Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

AT transmisison change interval, parts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
no i was speaking in general. i recommend all aftermarket boosted automatics to run Amsoil ATF.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
thank god....

Old 04-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
no i was speaking in general. i recommend all aftermarket boosted automatics to run Amsoil ATF.
Just to clarify the quote earlier was just to emphasize your logical statement "or until I'm boosted" which is an XOR. I inferred you had implied I was going to boost the car, based on my previous statements.

Yes... I will most likely boost this car... maybe with a rear turbo setup... delete the muffler deal.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
Do you feel there's a problem with it in a non-boosted car/stock AT transmission? If so please advise, I am clueless about this but know that I drive my AT very hard and want to be really on top of maintenance.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by jsensk
Do you feel there's a problem with it in a non-boosted car/stock AT transmission? If so please advise, I am clueless about this but know that I drive my AT very hard and want to be really on top of maintenance.
sorry for the delayed response.

If there isnt a problem, dont change it. Increased torque (from F/I) induces more heat to the transmission, and heat is damaging. No need to change early either. I'd drain/fill ATF every 50k, even with hard city beating. (Honda ATF).

Now, if u're not pushing excess torque/hp thats beyond the scope of the factory, then theres no need to worry. ATF is not like motor oil. Even if u drive very hard, the stock ATF cooler built-in the radiator should keep temps relatively normal.

Honda ATF is perfectly fine. Dont change the brand til AFTER you have boosted. See how the transmission behaves, get a ATF temp gauge, monitor the temps. If you see the temps start climbing, time to get an aftermarket trans cooler. Then observe temps some more. If persists, time for Amsoil. If nothing changes, then no need to switch ATF type. But a temp gauge is a sure investment.

Also, during a fluid change, you can get a sample of the fluid and send it to blackstone-labs.com and have it analyzed. They have a free kit to collect it. They analyze the atf and see if it needs sooner intervals or a different fluid is in order, or even any wear and tear. They also analyze motor oil and determine change intervals. This is the only sure-fire method to determine whats going on with your fluids.

Now, when changing brands, remember that you must do a flush, not a simple drain and fill. You do not want to mix different ATF's, as they exhibit different friction modifiers slightly.

Again, i'm speaking only of Honda ATF and Amsoil ATF. Never use any other types.

Last edited by 03DSM-RSX; 04-21-2008 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Cool-- and thanks very much for the reply. But it won't hurt to run the Amsoil ATF before boosted? I mean if you just want to be really prudent about it? Or is it just a total waste?

I am driving my AT really hard and want to baby the tranny as much as possible. The cost side of replacement is not that big a deal to me-- and know I need to FLUSH the old fluid out-- not just replace (so it's 12 quarts Amsoil and not just 3).

Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
It wouldnt hurt, but i wouldnt do it.

Synthetic petrol takes longer to warm up, and running cold ATF longer than normal is just as bad as overheated ATF. But it shouldnt ever affect it that drastic running pre-boosted.

The application of boost helps warm up pick up quicker do to the added torque.