Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

LED tailights, install, convert, DIYs

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Best mod I ever did to the car so far. I love them, they look great. I need to post some pictures lol

Old 07-26-2007, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Okay. I've read all the posts...and I'm totally confused. I've got a 2007 Honda Fit and I'm Canadian. So far I've gleaned the following from reading all the posts. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) You have to remove the rear bumper to remove the original taillights and to install the LED taillights? If this is the case, is it difficult to remove the bumper?

2) You need to extend the original wires (which I have no problem doing).

3) You use the two sockets from the factory harness for the turn signal and the brakes. The backup light has to be "forced" to fit?

I saw these replica JDM LED tail from some "JDM Specialties" store on eBay. Has anyone tried them? Are the LEDs as bright as the OEM ones?

Old 07-28-2007, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
I got mine from N1 concepts. Might want to do a search for them. They have really good prices.

Ok, now to try and answer your questions...

1) No you won't need to remove the bumper. There 3 nuts on each light behind the access panels that will need to be removed. There's also a small screw at the bottom of the taillight. You'll need to get on your back, get a shoplight or something and shine it up behind the bumper and you'll see a small phillips head screw. That little bugger needs to come out, then the tails will pop right out.

2) I extended the wires because it wasn;t that big of an issue, and isn't for most people, but I've been told that you can pop the clips off that hold the wiring in place behind the rear plastic cover and they will work without extending them. Not sure if that's true or not. Extending them seemed like a better idea then trying to force it to work.

3) As far as the sockets go, The turn and brake signal sockets seem to fit perfectly. I did have a small problem with the reverse lights, but they seem to be fine now. They were a little tricky. The tails install tight, so water shouldn't be a problem. I tested mine to see if they were leaking after I installed them. Perfectly dry.

4) The ones you listed look like they'll fit perfectly but like I said, check out N1 Concepts. The shipping was a little cheaper and the customer service was great. I was really impressed.

*BTW, mine are the smoked lenses. My turn signal housings are tinted. You can still see the blinker fine. I don't think the Canadian Fits are any different as far as fitment of the tails, but someone else will need to chime in on that one. Not too sure about that.

Hope that helped!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
those look real nice there Crawly , maybe you could help me with mine one of these days :P

one question is that where your rear wiper normally rests?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 AM
Like Crawly said above. The install is easy just buy a 8" or grater screwdriver so you don't have to mess with the bumper. Extend the wires. I only extended my passengers side. It took me about an hour but I took allot of breaks and some photos of the process.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
lol as far as I know Mud, I've never used it lol
I see the other ones sitting lower, maybe I'll switch it on later and see if I can get it to sit down a little. Nice catch, thanks for the heads up.....I never even noticed.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Crawly: lets just hope that its not been bent out of its wiping area.

I seen a mod "somewhere" where you can reverse the wiper (basically reversing the wiper motor) and when finished the wipers "resting" position is at the far right of its normal travel, (standing nearly straight up and down on the right hand side of window) I think it looks rather cool myself.

something to think about

Old 08-08-2007, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
I went out at lunch and turned it on....for the first time lol and it went down to its normal position. Again, good catch. Thanks man. It looks a lot better now lol

Old 08-13-2007, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
I have found these rear lights in ebay.They are not the original JDM.
Can you tell me if they have lights for the reverse?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
If you're talking about the same lights that I have, yes they have the reverse lights. Under the LED brake lamp is the reverse light.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
well ..... whew ..... what a chore and a lot of back and forth.

first I'll say I went the stretch and pull the wire route , and was able to muster up *just* enough slack to get the lights plugged in. turn sig on top and reverse on bottom.
one thing I have to point out is the lights (smoke) off ebay have good fitment (when you go to change yours make sure to look close at your stock lights and the space that there is around it so you don't expect TOO much from the aftermarket knockoffs :P ) I filed off the top most edge of the smoke part as it was a bit turned up just at the edge.

Now , this is where I hope I can save someone some time that get the same tails. ....

the post on the bottom of the housing ( the one that the BOTTOM screw goes into ) was TOO LONG. I cut off about 1/8 of an inch and then it FIT quite nicely. reason I say save some time is cause I was thinking the problem of the light not seating on the bottom right was the little peg near the post.

So, a big pain in the @SS later I'm happy lol

I went the crawly way and took out and replaced the screw on the bottom of housing from on the ground.

oh, one other thing on the passenger side to get slack I took off the bottom black center plastic ( the part where the hatch latch secures. lift up the spare tire cover and pretty much just pull up along its length. there are *i think , now* 4 white plugs on the top part of that piece. if any get stuck in the car and don't come off with the black plastic simply pop it out with a flat head and place it back in its slot. it was the reverse light that needed more slack. it is the FAT solid black wire and the green yellow wire, I started from the driver side taking up all the slack I could, and pulled it all to the right. plugged in the reverse and snapped the black center plastic in place.

more of a headache than it needed to be , but at the end of the day I'm glad I did it as it certainly looks MUCH better to my eye than the stock tails.

I'll see if I can't talk my neighbor into taking a few more pics.

till then peace.

Last edited by Mud_Bone; 08-16-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:43 AM
vbo
Originally Posted by gummyrabbit
Okay. I've read all the posts...and I'm totally confused. I've got a 2007 Honda Fit and I'm Canadian. So far I've gleaned the following from reading all the posts. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) You have to remove the rear bumper to remove the original taillights and to install the LED taillights? If this is the case, is it difficult to remove the bumper?

2) You need to extend the original wires (which I have no problem doing).

3) You use the two sockets from the factory harness for the turn signal and the brakes. The backup light has to be "forced" to fit?

I saw these replica JDM LED tail from some "JDM Specialties" store on eBay. Has anyone tried them? Are the LEDs as bright as the OEM ones?

Don't have probleme ? Plug and play ?

Good quality ?

If i buy a JDM(Honda) taillight. It's plug and play ? What i have more with a Original ?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:46 AM
wiring with no splicing...

Hi,

I just installed the JDM LED all clear tails, and they look GREAT on a NBP fit!

Here's a tip you might use:

If you're incredibly anal like me, you HATE to splice the OEM harness (I know, I know, it's not difficult, and you can do it cleanly, I just can't bring myself to do it....). If you are not this anal, feel free to ignore the rest of my post.

I looked around and tried to find the OEM plugs to make my own wiring extenders, but of course, they're very expensive.

But, a still expensive (but less so) alternative is to get the wiring harness for a trailer (here's the one I got).

Sure, it's another $50 shipped, but it comes with plugs and pigtails, and is cheaper than the OEM plugs and pigtails, and as a bonus, you get the trailer wiring. (Just in case you ever want to tow a little trailer, yes I know the Fit isn't the best trailering vehicle, just give me this.).

If you get this, you have two options:
1. If you don't care about having working trailer wiring, you can butcher the harness into wiring extensions, guilt free. There's plenty of wire and connectors to extend the wires you usually have to.

2. If you want to have working trailer wiring after the install, unfortunately, this wiring harness does not have a hookup for, and therefore does NOT extend, the backup light on the drivers side. If you're lucky enough to be able to find enough slack in this wire to connect this light, you're golden.
If you don't have the slack, and want working trailer wiring, then yes, you do have to extend the reverse wires on the drivers side..

If you go this route, my main tip is that most people have to extend the turn signal and the brake light on the PASSENGER side. This wiring harness wants to be installed on the driver's side, so the green wire for the passenger (right) turn signal is really long, and the others are short. Clip the extra length of green wire, splice this into the yellow wire, and mount the black box on the passenger side. This will allow you to extend the length of the passenger side brake light and turn signals.

If the additional wire is still not enough, you can double the length of each by cutting and extending the white wire, and pulling extra length of the color wires through the zip tie.

So, yeah, if I haven't lost you yet, this is a $50 expense, and you end up splicing a lot of wires, but you can usually keep all of these on the trailer harness, and you can do all the splices at your work bench instead of in the car.
I'm guessing this mod will appeal to at least a few others who also don't like slicing the OEM harness.

Hope some find this useful!

Last edited by lubricus; 09-13-2007 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:08 PM
what site can you order the jdm leds on

Old 11-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor
Old 11-19-2007, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
i just installed mines today!
i love'em! i got the full-smoked genuine honda ones. i actually bought'em off 'WRX112' from the 'for sale / want to buy' threads. he was real helpful and a cool guy!
i will try and post pictures tomorrow if i get the chance!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member

These are the ones from Zeta Products. They look great on the BOM!

Last edited by kndlewis; 11-20-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kndlewis

These are the ones from Zeta Products. They look great on the BOM!
Yo kndlewis can u take some closeup shots of the taillights? like from the side (i want to see fitment) and maybe with the LED'S actually lit from far away? Any kind of shots will help me a lot. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Hi,
Anyone knows if i can put this Tail LED lights N1 Concepts: MotorFicionado - Premier Northern California Import Car Source
in my 2002 FiT...and if not, where can i find one?

Thanxs.....I apreciated any answer

Old 11-19-2007, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
Yo kndlewis can u take some closeup shots of the taillights? like from the side (i want to see fitment) and maybe with the LED'S actually lit from far away? Any kind of shots will help me a lot. Thanks!
ill help ya out on that one bro... ive posted these before but just thought id put em together here

Quick Reply: LED tailights, install, convert, DIYs