08:21 PM
So after talking to the dealership a couple times today me asking questions and them having to find out the answer I have an appt tommorow at 1230 to pick up my loaner car. I do have to bring the fit down there so they can verify the vin and mileage then there going to have the car towed back to my house untill the parts come in to fix the recall.. So i guess we will see what happens tomorrow... SO far the dealership has been super nice and found the answer to all my questions.. will update tomorrow on what actually happens..LOL

Old 02-25-2016, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
I never once even brought my Fit in.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:22 PM
Pain-free

Easiest, best experience I have ever had at a dealership. It took about 20 minutes to fill out the paperwork and get into a 2015 Civic. We showed up a day before we said we would and they were super nice and helpful. The Civic is nice but it's no Fit. But it does have an Eco indicator and a faux 333-DDD dashboard. LOL.

We drove the Fit home and it is now parked in the driveway in front of the Civic and our Prius. We'll put it in the garage this weekend once we get the danged place cleaned up. The Civic is a nice color and it's swoopy-looking but I luv me our Fit.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member

Same here, and as most of the issues have been in areas with higher heat/humidity I feel ok still driving mine since N. Cal has dryer/low humidity.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by shinjari
Yes...you would still have to pay for gas. It is gas you would be buying for your car OR the loaner anyways so not sure why that is a concern.

I know the chances are slim that I have a bad airbag and I consider myself a safe driver but I cannot control other drivers on the road and what if I'm that tiny percentage with a bad airbag?

Better safe than sorry I say. Not to mention they are trying to ensure their customers safety and satisfaction.

also, if you do happen to get a ding or god forbid an accident in the rental car, it could cost you a ton more money.... I talked to my CC's and they said the only way their LDW coverage would work is if "I PAID FOR RENTAL ENTIRELY USING CARD" obviously that is not case as Honda would be paying for it. So that would now mean either 1) taking chances I won't be in an accident, as you said I can't control other drivers. or 2) pay around $20 a day for LDW, plus gas (drive 75 miles a day for work)

My two past cars are on the recall, and I drove those too 100k miles without anyone even knowing the airbags could be faulty. So really chances are VERY slim anything will happen.

Plus I am not in a "high humidity" area, which is why parts won't be available until late Fall at the earliest.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:57 AM
also, if you do happen to get a ding or god forbid an accident in the rental car, it could cost you a ton more money.... I talked to my CC's and they said the only way their LDW coverage would work is if "I PAID FOR RENTAL ENTIRELY USING CARD" obviously that is not case as Honda would be paying for it. So that would now mean either 1) taking chances I won't be in an accident, as you said I can't control other drivers. or 2) pay around $20 a day for LDW, plus gas (drive 75 miles a day for work)

My two past cars are on the recall, and I drove those too 100k miles without anyone even knowing the airbags could be faulty. So really chances are VERY slim anything will happen.

Plus I am not in a "high humidity" area, which is why parts won't be available until late Fall at the earliest.
My insurance is covering the loaner from Honda.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
My insurance covers it as well. Called them prior to taking the loaner to verify my coverage.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:37 AM
I will have to check that out then through my personal insurance.

I checked, I am covered for 30days or less... anything over 30days I would need to purchase their (rental) LDW

Last edited by brivers222; 02-26-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:27 PM
well after a couple hicups nothing major at the dealership my FIT is sitting in my garage and my 2015 civic loaner car is sitting in the driveway...

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit