2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
What are the chances that the loaner Vehicle you get will have the same bad airbag inflator?

~SB

Old 02-21-2016, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
What are the chances that the loaner Vehicle you get will have the same bad airbag inflator?

~SB
I would say slim considering most models affected are several years old (3-14 years) and most rental/loaners are 1-2 years old tops.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by specboy

~SB
Im paranoid with every car i own now. I feel like they're all defective.
Maybe i can justify a nice J's racing steering wheel now

Old 02-22-2016, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fanfit
Is it mandatory that you have to leave the car at the dealer? I just got a 09 sport model with 2 recalls under it's belt. I was thinking of just waiting till the parts are ready and then bring the car in to have both recall fixed. Bad idea?
>>> It's up to the individual. I'm driving mine until the parts come in.
I don't have a choice, mine is a dog hauler. It's the only reason I bought the car... For the dogs....
Unless they want to give another Fit that is going to get returned with dog hair and dog drool all over the place (which I highly doubt). Just because I'm aware of it now, doesn't change the danger level during the past 3 years when I didn't know about it. I drove cars back in the day when they didn't have computers, ABS, air-bags, etc..

Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
Yeah it's a bad idea! If you get into an accident your risking your life.
Aren't we all risking our lives just waking out the front door in the morning?

Last edited by paul_g; 02-22-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by paul_g
>>> Aren't we all risking our lives just waking out the front door in the morning?
Yep we sure are, so if you can help out the odds of staying safe, why not do it?

I dont care what you do. If you want metal to hit you in the face during an accident, then enjoy. Ive got to much to live for.

My car is parked in the garage until the parts come in, its not a big deal. Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Called and got my case #...awaiting call from case manager. If I do not hear back in 24-48hrs I will contact again.

When I spoke to the Honda America Rep, they said they were getting a lot of calls regarding people wanting to keep their vehicles while they drive a loaner and wait for parts. Only the case manager would be able to provide additional details.

FamilyWagon, did you wait to hear back from your case manager prior to going to the dealer?

Never stored a car for any longer than a few weeks. Anything I should worry about? Battery tender makes sense...gas additive? It may be several months if Summer 2016 is true and not just a cautious estimate by Honda.

Last edited by shinjari; 02-22-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Yes. I heard back from my case manager pretty much exactly 24hrs later. Then the following day i went to honda to get my loaner.

Although im storing my car, im still going to pull it outside to detail it and let it run for a bit.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
The dealer was not getting back to me, and I opened a case with Honda today. They will contact the dealer on my behalf and hopefully move things along. My recommendation would be to start by calling Honda and not the dealer.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Yes. I heard back from my case manager pretty much exactly 24hrs later. Then the following day i went to honda to get my loaner.

Although im storing my car, im still going to pull it outside to detail it and let it run for a bit.
I'm currently at the dealer waiting for my loaner. They will also let me keep my car park in my garage. Don't know what car are they going to give me but any car is fine as long as its safe to drive.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:56 PM
I agree. Anything is better than a dangerous air bag.

I got a charcoal grey Accord. Ill post a pick tomorrow when its daylight. We should a post up an airbag recall loaner thread lol lets see who gets the nicest one.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
I got a black 2014 Civic.

Holy moly do I ever already miss driving my Fit.

Going to pick it back up after the dealer closes when Mrs. 410b gets off work.

Next few months with another daily will give me plenty of time to get my GE detailed & throw a couple parts in it.

Will also keep miles off my Fit & the Mrs.' Fit while I S2000 hunt all over the USA.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 AM
I got a 2016 silver Civic. Its brand new with 1k miles on it.

Attached Thumbnails Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit-80-20160222_182847_727343c7bb68ddb3241862d20f945ddb583805ba.jpg  
Old 02-23-2016, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Called and got my case #...awaiting call from case manager. If I do not hear back in 24-48hrs I will contact again.

Never stored a car for any longer than a few weeks. Anything I should worry about? Battery tender makes sense...gas additive? It may be several months if Summer 2016 is true and not just a cautious estimate by Honda.
You should definitely get a Battery Tender. Newer cars have computers running even when the car is turned off. You'll find after about two weeks the battery will be drained unless trickle charged. My Buddy can put his 65 Mustang away in October, never start it and it fires up in April no issues. My 05 Mustang goes into storage in October and if I don't put a battery tender on it, it won't start in two weeks...

RE Additive: Depends on where you live, cold climate, etc... But for 5 or 6 months of storage it may not be a bad idea to add Stable. There are two types, (red) which is regular and (blue/green) which is Marine. Marine is the better because it's a higher concentrate and you will not need to add as much. Follow the instructions. It mainly has to do with the inferior gas and all the additives. Moisture can build up in the tank as the gasoline degrades. When moisture gets in the fuel lines, things get nasty.
Stable will minimize the breakdown of the gasoline.

I store my Mustang 6 months out of the year and I do both.

Also, don't be alarmed if when you do drive for the first time that it feels like your going over bumps. After being parked for 4 or 5 months the tires may develop flat-spots. To remedy this there are products on the market, just do a search on tire flat stops (I will not post a link here, or product name out of respect to forum policies). They're not cheap, usually about $300.00 for a set of 4. I use them on my Mustang as well. The alternative is take it for a nice long ride, and more than likely the flat spots will even out once the tires get nice and hot.

Starting and stopping the engine isn't the best idea. Cold starts are bad on an engine and unless you get it running pretty good, you could end with issues down the road.

There are some good threads and articles on the interwebs regarding "How to Store a car". You may not need all the advice given, but take what you will.

Hope this helps

Last edited by paul_g; 02-23-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Yep we sure are, so if you can help out the odds of staying safe, why not do it?

I dont care what you do. If you want metal to hit you in the face during an accident, then enjoy. Ive got to much to live for.

My car is parked in the garage until the parts come in, its not a big deal. Better safe than sorry.
Well, seeing how you put it that way, I went and checked, and I forgot to renew my immortality license this year... I suppose I will call about a loaner

Originally Posted by mike410b
I got a black 2014 Civic.

Holy moly do I ever already miss driving my Fit.

Going to pick it back up after the dealer closes when Mrs. 410b gets off work.

Next few months with another daily will give me plenty of time to get my GE detailed & throw a couple parts in it.

Will also keep miles off my Fit & the Mrs.' Fit while I S2000 hunt all over the USA.
I hear you Mike. Every October my pony (mustang) has to go into the stable until mid late April. And to make matters worse, it has the Takata recall too!
Interestingly on my Mustang, there are two inflator parts recalled. One was issued in Dec 2014, and they finally got in stock back in September 2015, and the other inflator made the recall list in May 2015, and there is no date in sight when that will come in, they said it could even be 2017. The Ford guy did mention that while they were affected, not nearly to the extent of Honda. They stated 6 Million Honda units are affected.

Last edited by paul_g; 02-23-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:28 PM
I just bought my fit this month, I am wondering how long the dealership new about this recall.

Just got my case number and was told that I should receive a call back in 24 to 48 hours

Old 02-24-2016, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Went to the dealer today for my appointment to pick up my rental. I got dropped off since the adviser I spoke with told me I could keep the car at home.

Went and spoke with the available service rep and he asked to look at the vehicle. Obviously being dropped off I didn't have it and told him the person I spoke with yesterday told me that I did not need to bring the vehicle. He then went to say "how do we know you are the owner? Do you have a copy of the registration?".

I did not have this on me but I did have my insurance card which has the VIN of the car on it. He took this and my license to his manager (who was the one who approved me leaving my car during the call the day before) and he came back and said that we were good to go.

I did not fill out that application that was posted earlier to store my vehicle...instead all he did was type in the notes section that "Customer will be keeping his vehicle at his home and customer requests rental".

He did also mention that I was only the 2nd Fit owner to come in for this recall and hopes that other Fit owners check their recall status in case they did not receive notification in the mail.

The one question I did ask was if they replace the airbag AND cover or just the airbag. He said just the airbag. The reason I asked was because I have a J's steering wheel emblem and didn't want to remove it if I didn't have to.

Lastly, I did not get a honda as a loaner (lame)...instead he sent me to Hertz across the street and they gave me a 2015 Toyota Yaris 5-door.

Initial impressions made me very sad and miss my Fit a lot already. Yaris drives quietly and has bluetooth and tones of visibility similar to the Fit. However it is no where near as comfy/fun to drive, not as roomy, cargo space is considerably less and it doesn't even have power mirrors or a key fob for the door locks.

Anyways, besides the lame loaner the process went smoothly. Hopefully parts arrive sooner than later. At least I'll be keeping miles off my car for the time being.

Make sure to have your case number and case managers direct line # just in case they give you a hard time.

Last edited by shinjari; 02-24-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Mirin that '16 Civic above.

'14 is fine, bluetooth is convenient.

Attached Thumbnails Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit-80-25180298786_e75b9c53c4_b_4815b884a9ec0fc1c3367aabc8abb6ed8c958bd2.jpg  
Old 02-24-2016, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
At least you got a Honda.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
A modern Civic is nothing more than a Corolla with an H on it.

Outside of the Fit, S2000 and FA5/FG2 Si, nothing Honda has made this millennium are anything like their stellar 90's forefathers.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
A modern Civic is nothing more than a Corolla with an H on it.

Outside of the Fit, S2000 and FA5/FG2 Si, nothing Honda has made this millennium are anything like their stellar 90's forefathers.
Wouldnt know about any new civics. Just know that this Yaris is a bore and no idea why anyone would buy one over a fit when they are similarly priced.

I will agree with the 90's comment...loved my 99 ek hatch...till some douchebags stole it. But hey thats how I ended up with the GE8 =)

Anyways back on topic. Hope everyones loaner goes as smooth as ours have.

Oh right, I didn't have to worry about a 30 check in. I have to check it back in or renew the rental at 60 days.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit