3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
HKS Silent Hi-Power:
Tilting DIY hatchback cover: Used paracord and heatshrink, but used the OEM hatchback clips
How did you manage to keep the cover pivot on the dime without sliding off?
Did you make a special cut-out on your DIY cover?
Did you make a "hinge"?
Can you provide a close-up shot?
Did you tuck the cover under the OEM pivot points or place on top of it?
Thanks for the enlightenment!!

Last edited by noneterry; 03-25-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by noneterry
How did you manage to keep the cover pivot on the dime without sliding off?
Did you make a special cut-out on your DIY cover?
Did you make a "hinge"?
Can you provide a close-up shot?
Did you tuck the cover under the OEM pivot points or place on top of it?
Thanks for the enlightenment!!
I initially wanted the cover to sit above the pivot pin, but realized I liked it better under it. Plus in case of an accident I didn't want it being a projectile, even though it's connected by the strings to the hatch. It doesn't slide because it's under the pivot as well as the hatchback keeps it in place. What kind of cutouts are you talking about?Natural indentations formed because of the cover pivoting around the pins, so it hinges on them.

I'll try to get a close up and post up.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Close up pictures of the DIY cover:

Top view. You can see the black paracord I used to lift up the cover:

Bottom view including the LED bulb replacement. As you can see the support I used also helps with the hinge function:

After several months of use, it's still going strong and no bending after the supports were put in place.

I have tint scheduled in a couple of weeks as well. Going with VA state legal of 50% up front and 35% in the back.

Attached Images

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 10-25-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:12 AM
Thank you so much 2Rismo2!!
I'd like to add some design 2 cents:
1. Use hardboard instead of foamboard.
2. Use metal rivets instead solely relying on adhesive to attach the curtain rods

Old 03-31-2016, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by noneterry
Thank you so much 2Rismo2!!
I'd like to add some design 2 cents:
1. Use hardboard instead of foamboard.
2. Use metal rivets instead solely relying on adhesive to attach the curtain rods
Feel free to use whatever materials on your design. Someone on the forum used hardboard, and it still bent after a few weeks of use so you'll still need some form of additional support. I didn't have any rivets, but I did have a roll of 3M tape from a past project

I used what I had on hand. I think I only bought the felt, adhesive spray and foam board. I'm pretty sure it was less than $30 total so it was definitely more cost effective than buying the one from the dealership.

My aim was also to make it lightweight, I think the end product is less than one pound. I'll have to weigh it just to satisfy my curiosity.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
My wife got me a Rexing V1 dash cam for Christmas and I've had it mounted there since. It's a great little unit once installed and it's very discreet.

I routed the power cord from the cigarette lighter in the center armrest, to behind the glove box and up the a-pillar up to the headliner and finally to the dash cam. It powers on instantly with the car and is recording in a matter of seconds. The screen comes on, but I have set to automatically power off the screen after a few minutes. Once the car powers off, it continues to record for about 30s and then powers off as well.

It does record sound, but I did not enable that though it can be the default if you so choose. If you want to record sound after it's been turned on, it's a matter of hitting a button on the face.

There is also a button to save the current video and it will not be overwritten.

I have a 32GB card installed and at the highest setting, it can keep about 5.5 hours of video before overwriting the oldest video.

Here are some pictures.

Attached Images

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 10-25-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Got my windows tinted with Max pro film. 50% front and 35% in the rear to stay legal. Also had the top of the windshield done for an additional $20.

Attached Images

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 10-25-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
On leave for the birth of my first child so I took the time to install a Graco Ride 65LX. It's converter so it's quite large. If you're tall and need all of the seat track, it may not work behind the driver's seat.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GracoRide65LX2_zpsqolzzrur.jpg (236.9 KB, 4719 views)
GracoRide65LX1_zps2agzrjg6.jpg (247.9 KB, 4680 views)

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 10-25-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
In between baby napping and helping with the housework I managed to finally cleanup the car. We've had weeks of straight rain in the mid-atlantic and the car was filthy. So I washed it, used Mothers claybar and washed it again. I came back after it dried and applied Blackfire Crystal Seal on it. First time using this product. It has a nice shine and I appreciate the wipe on walk away (WOWA) application. I even applied it on the glass.

BTW the HKS exhaust stains the USDM bumper since the bumper sticks out further. Nothing that a little claybar and some elbow grease couldn't cleanup. Just be aware.

Attached Images
2015GK5_BFCS1_zpsfsxpux83.jpg (325.5 KB, 4688 views)

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 10-25-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Congratulations on becoming a Dad! It's a great ride, but you only get one shot at it with each child, so make it count! We just celebrated our first grandson's first birthday, so we're watching the cycle start all over again.

Fit looks great, too!

es

Old 05-27-2016, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you, I appreciate it. It's definitely been an adventure since the birth. I'm writing this at 220am after changing a diaper. I've never changed a diaper before the baby, and now I've lost count lol

Your JDM bumper probably won't have staining from your exhaust, but you may want to check. Plus you've got a darker color. My white bumper showed it easily.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
In between baby napping and helping with the housework I managed to finally cleanup the car. We've had weeks of straight rain in the mid-atlantic and the car was filthy. So I washed it, used Mothers claybar and washed it again. I came back after it dried and applied Blackfire Crystal Seal on it. First time using this product. It has a nice shine and I appreciate the wipe on walk away (WOWA) application. I even applied it on the glass.

BTW the HKS exhaust stains the USDM bumper since the bumper sticks out further. Nothing that a little claybar and some elbow grease couldn't cleanup. Just be aware.

Love your build! I like how your rocking the stock rims also! They look very good and match the car perfectly!

The exhaust really improves the appearance of the car and probably makes it sound great. Just looks like something I would do

Old 10-19-2016, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks it's a work in progress. It's my daily commuter so I'm not looking to do anything radical to it. Just make it a little more sportier so I can enjoy the few miles of back roads on my way to work and back, without sacrificing MPG. My best tank so far is 47 MPG on my normal commute

Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
So I tried upgrading to a Rexing V1P from a V1. The difference is the V1P has a rear camera so I thought that would be a nice feature since I have an 80+ mile commute daily. At this point I would not recommend the Rexing V1P. I'm sticking to my Rexing V1.

The reason is the video on the Rexing V1P skips in the first 20 seconds or so. It does this for the front and rear camera. I tried flashing the firmware multiple times because I was told that it would recalibrate. It made no difference for me. I tried using a different micro sd card even though the card I have worked just fine in the Rexing V1, but that made no difference. Rexing even sent me 3 different V1P cameras and they all exhibited the same behavior to varying degrees. I have to give their customer service credit, they have been so far good to deal with.

So I've sent them back the V1P and am keeping the V1. Hopefully they'll process my refund without issue.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:13 PM
where to buy the windshield sun shade ?

Old 10-19-2016, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by salamlaith
where to buy the windshield sun shade ?
It was purchased through autoanything.com

Old 10-19-2016, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks it's a work in progress. It's my daily commuter so I'm not looking to do anything radical to it. Just make it a little more sportier so I can enjoy the few miles of back roads on my way to work and back, without sacrificing MPG. My best tank so far is 47 MPG on my normal commute
Yeah, mine will also be a daily city commuter

Anyways, yeah adding sound to any car really wakes it up and creates a more enjoyable driving experience.

I'm going to keep that HKS exhaust in my mind. Really love the look of it on the car....I really want Fujitsubo since I'm a fanboy, but there Axel-back version doesn't look as good as this haha.

By the way is there any drone with the HKS?

Old 10-20-2016, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
No drone but I have the CVT so the RPMs run lower on the highway compared to the stick. You can hear the HKS is there but it's not annoying. My fiancée, at the time of install, and now my wife says it's not annoying at all. I guess she's used to driving my 4runner with a cat back Magnaflow lol

Old 10-20-2016, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
No drone but I have the CVT so the RPMs run lower on the highway compared to the stick. You can hear the HKS is there but it's not annoying. My fiancée, at the time of install, and now my wife says it's not annoying at all. I guess she's used to driving my 4runner with a cat back Magnaflow lol
Same with the Tanabe Medalion Touring I put on our 6spd ..... I can definitely hear it, Mrs says she never would've noticed if my son hadn't ratted me out Ours drones at 80 mph (4000 -ish rpm), but, no worse than it droned with the factory muffler. And the Progress rear anti-sway bar.... I can tell it's there, she says she feels no difference, but....she don't drive like I do.
Have read of folks having various problems with this and that - we bought ours used CPO, either we got a good one, or the previous owner had everything fixed....dunno, but....Progress bar, window tint, leather shift knob, Tanabe axleback, I'm good until I need new tires, which'll be a few years down the road. I LOVE this lil car, 'tis more fun than it has a right to be

Old 10-20-2016, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Wink

Installed this sunglasses holder. It replaces the driver's grab handle or otherwise called the "Oh Shit" handle.

These fit my AO Aviator 52mm sunglasses, but may not fit really deep or wide lens glasses.

These are the measurements according to the eBay ad:

To install, you'll have to remove your grab handle. There are two little slots on each side. You have to get a flat head in there and you'll be able to wiggle it out:

This is what is exposed. You'll then use needle nose pliers to pinch the two metal pieces together. Then you can wiggle that side out. Repeat for the other side:

Once you remove it, you can just pop in the new sunglasses holder.

I've only tested in the garage, but it seems to be pretty good. It is spring loaded, but doesn't seem to be as springy as the grab handle. I'll have to see if it rattles while driving. The inside is coated with a soft material so it shouldn't scratch your lenses too. Looks pretty nice. It'll free up the center console add on that's currently used to hold my sunglasses, gum etc.

Attached Images
s-l500_zpsicv6xqyi.jpg (47.5 KB, 4613 views)

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 10-25-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles