3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Very disappointed in 2015 mpg ratings.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
A car is never an investment and if you purchase one with the intention of it being an investment that is poor critical thinking in itself.

FWIW none of those used cars get as good fuel mileage as the Mirage. Some people don't care about fit/finish/aesthetics in their daily grind and only care about A to B. You know that Indian manufactured car they sell that's like $6k brand new? You see them around here.

When these people go on dinner dates or customer visits they drive their Panamera or 7 series. Srs.

I feel you on the dealership network though, that's a real bummer. I can't blame Mitsu for trying though and doing what they can with the budget they have.
Those people are weird man. My lady drives an old Kia and we went to look at the Mirage as a replacement...she couldn't wait to get out of it. Worst car of the last 10 years.

I struggle to see how the Mirage will actually produce the EPA numbers, its just so slow, I imagine one of those cases where you're ON IT all the time to keep with traffic.

Mitsu has made so many errors, I honestly believe its time they left the US market. They seem to be a few days late and $20 short with every new product.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:28 PM
I now get over 500 miles per tank with my HHR.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by badself
To OP specifically, please take some of the posts that promise 5+ mpg over EPA with a grain of salt. Yes, some do better than EPA, but dig further into this site and you will find more than a few posts where people consistently get 250 miles per tankful and no more, particularly if a chunk of your driving is city and if a lot of your highway speeds are over 75 mph.
My 2009 Fit Sport consistently did the 250 miles per tankful no matter how hard I tried right until the day it was totaled at 30,000 miles, and my drives were 50/50 city and highway at speeds 70-75 mph. I'm not doubting some of the the mileage miracles. Just saying each car is as different as each person. One GE Fit can manage great mileage from day one and the one behind it off the assembly line is a 250 miler per tankful, period. The single most important variable is if your driving style nets you EPA averages across most cars, it'll be the same story with the '15 Fit, and so on. Don't buy the hype and find that the shape and aerodynamics of the new Fit will net you better mileage than it's capable of, on average.
I could not disagree more with many of the conclusions that you have drawn in this post. First, the Fit is a very tall car, typically 6" taller than most other economy cars that we have been comparing it to. This additional height directly impacts its high speed fuel economy. If you regularly drive faster than 70 MPH, and seek the best fuel economy, then the Fit is probably not your best choice.

The variation in manufacturing from one Fit to another are extremely minimal. While one car may generate an extra 2-3 hp and may be capable of 1-2 more MPG, the difference from one car to another, coming off the assembly line are insignificant compared to difference that result from one driving style vs another and between one driving environment and another.

Now something that many people do that significantly impacts fuel economy is allow their tire pressures to drop below recommended pressures and change tires to something with better performance. The tire pressure, choice of tire and size of tire can impact fuel economy by as much as 25%. Getting bigger, wider wheels and tires really hurts fuel economy.

The OP described a commute that would probably maximize Fit's fuel economy, driving from 55-65 MPH on rural roads with few stops. I would not be surprised for him to get 40-42MPG with a commute like this. OTOH, you have described a large chunk of your driving at more than 75 MPH. Such a commute will surely minimize the fuel economy of any car but particularly the fit because of its rather tall profile.

I have made attempts to see what the best fuel economy I can get in my fit is by minimizing use of A/C, keeping RPMs low and driving particularly slow. I have found that I can achieve 42MPG in my typical suburban driving. But I also concluded that such techniques are not worth the effort, so other than testing, I use my A/C continually and accelerate swiftly and without effort I have averaged 35 MPG over 34,000 miles with my worst ever fill up being 31 MPG. In a colder climate and more urban commute, I know it would be less. But in any case it significantly exceeds the EPA combined rating of 29MPG.

I do fully agree with the last statement that fuel economy is significantly impacted by each individual's driving style. And I think the one thing that people who do not get good fuel economy do, is too much braking. I have found that Fuel economy is impacted less by a heavy application of the gas pedal, than it is a too often use of the brake pedal.

As always YMMV

Last edited by TCroly; 04-15-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:53 PM
you guys are some hard core penny pinching mofos.

are you guys only paying ~$3.30 a gallon in the US? which by my dodgy calcs is only 115yen a litre. thats about 60% of what we pay here.

no offense intended but if you are that tight on money, how can you possibly justify purchasing a new car at all? wouldnt getting a 4-5 year old econo box demolish any kind of saving a few mpg difference there is between new cars?

again apologies, just trying to get into the same head space/thinking here as it seems most of the Japan consumers have the same thoughts as you guys as fuel economy above all else and it doesnt make a heap of sense to me? (atleast not to the extremes talked about here)

Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
I almost touched 600 miles once on a single tank (07 a/t), from brimming full (yes bad I know) to "am I going to run out of gas" (also bad for fuel pump temp).

Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Japan Tragic

are you guys only paying ~$3.30 a gallon in the US? which by my dodgy calcs is only 115yen a litre. thats about 60% of what we pay here.

no offense intended but if you are that tight on money, how can you possibly justify purchasing a new car at all? wouldnt getting a 4-5 year old econo box demolish any kind of saving a few mpg difference there is between new cars?

again apologies, just trying to get into the same head space/thinking here as it seems most of the Japan consumers have the same thoughts as you guys as fuel economy above all else and it doesnt make a heap of sense to me? (atleast not to the extremes talked about here)
I pay $4.19/gallon here in Hawaii. But getting better fuel economy for me is less about saving money and more about a desire to be efficient. I just cringe at these folks who drive 18MPG sport utilities, that 80% of the time are transporting just one person. I may not be an all out "save the planet" type of person, but it feels better to me, using half the fuel of these folks driving their gas hogs.

Now, when I want to have some fun, I get out the NSX and don't feel a bit guilty tearing up the roads and netting 18MPG! But my NSX sees less than 1000 miles a year.

Last edited by TCroly; 04-15-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by TCroly
I pay $4.19/gallon here in Hawaii. But getting better fuel economy for me is less about saving money and more about a desire to be efficient. I just cringe at these folks who drive 18MPG sport utilities, that 80% of the time are transporting just one person. I may not be an all out "save the planet" type of person, but it feels better to me, using half the fuel of these folks driving their gas hogs.

for sure, but still talking about extremes. The amount of energy needed to make a new car will mean "recycling" and buying a used 5 year old econo car will also be better for the planet plus be loads cheaper for you. Just saying

Old 04-16-2014, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Hey I've got a 1999 VW Jetta to sell you, if you really think the stealership repairs over 5 years will be cheaper than a new Fit!!

Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TCroly
I could not disagree more with many of the conclusions that you have drawn in this post.
As I clearly stated, my experience having owned a 2009 GE Firt was aimed clearly at the OP, not you. Disagree all you like, since opinions have the same anatonical origins, and most people have the anatomy, you and I included. I own a 2010 G37x coupe and a 2014 Mazda 6, both of which generally return MPG's in line with EPA estimates. My GE Fit struggled to maintain an average of 25 MPG under the best of conditions, anamoly or not. That is not a "conclusion", but a black and white fact resulting from two years and 30K miles of GE Fit ownership.

Having worked automotive assembly (including quite a few years assembling engines) for nearly 20 years, I can attest that the variability that's inherent to assembling a motor vehicle or any of its associated components is much greater than someone not familiar with manufacturing tolerances might assume.

However, I do have one "consolation", and that is your single point of agreement with the content of my post, intended for the benefit of the OP, not your personal scrutiny. Must be my lucky day, and with that, good day.

Last edited by badself; 04-16-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
As I clearly stated, my experience having owned a 2009 GE Firt was aimed clearly at the OP, not you. Disagree all you like, since opinions have the same anatonical origins, and most people have the anatomy, you and I included. I own a 2010 G37x coupe and a 2014 Mazda 6, both of which generally return MPG's in line with EPA estimates. My GE Fit struggled to maintain an average of 25 MPG under the best of conditions, anamoly or not. That is not a "conclusion", but a black and white fact resulting from two years and 30K miles of GE Fit ownership.

Having worked automotive assembly (including quite a few years assembling engines) for nearly 20 years, I can attest that the variability that's inherent to assembling a motor vehicle or any of its associated components is much greater than someone not familiar with manufacturing tolerances might assume.

However, I do have one "consolation", and that is your single point of agreement with the content of my post, intended for the benefit of the OP, not your personal scrutiny. Must be my lucky day, and with that, good day.
25 mpg for this engine and this type of vehicle (weight, emission, rolling resistance and aerodynamics) indicates some severe malfunctioning. This is nowhere near "NORMAL" manufacturing assembly variability.

Seek diagnosis and repair of poor mpg.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by john21031
25 mpg .......indicates some severe malfunctioning...........nowhere near "NORMAL" manufacturing assembly variability..................
Gotta disagree.
Have owned my GD since '08 and have never had any engine malfunctions. Have got over 140k. With 50/50 driving between city/hwy in "real-life" traffic, 25 mpg is not outrageous. I can get more if I drive carefully or measure pure hwy trips.
When I drive am more concerned about the traffic, safety and how to arrive at my destination. Getting the best MPG is not a conscious daily exercise and I'm sure that for the majority of Fit owners, it isn't either.
In my experience, its the actual daily conditions in my surroundings that count. I live here and its what I have to deal with.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 AM

So you're essentially comparing 2 relatively aerodynamic low slung sporty cars to what amounts to a small minivan being pushed to 75mph? As other posters have said driving a Fit past 60mph has the engine running at maybe 4000 rpm. Your Infiniti probably isn't even touching 2000 at that speed. The other owners that can get 40mpg are probably more conscious of trying to get that number, other drivers maybe not so much.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:14 AM
To the OP, can you clarify why you are considering a Fit in the first place? Mileage seems to be your primary concern and while the new Fit is pretty good it's not the best. If so there's nothing wrong with a Prius C, it has great mileage and pretty good utility and can be had for under 20k. But the fun of a Prius is getting good mileage, not driving one.

By the numbers a Fit won't win many awards, but as a package nothing else comes close I think.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by elementrace
By the numbers a Fit won't win many awards, but as a package nothing else comes close I think.
And that's why I'm driving one. If I could put the kids and dog in a Mirage I'd be driving one of them. But I can put them in a Fit, and in real world traffic where I can't make good time at least I can get good mileage.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
MPG 2007 Fit

It's all about where you are driving. I use to make 2 trips a week to Palm Coast (30 miles highway one way) and would average 33-35 mpg at fill up times. Now that I just drive around Saint Augustine and cross bridges from Vilano Beach to St. Augustine Beach, I get 28-30 mpg at fill up times.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
My 2 cents.

I'm sure the deals are out for the 13 fits - I don't expect that much of a mileage savings from the 13s to the 15s. Maybe a wii bit, but for the savings in price of the actual car, there will be more $ in your wallet.

Yes its tall, cross winds and all, so getting 40mpg all the time esp in the winter is probably not gonna happen.

Myself, I have a 09manual....yes I drive either too casual, or hard. Hard = less mileage.
Hard also = fun!

Fit to me is 2 cars....a car with my 2 kids, and a car which is like a pickup!

I just picked up a 10foot screen in the box for my projector.

Yes it fit, just, with the hatch closed and not popping out of the side windows.
Yet again, we, the fit and I, surprised yet another sales agent

If u think of the car as an investment....depreciation will be on your side.

So yeah....think of these pointers, and the obvious choice will be decided.
For me, the great mix of 2 cars in one, fun factor, and ease of gas tells me I've got a winner

Old 04-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Those people are weird man.
That sums up the Bay Area in general right there especially the peninsula.

I don't know, there's an awful lot of older Versas out there and their fit/finish, fun factor is terrible, they're fairly ugly, but they're cheap, and get decent gas mileage. Maybe the Mirage will work out. I think the huge issue for Mitsu will indeed be the lack of dealership network.

TBH I was seriously thinking about getting an Evo 8 or 9 before I got the Fit, but the lack of dealerships and support turned me off. Yes I know polar opposite of Fit but I needed 4 doors and fun to drive. WRX was out of the question

Old 04-16-2014, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
That sums up the Bay Area in general right there especially the peninsula.

I don't know, there's an awful lot of older Versas out there and their fit/finish, fun factor is terrible, they're fairly ugly, but they're cheap, and get decent gas mileage. Maybe the Mirage will work out. I think the huge issue for Mitsu will indeed be the lack of dealership network.

TBH I was seriously thinking about getting an Evo 8 or 9 before I got the Fit, but the lack of dealerships and support turned me off. Yes I know polar opposite of Fit but I needed 4 doors and fun to drive. WRX was out of the question
lolz.

Now this thread has me wondering something:

People who have already placed deposits/orders for a 2015 Fit....why?

How can you know you want a 2015 Fit, having never sat in one for a sustained period of time, never having driven one, etc.? You can't say the Fit is the best package for the price, for all we know right now...it could be worse than the new Versa Note/Yaris/etc.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
What's wrong with that?

1. Decide what you want in a car.
2. Decide what you want to spend.
3. Find matches.
4. Decide which platform fits your needs best.

And yes, I do love driving.

My Fit is the only car I've ever done a real test drive with, and that's because I was there to get a look at the trunk (is it big enough for my dog?), they really wanted me to and I had the time. Our last 3 cars we first drove either after we bought it (1) or while killing time waiting for finance (2). I didn't drive my wife's van until we'd had it for a week.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Japan Tragic

x100000

Ahahaha...

[sarcasm]
Oh no! the new GK doesn't get 50mpg in the city.... oh no that new DI engine, and made in Mexico, they took away 1 of the 10 cup holders, they shrunk the cargo space & the roof is shorter, and those ugly Volvo style tail lights.

[/sarcasm]

Quick Reply: Very disappointed in 2015 mpg ratings.