Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

LED tailights, install, convert, DIYs

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Thumbs down

I did mine without extending many wires, the only wires need to be extended was the driver side reverse light. I recommend you to undo the rubber door seal, then pop those plastic cover open, then untie those cable tie, therefore all wires lose. It took 30 mins to replace both tail (include uninstall & install bumper). I use shrink tube instead soldering / butt connector, simple and clean.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
LED T/Ls in, CC goes south

Bought and installed Wheels & Grillze JDM LED Tail Lights. Same as original except for LED Stop and Tail. Looks good, works great....except....

Driving on a trip this past weekend using CC, it gets dark, turned the lights on and... CC drops out and CC light goes out. CC Main still on, CC will not set.
Today disconnected the T/Ls, turned on lights and CC worked just fine.

08 FIT Sport, MT, just at 1000 mi.

HELP!!!!!(please)

Old 09-17-2008, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
What does CC stand for?

Old 09-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Cruise Control

Old 09-17-2008, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Same thing happened to me last year when I put on Depot LED tails.
My theory was that the lighting circuit was "leaking" into the brake circuit, thus cancelling the cruise control, as if you touched the brakes.
My solution was to add diodes on the wires at the tail lights.
Diodes act as "check valves" for current flow. A diode on each wire (4 total, hot wire on the tail and brake on each side) will prevent any back flow current.
I bought 3 amp diodes at Radio Shack (about $2 a pair) and haven't had any more trouble. That was about a year ago.
It's a simple (and cheap) fix that works well. Diodes are directional. That is, they pass current in only one direction. Cut the tail light wire between the plug and the light and temporarily wrap the wires around each end of the diode. Turn on the lights. If the light does not work, turn the diode around. All four will need to be installed in the same direction (power goes into the light and out the ground connection). I used butt splices to crimp the wires to the diodes for a secure connection and slipped a piece of shrink tubing over the assembly so the exposed diode leads couldn't short against anything.
Your lights will work fine and your car will look great! Good luck!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Looking at getting some jdm tail lights. Wondering if there are any issues other than needing to extend the wiring that I need to be aware of.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Hey whats the best place to buy the smoked led tails?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
I got honda oem ones. I suggest the same. The quality is amazing. I have yet to put them in though. I bought extra plugs for the reverse and turn signal that if the wires need extended, I will just solder wire bewteen those plugs. As for the tails, try ajracing or look for used ones. They pop up all the time. In the line of aftermarket tails, depo seems to be well received.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Syco54645
I got honda oem ones. I suggest the same. The quality is amazing. I have yet to put them in though. I bought extra plugs for the reverse and turn signal that if the wires need extended, I will just solder wire bewteen those plugs. As for the tails, try ajracing or look for used ones. They pop up all the time. In the line of aftermarket tails, depo seems to be well received.

yea sorry i meant depo's i cant justify the price difference for virtually the same thing. If this were headlights where beam pattern mattered etc i would go oem... but if the fit finish and look is 95% oem for more then 1/2 the cost im going with depo... so i need to find a place that sells them

Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
ah ok. aj racing is the way to go. i really need to install my tails...

Old 03-26-2009, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
yea i bought coils from them... i wont be buying from them ever again.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
oh if you dont mind my asking, why is that? i was about to order from them shortly.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...k2-vs-t1r.html

and the customer service was just poor. I spoke with ben most of the time and he gave me mostly empty promises. He said he would give me a deal on my next order, and when i asked for a price it was 20 bucks more then anywhere else and then shipping on that, wouldnt give me free shipping or anything. I just was left with a bad impression that wasnt very professional

Old 05-25-2009, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
I just installed the JDM tails, but I'm stuck at figuring out wich OEM bulbs to use on the JDM tail..The OEM lights had 4 bulbs in total connected to the them, but it seems only 2 of these bulbs are to be used/connected to the JDM tails(please correct me if I'm wrong). It appears the JDM depo lights only have 2 places to connect bulbs: the top and the bottom.
eg: passenger side OEM tail inside view, we have:
top bulb: stop/taillight
left middle bulb: reverse light
right middle bulb: turn signal
bottom bulb: brake light
So, which of these OEM bulbs connects to the JDM tail and where?

Old 05-25-2009, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Pheww..nm I got it, wow this was a pita but finally did it..
I'm sure everyone knows by now the order of the bulbs for the JDM tails:
top: amber bulb(signal light)/blue socket
center: LEDs goes with the OEM signal/green socket harness(this is where I had gotten confused)
and bottom: brake light/gray socket

I see why the sockets need to be shaved some, there's no other way they'd go in unless this is done.

They look awesome!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 PM
just installed some blue reverse bulbs. it looks cleean! i love it

Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
quick question for a newb

i just orders some depo led tails. do i need to buy new bulbs? and if so which ones? do i actually buy leds or what? im so confused!

Old 07-30-2009, 01:59 AM
PLEASE HELP!!!! i have swapped my original factory tail light assemblys for LED ones. now when i press the break the parking lamp sybol lights up on the cluster and the dash lights up as though i had turned on the parking lamps. Is anoying durring day but not noticable at night for that light is always on....anyone else have this problem or ideas on how to combat this?

Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
quick question for a newb

i just orders some depo led tails. do i need to buy new bulbs? and if so which ones? do i actually buy leds or what? im so confused!
no u don't need to buy any new bulbs, ur oem ones are going to be reused.

Originally Posted by offshorejason
PLEASE HELP!!!! i have swapped my original factory tail light assemblys for LED ones. now when i press the break the parking lamp sybol lights up on the cluster and the dash lights up as though i had turned on the parking lamps. Is anoying durring day but not noticable at night for that light is always on....anyone else have this problem or ideas on how to combat this?
I had the same problem, thinking that something is wrong with the taillights... Actually it's the cars electrical system. There is not enough voltage being sent out to the circuitry. I bet u have LED running lights (the lights above the headlights) and u have LED license plate bulbs, am i right? Well all those led's arent' giving enough load, so it's causing that wierd flickering effect when u step on the brakes. The easiest way to fix this is to replace the front running lights back to regular bulbs OR replace the license plate led's back to bulbs. The hard way would be to install an inline load resistor to the runninglights. I'd just switch out the front running lights back to bulbs and that'll fix ur problem.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:20 AM
much appreciated...i have never run into that problem with any other vehicle i have ever owned...weird! but i will definately try reconnecting some ofthe bulbs.

thanks

Quick Reply: LED tailights, install, convert, DIYs