3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Paint issues are not minimal . Different for those to say when it's not their car , time , money and worry .

Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
as with all things these days....being an early adopter is cool, but you put yourself at risk of defects and quality issues while kinks are being worked out....

I love my 09....thing has been a blast to own and hope to keep it to 220k (at 120 now). That said, my next car will either be a Mazda or Kia (both have slight issues with their offerings) or a Dodge Dart (love the look, hate the reviews and potential quality issues).

I would take a risk and get a VW but the GTI doesnt have the space or flexibility I'll need. Should have purchased it first then a fit to get the VROOM VROOM out of my system.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
I challenge you to find a car that has been made for years without a defect. Regardless of whether or not it is a re-design, each year they made a minute change there has to be a manufacturing change made and there enters the opportunity for a mistake. This isn't a brand new car it is a re-designed car. If you fear mistakes by the manufacturer, you will NEVER buy a new car. Rolls are even at risk, ESPECIALLY when a car is built by hand and not controlled equipment. We all are at risk of a Friday or Monday car.

The majority of issues posted here are minimal, some just personal preference. A lot are complaining about the armrest, I find it the perfect height for my pleasure. We aren't talking engines locking up, brakes failing, steering breaking, cars driving on their own, gas tanks exploding, people are talking a scratch, a mis match of fenders which is a simple bolt adjustment. Come'on name a real issue
It's why the title of the thread is QUALITY issues no?
Not gonna lie paint issues a huge thing for me, especially on a white car.
And you'd think things like weather stripping over all four doors to keep water/rain/snow out, plus eventually its going to wear away the paint to the metal, is pretty big.

And yes, to the other poster, I've never had these kind of issues with German vehicles, and the S2000 was a 2002 AP1 and it absolutely destroyed itself in the 7 months I kept it. Multiple window regulator failures, airbag issues, catastrophic brake/clutch booster failure at freeway speed, rattles, and panels falling off everywhere. And I bought it CPO with less than 13,000 miles.

Last edited by Bigbadvoodooguru; 07-23-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:00 PM
I dunno, there were a few small issues with the 2009s but it seemed they fixed most of them by 2010-2011. There was the ECU reflash for the MPG meter and some window switch issue and the resistor on the blower motor. I can't think of anything else. My 2010 had none of these issues pop up at all.

Nothing like this though.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:40 PM
When I took delivery of my 2015 FIT, it was spotless and detailed perfectly. I went over the car with a very critical eye before accepting it. I would advise anyone buying any new vehicle to do the same. Once you drive off the lot it goes without saying you own it.
Any issues there after are warranty issues that I am sure Honda will correct. This car should not have passed Honda QC, but it did. It should not have passed dealership PDI, but it did. In the end it should have never passed the new owners critical eye, but it did. So now the new owner will need to deal with a Honda warranty. I wish you the best in getting your FIT squared away.
And run from Volkswagons the company is struggling...google them.
Cheers!

Last edited by 15/SILVER/EXL; 07-23-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by SR45
This should tell the person that replied "whoa, this thread is seriously making me thinking about passing the 2015 model year and waiting for the 2016", that he and all others should look the car over before a purchase. Now if he/she is so worried, and wants to wait until next years model, just remember GM cars today being recalled from cars many years older.
Exactly correct! There will always be something

Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
It's why the title of the thread is QUALITY issues no?
Not gonna lie paint issues a huge thing for me, especially on a white car.
And you'd think things like weather stripping over all four doors to keep water/rain/snow out, plus eventually its going to wear away the paint to the metal, is pretty big.

And yes, to the other poster, I've never had these kind of issues with German vehicles, and the S2000 was a 2002 AP1 and it absolutely destroyed itself in the 7 months I kept it. Multiple window regulator failures, airbag issues, catastrophic brake/clutch booster failure at freeway speed, rattles, and panels falling off everywhere. And I bought it CPO with less than 13,000 miles.
I agree and also never said, paint issues are not a small item, fact is though this is not the only car with paint issues, I was referring in general to someone fearing to purchase a car not in reference to paint only issues but any issues. I stand by my statement to find a car without issues.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Bigbadvoodooguru, I am not discounting your issues at all and actually my post should have said that, your issues are real and I would be furious if I had them. I was in particular posting to Henryonfit's comment about not buying a 2015. If everyone based their purchase on what a bunch of strangers said on a forum there would not be a single car in the world every sold.

Please accept my apologies if you felt I was referring to your initial post.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:10 PM
oh no problems.
I think the point of the post was 1) rant and 2) a strong suggestion to take really close looks at everything in your fit before purchase. Look left, right, UP, and down.

Unfortunately I probably got caught up in the fact they actually had a white EX-L, and coming off a 3.5 hour drive to get there, and did not notice ALL the issues.

I tend to add/update/tweak things on my cars to add functionality so I'll be around on the forums eventually.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
Unfortunately at the same time the car had some pre-existing damage, scratches, etc, and it was darker by the time I arrived.
Originally Posted by amy_wilhelmina
My experience is that my Fit did come with scratched paint
Originally Posted by TofuShop
I did notice LOTS of swirl marks all throughout the paint.
It would be interesting to keep track of VIN numbers that are having problems.

Are these cars that were damaged and then sat out on lots in the open for months waiting for rework?

Is the situation improving, or are these problems to be considered SOP for Mexican-built Hondas? One would hope that Honda was on top of this, but when they admit that they are using less automation in Celaya due to cheaper labor costs.

I find fitment and paint issues to be of critical importance because these affect the life of the vehicle. I don't want to see paint peeling off in sheets after a couple of years like it did on Mexican-built Dodges. Having one panel interfering with another like those doors is particularly inexcusable!

Oh, and dealer lies like that "aerodynamics" ploy... Is that what we see in all those "Helpful Honda" ads? Honda needs to rein in their dealers.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:42 PM
The reports i've been seeing about scratched paint UNDER plastic wrap make me think this is a QC supervision issue. I don't think it will take long before Honda Japan starts sending more Japanese QA inspectors to Mexico, at least for a little while.

God help those workers if they do that. They gonna learn today.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:43 PM
You won't find any car make that doesn't have problems. You want to see problems? Go find a Pontiac Solstice...Now that is a problem car with just a good part...somewhere. My '15 Fit, after a thorough check, is perfect. Far better than my '10 Camaro, that cost twice as much.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
I realize my last post doesn't make clear that if I were the OP of this thread I'd be apoplectic. Best of luck.

As for the Dodge Dart, I will never touch a Chrysler corporation car ever. Three of six we rented in the last 20 years gave us trouble. This last brand new Chrysler T&C we rented especially to transport two big containers of valuables on our move from NY to FL broke down on night one. Who the hell makes new cars that plain won't start?

It was major scramble to get another car, ditch the expensive containers, and dump the contents into the trunk of a stinky, scraped up Camry to make the rest of our way from VA to FL.

Betrayal that I will never forget. I can't imagine what anyone who buys one of their cars has to go through.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Never buy the first year of a brand new model, especially with a brand new design and a brand new factory. That's just asking for problems. Japanese made models are the way to go.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
As for the Dodge Dart, I will never touch a Chrysler corporation car ever....
C'mon, the Dart is sold by Chrysler, but it has quality European engineering by.....Fiat.....

Ummm.....Never mind.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:41 PM
This is a good thread to keep track of quality issues in general. I appreciate when owners report their problems as it will help me keep an eye on the different things to look out for before I sign and put money on the purchase. So far, this thread has pointed out:

Paint application
Infotainment/Camera Software issue
Door fit/alignment
Fabric/upholstery installation
A/C strength

Anyone have any more to add?

Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gunm
..........Anyone have any more to add?
Overpricing on '15 Fits by our friendly Oahu dealers!!!!!

Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
Betrayal that I will never forget. I can't imagine what anyone who buys one of their cars has to go through.
I've had a 300 in the family for going on four years. it's maintenance is kept up and the tires were finally changed from OEM at 65k miles. It's been in the shop once and repaired under warranty. The dealer gave us a rental for free.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The early ones had issues but they got it right eventually. Maybe i'm just one of the lucky ones.

But I would never buy a first M/Y car, and definitely not a first M/Y Dodge product

Old 07-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Somebody had a car delivered with a quite large bug literally in it!

However, that is a problem easily solved by the application of a Size 11.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
This is a good thread to keep track of quality issues in general. I appreciate when owners report their problems as it will help me keep an eye on the different things to look out for before I sign and put money on the purchase. So far, this thread has pointed out:

Paint application
Infotainment/Camera Software issue
Door fit/alignment
Fabric/upholstery installation
A/C strength

Honda A/C units are ALWAYS weak. My Fit's A/C was never as cold as my Fiesta's, same goes for the '12 GE 5MT.

Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit