2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 01:22 PM
If I go through with getting a rental, my car will be parked in the gravel driveway. I plan to start it up weekly and let it run a bit, move it so it's parked on rotating quarters of the tires, have a full tank of gas...
What suggestions do you have to keep my car healthy while it's parked? I'm not a car person, so I do need advice. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2016, 01:25 PM
my dealership had all the forms needed.. I just called and asked about it and they figured it out

Old 03-03-2016, 01:52 PM
I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble. I'll be worried about my car sitting in the driveway for six months, and then dealing with the rental agency. I could ask "is it worth my life?" To keep driving my Fit, but what are the odds...... Of course, every trip would be a gamble..a worse gamble than the normal risks we take when we get in a car. Aargh...what a pain this is.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by phenoyz
I just got my case number. Can i download this form and ask the case worker if i can avail of this?

Thanks
I don't think you need to download a form. The case worker will contact your local dealer, I think, but you need to get details from your caseworker. They are agreeable to letting you keep the car---you just have to sign a waiver saying you won't drive it. That's how it is in the US, anyway.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe they could e-mail , fax , send by mail or give you dealer(s) phone / address that has the FORM . Recall # : 1-888-234-2138 .

Last edited by Odie; 03-03-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
I don't think you need to download a form. The case worker will contact your local dealer, I think, but you need to get details from your caseworker. They are agreeable to letting you keep the car---you just have to sign a waiver saying you won't drive it. That's how it is in the US, anyway.
i will wait for the call from the case worker. I also think they would
prefer for us to keep our car instead of leaving it at the dealership since
it would take-up their dealership space.....

Thanks

Old 03-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Well, the person at my local dealer was very nice, and I can basically get whatever size car I want from Enterprise. She felt like I'd be put at the top of the list for a replacement since Honda would be paying for that rental. Of course, top of the list still means late summer or fall. I will use a rental until I just can't stand it anymore. If I miss my Fit too much, I'll just start driving it again.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
What kind of stabilizer did you use, and how much?
I've always had great luck with STA-BIL. Per their label:

One ounce (30mL) of STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer for every 2 ½ gallons (9.5 L) of gasoline, gasoline/oil mixtures, or ethanol blends is the recommended dosage level.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by hyperfit
I've always had great luck with STA-BIL. Per their label:

One ounce (30mL) of STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer for every 2 ½ gallons (9.5 L) of gasoline, gasoline/oil mixtures, or ethanol blends is the recommended dosage level.
Excellent. Should I use Sta-Bil Storage? I just filled my tank, and I was planning to run that gas out and fill up with some non-ethanol gas before parking the car. I don't mind waiting another week to get the rental. What do you think?

Old 03-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by phenoyz
I just go my case number, do I call the insurance now or until I get the
loaner vehicle?
I'm also with State Farm and my policy covers a 21-day rental or loaner. The dealer asked me to return the car every 30 days, but State Farm will only cover 21 days of a contract at a time, so I called the dealer today and asked if I could come back and renew the contract after 20 days and they said that is fine so I made an appointment to do that.

My understanding is that State Farm will cover an unlimited number of consecutive rentals as long as each is 21 days or less. So I'm just going to be returning the loaner every 20 days and renewing the contract or getting a newer loaner. You might want to call your agent and confirm the coverage you have for rentals under your policy.

My hubby is complaining that the 2015 Civic we have on loaner is too small for him so we will maybe try to get an Accord next time if we can. He is the primary driver of the loaner.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Excellent. Should I use Sta-Bil Storage? I just filled my tank, and I was planning to run that gas out and fill up with some non-ethanol gas before parking the car. I don't mind waiting another week to get the rental. What do you think?
I used "Storage". The bottle says it's compatible with Ethanol, so I think you're okay either way.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:45 PM
I used "Storage". The bottle says it's compatible with Ethanol, so I think you're okay either way.
What are some general recommended best practices for storing a car for 4-6 months in a garage? I've never had to do this before.

TIA.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Trickle charger / battery tenders would be a really good idea for anyone storing their Fit. Fit's battery is really small and won't last long. Ive had 2 dead batteries from not driving enough. 2 weeks, maybe less of sitting untouched and there wasn't even enough charge to unlock the doors with the remote.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Don't leave the e-brake on. It may seize up. Leave it in Park (auto) or Reverse (Manual) instead.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:53 AM
I might just go ahead, then. No need to spend the bucks on non-ethanol if I don't need to.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:55 AM
Originally Posted by The Fitness
I'm also with State Farm and my policy covers a 21-day rental or loaner. The dealer asked me to return the car every 30 days, but State Farm will only cover 21 days of a contract at a time, so I called the dealer today and asked if I could come back and renew the contract after 20 days and they said that is fine so I made an appointment to do that.

My understanding is that State Farm will cover an unlimited number of consecutive rentals as long as each is 21 days or less. So I'm just going to be returning the loaner every 20 days and renewing the contract or getting a newer loaner. You might want to call your agent and confirm the coverage you have for rentals under your policy.

My hubby is complaining that the 2015 Civic we have on loaner is too small for him so we will maybe try to get an Accord next time if we can. He is the primary driver of the loaner.
My State Farm agent didn't imply this, but I'll call her today just to be sure. I'll be getting a rental from Enterprise, and I don't think they're renting Hondas. I don't hate Honda, but I'd rather have a Subaru!

Old 03-04-2016, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by Cruatchi
Trickle charger / battery tenders would be a really good idea for anyone storing their Fit. Fit's battery is really small and won't last long. Ive had 2 dead batteries from not driving enough. 2 weeks, maybe less of sitting untouched and there wasn't even enough charge to unlock the doors with the remote.
Yeah, my battery is a little weak already. Do you think if I start it once a week and run it for twenty minutes or so, that would do the trick? This would be my preferred method.

With a tender, do you actually take the battery out, hook it up to the tender, and plug in the tender?

Last edited by littleblackcar; 03-04-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
No you can leave the battery in the vehicle if the tender cables are long enough to set the tender somewhere and connect to the battery.

My battery tender connects directly via alligator clamps or it provided a set of cables that attach tot he battery posts using ring terminals for easy connecting just like my battery tender for my motorcycle.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:57 PM
My State Farm insurance rep said that I shouldn't have to give Enterprise a credit card or ANYTHING-----it should all be on Honda. Honda's rental agreement, Honda's insurance, Honda's credit card. I'm now waiting to see what Honda says about that. The easiest route is a loaner off the lot, rather than a rental from Enterprise. The unfolding process......

Old 03-04-2016, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by The Fitness

According to NC insurance policies, you shouldn't have to have State Farm involved at all. Have your rep dig deeper. It's ALL on Honda. See my post below this.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit