3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Very disappointed in 2015 mpg ratings.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
I feel like a lot of y'all must live in low-traffic rural or semi-rural areas (or be those nuts drafting semis and having their steering wheels lock and throw them into trees/poles) if you're pulling in high 30s low 40s. Living in/near a metro area, good luck. I average around 31mpg and I'm more than happy with that.

Last edited by Jared592; 04-15-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: scrotumular fortitude
Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jared592
I feel like a lot of y'all must live in low-traffic rural or semi-rural areas (or be those nuts drafting semis and having their steering wheels lock and throw them into trees/poles) if you're pulling in high 30s low 40s. Living in/near a metro area, good luck. I average around 31mpg and I'm more than happy with that.
Metro areas would likely fall under the 'CITY' heading.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
My first tank was 37 mpg. Highway, downtown, errands, shuttling the kids, etc. The only "special" thing I did was obey the speed limit.

Yeah, Honda's 29 mpg rating is pretty conservative.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jared592
I live in a metro area and commute through one of the busiest corridors in Silicon Valley every day. I average around 36mpg but that's throwing weekly spirited drives in the mix If I consistently drove like my life depended on my fuel mileage I could get 40 easy. The key is to save where and when you can and learn how to conserve in traffic. You CAN conserve in traffic and some of my best fuel returns have come from slow commutes sitting in 3rd coasting in gear with the injectors off.

As far as the Mirage goes, they're starting to pop up here in Palo Alto, which is very far from poor, there's just a lot of eco nuts here

I have no doubts the 2015 Fit will be easily capable of mid 40's without much effort and everyone here knows i'm not GK superfan #1. Looking at some walk-through videos of the first 2015 Fits to hit US shores, I will say, it's a hell of a lot of car for the money. If I was into gadgets and stuff i'd jump on it and actually considered it for about 30 seconds.

As for VW. Not even once. Go look at their reliability ratings on Delta, even the 2012s are falling fast, that's pretty sad.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
My gripe with the 1st gen Fit was the freeway mileage was only 20% better than my other car (29->35), while the other car had 300% of the whp (85->250). The tradeoff was abysmal imho. I think the same basic conundrum still exists today, though the Fit has added a few ponies. Naturally Fit wins on entry price though.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 AM
You guys make me feel like I bought the wrong car. Id take half the economy for double the power LOL As is the GK gets exceptional economy, definitely not an area of concern at all for me.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 AM
I also noticed the new Fit has an "econ" button. I haven't found much info on it, but I'm guessing it's something like the "eco" mode in my Prius C. Basically what that does is simply limit the pedal reaction some. If you floor it in a dangerous situation, obviously it will respond that way, but in normal driving it really helps maximize your MPGs. Especially nice if you have a "heavy foot" or have trouble maintaining a consistent speed.

So if you're worried about MPG keep in mind many cars have a mode for helping you with that. Using it on the 2015 Fit I guess you would achieve slightly higher numbers than people are currently achieving with their Fits!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
If you were poor you'd consider buying a 12k car that will be worth 5k before its two years old?

Used Fit/Yaris/Versa/etc. > New Mirage

I guess if you enjoyed being poor, it'd be a good way to perpetuate it
You have something against the poor ? A bit insensitive . I'd buy it just the same , had Mitsus in the past with good results . There's a 5 yr. / 60,000 bumper to bumper and 10 year / 100,000 mile powertrain .

Old 04-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by amy_wilhelmina
I also noticed the new Fit has an "econ" button. I haven't found much info on it, but I'm guessing it's something like the "eco" mode in my Prius C. Basically what that does is simply limit the pedal reaction some. If you floor it in a dangerous situation, obviously it will respond that way, but in normal driving it really helps maximize your MPGs. Especially nice if you have a "heavy foot" or have trouble maintaining a consistent speed.

So if you're worried about MPG keep in mind many cars have a mode for helping you with that. Using it on the 2015 Fit I guess you would achieve slightly higher numbers than people are currently achieving with their Fits!
Econ mode on the highway is good, but if you use your vehicle around town, not too many miles each day, it does nothing. How do I know ? Civic forums report this and I have it on my Civic and it doesn't work at all and I have turned it off. Again if you use the highway, it will give you some added MPG.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by SR45
Econ mode on the highway is good, but if you use your vehicle around town, not too many miles each day, it does nothing. How do I know ? Civic forums report this and I have it on my Civic and it doesn't work at all
What model year are these Civics and what year is your Civic?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Metro areas would likely fall under the 'CITY' heading.

That's sort of what I was getting at, as looking at the average mpg claimed in this thread and comparing it to the average MPG on sites like fuelly reveals quite a discrepancy. Those of you getting upper 30s/low 40s must either be in low-traffic (e.g. rural) areas or are crazy and shut your car off while driving (To each their own, but you won't catch me killing my ignition while in motion to save $5 a fill-up).

The above stated, I also won't discount the possibility that some of you have found a source of unicorn farts and have modified your car to run on them (and apparently get crazy good mileage).

Old 04-15-2014, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Odie
You have something against the poor ? A bit insensitive . I'd buy it just the same , had Mitsus in the past with good results . There's a 5 yr. / 60,000 bumper to bumper and 10 year / 100,000 mile powertrain .
I have nothing against the poor.

However, anyone who thinks a Mitsu Mirage is even a fair investment, is sorely lacking in critical thinking skills. Why buy a car that:

A) Has the build quality of a replica iPhone
B) Has a smaller dealer network than Porsche
C) Looks/feels like something Kia/Hyundai would've built/sold for <10k 15 years ago.

For 10-12k, you're in prime used Fit/Yaris/Accord/Civic/Corolla money or new Chevy Spark, Ford Fiesta, etc., money.

The Mirage is a bad car for bad people.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Below 50, the Fit gets some spectacular mileage- yes, with the engine running. You just have to let it. It's easier if you have a real gauge (Ultra or Scan), it's easier in a manual where you have control over what gear you're in. It's easier if you think ahead. It's easier if you care.

You don't have to do anything crazy: my wife did a 200 mile round trip over the Kanc and got 43 mpg for the trip.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the your insight guys. Glad to hear your getting better mpg's then the ratings from Honda. If I can find one at a Dealer next week I hope to drive one. MY driving to work and back is 80 miles. Two lane country roads and I can drive at any speed I want. In the morning because of the dark and deer,bear,turkeys,elk etc. I am going pretty much 55. Coming home in the afternoon is a different story going about as fast as the road lets me normally 60-85. So I don't know what this means for mpg on a Fit. On the HHR is means anywhere from 31 to 35 mpg's. By the way the highway mileage rating on the HHR was 37 when I bought it, have seen that a couple times but really had to work at it. So it was really over estimated.
I am well aware of the cost differences between getting more mpg's and when it is cost effective to buy. I have been going over it for a year just because I want a new car, not that I need a new car. I can buy a lot of gas for the $20,000 a new Fit will cost me. I might keep my HHR to run in the winter, roads are awful here in the northeast, salt and cinders chip up everything.
I have driven the Mazda 3, Mazda 6 and the Prius really don't like any of them enough to buy.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
I have nothing against the poor.

However, anyone who thinks a Mitsu Mirage is even a fair investment, is sorely lacking in critical thinking skills. Why buy a car that:

A) Has the build quality of a replica iPhone
B) Has a smaller dealer network than Porsche
C) Looks/feels like something Kia/Hyundai would've built/sold for <10k 15 years ago.

For 10-12k, you're in prime used Fit/Yaris/Accord/Civic/Corolla money or new Chevy Spark, Ford Fiesta, etc., money.

The Mirage is a bad car for bad people.
Now you're making insults about intelligence and social standing . One in every Forum .

Last edited by Odie; 04-15-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by badyellowvette
Thanks for the your insight guys. Glad to hear your getting better mpg's then the ratings from Honda. If I can find one at a Dealer next week I hope to drive one. MY driving to work and back is 80 miles. Two lane country roads and I can drive at any speed I want. In the morning because of the dark and deer,bear,turkeys,elk etc. I am going pretty much 55. Coming home in the afternoon is a different story going about as fast as the road lets me normally 60-85. So I don't know what this means for mpg on a Fit. On the HHR is means anywhere from 31 to 35 mpg's. By the way the highway mileage rating on the HHR was 37 when I bought it, have seen that a couple times but really had to work at it. So it was really over estimated.
I am well aware of the cost differences between getting more mpg's and when it is cost effective to buy. I have been going over it for a year just because I want a new car, not that I need a new car. I can buy a lot of gas for the $20,000 a new Fit will cost me. I might keep my HHR to run in the winter, roads are awful here in the northeast, salt and cinders chip up everything.
I have driven the Mazda 3, Mazda 6 and the Prius really don't like any of them enough to buy.
55-65 has always been the sweet spot for the Fit, anything beyond that and you're really giving up economy.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:06 PM
A car is never an investment and if you purchase one with the intention of it being an investment that is poor critical thinking in itself.

FWIW none of those used cars get as good fuel mileage as the Mirage. Some people don't care about fit/finish/aesthetics in their daily grind and only care about A to B. You know that Indian manufactured car they sell that's like $6k brand new? You see them around here.

When these people go on dinner dates or customer visits they drive their Panamera or 7 series. Srs.

I feel you on the dealership network though, that's a real bummer. I can't blame Mitsu for trying though and doing what they can with the budget they have.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
What model year are these Civics and what year is your Civic?
2013 Civic EX-Nav I have that also included the 2014

Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=Wanderer.;1232699]A car is never an investment and if you purchase one with the intention of it being an investment that is poor critical thinking in itself.

Boy don't I know that a car is never an investment, I have two cars a truck and a chopper, I'm Insurance, license, gas and maintenance poor.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
To OP specifically, please take some of the posts that promise 5+ mpg over EPA with a grain of salt. Yes, some do better than EPA, but dig further into this site and you will find more than a few posts where people consistently get 250 miles per tankful and no more, particularly if a chunk of your driving is city and if a lot of your highway speeds are over 75 mph.
My 2009 Fit Sport consistently did the 250 miles per tankful no matter how hard I tried right until the day it was totaled at 30,000 miles, and my drives were 50/50 city and highway at speeds 70-75 mph. I'm not doubting some of the the mileage miracles. Just saying each car is as different as each person. One GE Fit can manage great mileage from day one and the one behind it off the assembly line is a 250 miler per tankful, period. The single most important variable is if your driving style nets you EPA averages across most cars, it'll be the same story with the '15 Fit, and so on. Don't buy the hype and find that the shape and aerodynamics of the new Fit will net you better mileage than it's capable of, on average.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very disappointed in 2015 mpg ratings.