2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Old 03-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Sadly, Flatstoppersare too expensive for me.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by paul_g
Starting and stopping an engine is not the best thing, especially for cold starts, then letting it idle. It's not good on an engine.

Sta-Bil will not hurt the engine.

I posted earlier in this thread, but here is how I store my Mustang:
1.) Top off Tank (I use 93 Oct.) in my Mustang
2.) Top off Tire Pressure - go a little over, or have them nitrogen charged.
3.) Helps to do a fresh oil change if current oil is old. Don't want sludge.
4.) Marine Sta-Bil (not regular). Marine is more concentrated and you can use less. Today's gasoline breaks down quickly and moisture forms in the tank. The crappy gas + moisture = bad for engine. Follow the instructions.
5.) Look into purchasing Race-Ramps "Flat-Stoppers". These will help prevent flat spots in the tires. Rolling the car back and forth will do nothing to prevent the flat spots. It takes driving the car miles and getting the tires warm to even out the spots.
6.) Get a Battery Tender + and connect to battery, otherwise it will be dead in less than two weeks. Option; You can remove the battery from the car, but still use a tender +.
7.) (optional) Car Cover - get a good car cover if you want to keep dirt and dust off the car.
8.) Place an old sock in the tail pipe - This prevents things from crawling in there and making a nest.
9.) (Optional) Remove wiper blades - keeps the rubber from sticking to the windshield (if your blades are new and want to preserve them).
10.) Do not engage the parking brake. Corrosion on the rotors can build.
11.) Lastly, the most important, write all the steps above on a big piece of paper and tape it to your steering wheel so you can remember what you did and what you have to undo.

Hope this helps,
Cheers!
I do a bunch of these things to store my car. Some I don't do, and some I disagree with. Problem is there will be a lot of conflicting information/opinions on what to do to store a car where ever you look for information. Two things that I believe everyone should think about at the very least when storing a car is battery and tires. Battery WILL die, and the tires WILL get a flat spot IF the car sits there long enough. How long is long? I don't know.

Has anyone asked Honda America/Canada what they suggest to do to store the car in the mean time? With this recall going on and them telling people to store their cars, I'm curious as to whether or not they have some instructions readily available on how the car should be stored. I'm also curious, for those who are leaving their car with the dealership, has the dealership said whether or not they will do anything to the car while storing it?

Old 03-07-2016, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Out of curiosity why go through all that bother when there is race-ramps flat-stoppers? They work... I use them on my Mustang which is stored. Another idea is to get a cheap set of rims (steel wheels) and 4 of the crappiest cheapest tires you can get, put them on the car. There are arguments as old as what is better Ford or Chevy regarding jacking or not jacking a car.
While I see the value and purpose of these raceramps, I cannot justify the near $200 expense for something I will only use for this, hopefully, one-time long storage. I am also not fortunate enough to have a project/show car the race ramps would be good for to avoid flat spot. Maybe in the future

The Fit is/was my DD until this recall.

I currently have (4) jack stands (so no additional expense) which I could place under the vehicle to support it to avoid flat spots. I need to do my research and see if its better to support the suspension, remove the tires/leave them...etc.

You mention the "cheap wheels"...makes me regret selling the sport wheels/tires a few months back

Old 03-07-2016, 02:36 PM
I hope it does no harm to have an ounce too much Sta-Bil in the tank, because I do! I'm going to wash and wax my car now, put a cover on it, and pick up my rental tomorrow.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
Honda isn't getting replacement airbags from Takata, and the current manufacturer is back logged, hence the wait until late summer. Apparently the procedure for getting a car varies-----my dealer has no long-term loaners, so I'm getting the rental car from Enterprise.

I am keeping my car, but I have to sign an agreement to not drive it.

1) There is a company that has reengineered the inflator or designed a new one? I suppose that's possible.

2) I have read press items that lead me to believe that every major manufacturer has Takata airbags in their cars. That's why I asked what cars could be suitable as loaners.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
1) There is a company that has reengineered the inflator or designed a new one? I suppose that's possible.

2) I have read press items that lead me to believe that every major manufacturer has Takata airbags in their cars. That's why I asked what cars could be suitable as loaners.
The best you can hope for with a loaner or a rental is a car that hasn't been recalled YET.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Washed, waxed, tank topped off, tires topped off, cover on. Ready.
I'm using a loaner cover which is a decent fit, and it's Evolution 4 fabric, but can anyone recommend a specific Fit cover that isn't extremely expensive? I'm looking at the autoanything Evolution 4, and the Noah, which appears to be more protective for outdoor storage. I assume these covers don't really keep the car dry, right? Or do they? Anyway, do you think it's worth it to get a specific cover?

And what's this about a "depreciation incentive"??

Last edited by littleblackcar; 03-07-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
I have the OEM fit cover and it is evolution fabric. it fits perfectly and i found it locally for $100. There is a OEM cover in the FS section but I think the guy is in Puerto Rico so shipping might be bad, but you are East coast so maybe not so bad.

If I didn't find the OEM locally I was considering the Noah.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Washed, waxed, tank topped off, tires topped off, cover on. Ready.
I'm using a loaner cover which is a decent fit, and it's Evolution 4 fabric, but can anyone recommend a specific Fit cover that isn't extremely expensive? I'm looking at the autoanything Evolution 4, and the Noah, which appears to be more protective for outdoor storage. I assume these covers don't really keep the car dry, right? Or do they? Anyway, do you think it's worth it to get a specific cover?

And what's this about a "depreciation incentive"??
Try calling your local Honda dealership(s). They might have a cover in stock that they're willing to sell at a discounted rate. My local dealerships will clear out any old accessories lying around at a discounted rate once the new generation is out. Wouldn't hurt to try your local dealerships.

oh and when you say that you topped off the tires....what PSI did you put it to? the number on the door jamb? or the number on the sidewall of the tire?

Last edited by Cruatchi; 03-07-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Dropped my 09 Fit off at the dealership this morning. They gave me a 2016 Accord Sport.

All I was going to do was over inflate the tires but when I checked the PSI they were already at 38. Not sure if this is the result of inflating to 33 PSI when the weather got really cold (and now it is warm) or if the dealership over inflated when I got my oil changed a month ago.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:11 AM
Not sure if this has been answered yet, but is it the driver steering wheel airbag, the passenger air bag or both that's effected in our Fits?

I ask BC if it's the driver air bag I may just buy an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag and call it a day. My Fit has been in my garage for only a few weeks now, I got so busy I forgot to turn it on and now the battery is already dead. I want to drive my car.

Last edited by FamilyWagon; 03-08-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
Not sure if this has been answered yet, but is it the driver steering wheel airbag, the passenger air bag or both that's effected in our Fits?

I ask BC if it's the driver air bag I may just buy an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag and call it a day. My Fit has been in my garage for only a few weeks now, I got so busy I forgot to turn it on and now the battery is already dead. I want to drive my car.
I believe it's the driver's airbag.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
What can I expect tomorrow how did the process go.

Do they take my car and look it over or do I just sign some papers and come back for the Rental.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Fitness
I believe it's the driver's airbag.
So the recall is only for the drivers airbag. What about both side airbag why arent the part of recall too?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cfran55

Do they take my car and look it over or do I just sign some papers and come back for the Rental.
My experience was they want proof that you own the car (VIN/registration/insurance card) then you sign some paperwork and get your rental. My rental was across the street, some people got loaners from the dealer and lastly some got picked up for their rentals.

Originally Posted by phenoyz
So the recall is only for the drivers airbag. What about both side airbag why arent the part of recall too?
Probably made by other vendor or not experiencing the same issue as the driver airbag.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cfran55

No, they don't need to see your Fit. You just need to fill out a form, with the VIN number (have that handy, or the service rep should be able to look it up if you have had that car in their shop for service before).

The rental agreement is like any other rental you do.. (example, when you travel and rent a car at the air port). They'll take a copy of your drivers license, and put a $50.00 hold on your credit card.

The agreement you sign with Honda states you will not drive the car, and when the part comes in, Honda will pay to have it towed to their dealership.

Honestly, I called the service manager at 11 am, drove to their shop (30 min drive) and I was out the door by 11:45. Would have been quicker but I was very thorough at going over the rental. Wanted to annotate every ding & scratch. That being said, I have to say my service manager seemed to be very on top of the recall situation. She was very helpful.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Well, naturally things did not go well. I found out that State Farm does not cover consecutive rentals, so I am only covered for 21 days. How are you who are renewing the contract every 21 days paying for insurance? It would cost more than $900 month. Going to call the case worker now and try to coerce Honda into paying for insurance as well.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Well, naturally things did not go well. I found out that State Farm does not cover consecutive rentals, so I am only covered for 21 days. How are you who are renewing the contract every 21 days paying for insurance? It would cost more than $900 month. Going to call the case worker now and try to coerce Honda into paying for insurance as well.
Call your insurance broker, in the US, personal auto insurance extends to rental cars.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:36 PM
No, they don't need to see your Fit. You just need to fill out a form, with the VIN number (have that handy, or the service rep should be able to look it up if you have had that car in their shop for service before).

The rental agreement is like any other rental you do.. (example, when you travel and rent a car at the air port). They'll take a copy of your drivers license, and put a $50.00 hold on your credit card.

The agreement you sign with Honda states you will not drive the car, and when the part comes in, Honda will pay to have it towed to their dealership.

Honestly, I called the service manager at 11 am, drove to their shop (30 min drive) and I was out the door by 11:45. Would have been quicker but I was very thorough at going over the rental. Wanted to annotate every ding & scratch. That being said, I have to say my service manager seemed to be very on top of the recall situation. She was very helpful.
What's your insurance situation? Does yours cover consecutive rentals? Mine doesn't. State Farm.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Call your insurance broker, in the US, personal auto insurance extends to rental cars.
I've talked to them extensively, and it won't cover consecutive rentals. But how would they even know?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit