2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
If I was driving a loaner I would see if my insurance company would provide a rental car rider on my policy reasonably. The loaner is likely on Honda for damage, but liability is always on the driver..

On my policy I am allowed to put a car on inactive status, it still has comp,fire, theft coverage as long as its in my driveway. Drops the coverage to about 40 bucks a month..

Old 03-04-2016, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
My State Farm insurance rep said that I shouldn't have to give Enterprise a credit card or ANYTHING-----it should all be on Honda. Honda's rental agreement, Honda's insurance, Honda's credit card. I'm now waiting to see what Honda says about that. The easiest route is a loaner off the lot, rather than a rental from Enterprise. The unfolding process......
any update on this?

Old 03-04-2016, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Fitness
My insurance is covering the loaner from Honda.
how was the process for this?

Old 03-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by phenoyz
how was the process for this?
It was easy, I showed the Honda dealer my insurance card, and gave them a credit card, and signed a document that I would park it at home and only drive it to/from the dealer for the purposes of the recall, and off we went in a basic-but-nice '15 Civic. Only hiccup was that the inside of the windshield was a little dirty. But I cleaned that up at home.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:35 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
If I was driving a loaner I would see if my insurance company would provide a rental car rider on my policy reasonably. The loaner is likely on Honda for damage, but liability is always on the driver..

On my policy I am allowed to put a car on inactive status, it still has comp,fire, theft coverage as long as its in my driveway. Drops the coverage to about 40 bucks a month..
This is a good idea. I will ask our agent about this. Thank you.

Last edited by The Fitness; 03-04-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
It was easy, I showed the Honda dealer my insurance card, and gave them a credit card, and signed a document that I would park it at home and only drive it to/from the dealer for the purposes of the recall, and off we went in a basic-but-nice '15 Civic. Only hiccup was that the inside of the windshield was a little dirty. But I cleaned that up at home.
So you are using your own insurance and NOT a Honda provided insurance for the loaner car?

Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx

But then will you need to have a "RENTAL REIMBURSEMENT" coverage for this?

Last edited by phenoyz; 03-04-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:11 PM
So you are using your own insurance and NOT a Honda provided insurance for the loaner car?
Correct. Everything is as if I were driving my Fit, except that I have a car provided by the dealer. I pay for insurance, gas, etc. and return it every 20 days to re-do the contract with the dealer and/or get a different vehicle. It's as if I rented a car, and I'm using my current insurance policy to cover it.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by the fitness
correct. Everything is as if i were driving my fit, except that i have a car provided by the dealer. I pay for insurance, gas, etc. And return it every 20 days to re-do the contract with the dealer and/or get a different vehicle. It's as if i rented a car, and i'm using my current insurance policy to cover it.
Do you need to have a " Rental Reimbursement Coverage" to do this? Because I did not get one ...

my state farm insurance rep said that i shouldn't have to give enterprise a credit card or anything-----it should all be on honda. Honda's rental agreement, honda's insurance, honda's credit card. I'm now waiting to see what honda says about that. The easiest route is a loaner off the lot, rather than a rental from enterprise. The unfolding process......
he's insurance is saying something different...

Last edited by phenoyz; 03-04-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:18 PM
I saw littleblackcar's post and I got different information in my case. I didn't provide a credit card to a rental car company, I gave it to the Honda dealer because they wanted something in case of minor damage to the car, not the kind of thing that would be covered by my insurance policy. For example, an upholstery stain or something like that.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:38 PM
any update on this?

Yep, all I have to do is give Enterprise a credit card for a $50 damage deposit, like if the interior needs to be cleaned or something. Everything else is on Honda. I'm going to get a Nissan Altima on Tuesday!

Old 03-04-2016, 07:40 PM
I saw littleblackcar's post and I got different information in my case. I didn't provide a credit card to a rental car company, I gave it to the Honda dealer because they wanted something in case of minor damage to the car, not the kind of thing that would be covered by my insurance policy. For example, an upholstery stain or something like that.
Interesting.....I'll mention this to the Honda person I talk to on Tuesday. Either way is fine with me, as long as it's only $50.
My insurance doesn't come in to play at all with the car. Honda's insurance has to cover the rental.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:42 PM
Do you need to have a " Rental Reimbursement Coverage" to do this? Because I did not get one ...

he's insurance is saying something different...
No rental reimbursement, because Honda is renting the car, not me. I know the policies vary state to state, but this is how it is in NC. My insurance rep really had to dig and make phone calls to figure all this out.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Correct. Everything is as if I were driving my Fit, except that I have a car provided by the dealer. I pay for insurance, gas, etc. and return it every 20 days to re-do the contract with the dealer and/or get a different vehicle. It's as if I rented a car, and I'm using my current insurance policy to cover it.
That's very different than what I'll be doing. My insurance covers nothing...it's all on Honda. My understanding of liability, per my agent, is best explained with an example. If I give someone permission to drive my car and they have an at-fault accident, my insurance covers it. That's because I'm the owner and I gave someone permission to drive my car. In this case, Enterprise is the owner, Honda the renter, and I am the driver that the renter has given permission to drive the car, therefore I am on Honda's insurance.
I will confirm this again on Monday, but it's clearly what my agent came up with after a lot of consulting and digging.

Last edited by littleblackcar; 03-04-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:01 PM
yea my car is a dealership loaner and insured by the dealership.. I have to bring it in every 30 days for them to inspect it that's it...

Old 03-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by jserman
yea my car is a dealership loaner and insured by the dealership.. I have to bring it in every 30 days for them to inspect it that's it...
So that woüld mean their insurance covers it even if you're at fault in an accident, right?
I couldn't get a loaner because my dealer said it was too long-term. I could have this rental until Fall, which actually sucks.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, all I have to do is give Enterprise a credit card for a $50 damage deposit, like if the interior needs to be cleaned or something. Everything else is on Honda. I'm going to get a Nissan Altima on Tuesday!
Honda called me just now, they said it will be enterprise, but i will be using my insurance. honda will call me again on monday to schedule the pick up of the loaner. Do i need to call geico insurance?

Last edited by phenoyz; 03-04-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Honda called me just now, they said it will be enterprise, but i will be using my insurance. honda will call me again on monday to schedule the pick up of the loaner. Do i need to call geico insurance?
I would call your insurance company and have them investigate. Honda is renting the car, not you, so really it is their insurance that is covering the car.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
I think it is all a insurance company by company basis. Not everyones insurance policy is the same. I contacted my insurance prior to obtaining the rental and they assured me I was covered in case of any accident. It is as if I were driving my Fit but instead the rental. I did have to leave a $50 deposit for the rental. I did end up returning the 2015 Yaris 4-door in exchange for a 2015 hyundai elantra. Much roomier, comfy, doesnt look like cheap plastic inside and drives exponentially better than the Toyota. I will miss the bluetooth in the Yaris though, but besides that I'm glad it's out of my life lol. Just have to check in with Hertz every 30 days to renew the rental or make sure the rental I am driving isn't due for scheduled maintenance.

Rental reimbursement is usually a feature of a policy that say your car is in the shop due to an accident that was your fault, then the insurance would provide you with a rental. If you are involved in an accident where it is NOT your fault, then the other parties insurance will over it. This recall does not fit into either category IMO.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, my battery is a little weak already. Do you think if I start it once a week and run it for twenty minutes or so, that would do the trick? This would be my preferred method.

With a tender, do you actually take the battery out, hook it up to the tender, and plug in the tender?
like shinjari said, you can leave the battery in the car and just hook up the tender.

what do you mean by "run it for twenty minutes"? start it up and drive it for 20 mins? start it up and idle for 20 mins? If you search on the internet, some sources will say that starting a car only to idle and then shutting it back down does more harm than good as there's condensation build up.

Another thing you can do is just leave the car alone, let the battery die, then have a new battery put in when the recall is done. In this situation, you're spending money on a battery tender or a new battery.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:51 PM
I never called honda I just went through the dealership.. thank god I would be made if I had to drive a non honda for 6 months... I love my hybrid...

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit