General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Warranty Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:52 PM
I had the same "check gas cap" problem last night, about an hour after I got gas in Jersey. It is against the law to pump your own gas in Jersey and I don't remember hearing the cap click. Anyway, I took the cap off, tapped it on the door and it actually popped real loud, like something was stuck in the cap itself. I put the cap back on and the warning went away in less than a half hour of driving. The manual states that there is no reset for this, and it could take days of normal driving before the warning goes out. If it is not remedied the "check engine light" will come on. I would just make sure it is secure and change the display to your normal view. Check it once in a while. Mine went away as I was driving, so you I know it doesn't reset by the ignition being on or off. :-)

Old 06-20-2006, 03:33 AM
Here's something for you from a Honda tech.. As for dealing with that stupid "gas cap message", there's two things you can do.

First, loosen the gas cap and retighten it. Drive it for a few days and it should reset itself depending on the your driving conditions.

Second, you can go to the dealer and complain about the message. Then what I do is go into my little scan tool and erase the temporary EVAP code and take my .6 warranty time and send you on your merry way.

But if you really want to fix it yourself, just make sure you've got your radio code and then disconnect the battery. Turn the headlights on to drain the residual power and let it sit for at least 30 seconds. That should be enough time to reset the ecu and clear the temporary code itself.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Code

We discussed clearing the code by disconnecting the battery cable at work.

With no technical data, there is no way for me to tell how long the trans adapts would take to reset, and this is so weird compared to what I've seen in the past it's much more interesting to see how long it takes to clear it's self.

Since the cap was tight and so far I've driven through 14 key cycles and about 75 miles with the message not clearing, my experience will give reassurance to others when I can report how long I have to drive and when it does clear and, if it is something other than a freak set of circumstances, an idea of what to expect if and when it happens to them.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Check Gas Cap

Just to report:

Light's off

15 or so key cycles
75 miles
36 hours.

Wish one of the Honda techs would look in their manual and let us know the conditions for setting the code, and for it to clear.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm getting the dumb check gas cap warning now. I just retightened it and hope it eventually goes out. I'm pretty sure i twist it until it starts clicking though so it shouldnt have gone off in the first place.

My second complaint about the car is that the magic seats in the back are too lose. They pop up too easy (a gentle pull upwards releases them, it should be tighter IMO). I was just adjusting some stuff in the trunk, and one of the rear seats poped up out of the latch.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:06 AM
I actually just started getting the "check gas cap" message yesterday as well. I always tighten until it clicks and the message didnt go on after I refilled the tank. It went on after the car sat in my driveway for a day without being used. I did take it off and then retighten it with a couple clicks, but so far I still have the message. It's probably been about 60 miles since it was tightened. Looking forward to see the thing turn off and know I don't have a real problem.

Edit: No warranty repair needed. Cap was retightened and I pulled fuse #16 under the hood for about 30 seconds to clear the ECM. Message is now gone and a lot easier than unhooking the battery and losing my radio presets. =)

Last edited by Rhyno; 06-22-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Car: 07 Honda Fit Sport AT

Problem: Passenger side wind shield wiper blade broke while washing my car. A piece of cloth was caught on one side and snaped the inside of the blade.
Date of occurance: 06/10/06

Repair: I took it to a Honda dealer and they replaced it under warranty no problem although they did have to check it in and "inspect it" in order to have it covered under warranty.
Date of repair: 06/22/06
Repair time: 30 Minutes at dealer.
Cost: $0.00 Warranty Repair

Original thread: Wind Shield Blade Broken

Last edited by KenClunk; 06-22-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
I ordered a fit last weekend, and will have to wait about 2 months for delivery. But I am curious were the "check gas cap" message displays. Is it a warning light, like low oil pressure? Also, where does the remaining oil life display? I have read about it in this forum, but never noticed a display for it when I looked at the car.

Also, is there a place where I can see an owner's manual online? I would like to read it before I get the car so I am prepared!

Thanks, Joe

Old 06-23-2006, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit_ness
I took my Fit in for warranty work for inadequate low-beam headlights.

They did nothing, I paid nothing. I re-aimed them myself and all is well.

It also pulls a bit to the left. (Silver MT Sport built 3-15-06)
My car pulls to the left as well... anyone else have this problem?

Old 06-23-2006, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation

ahhh... My car wont go in gear and when I put my shifter in "D" you hear a big CLUNK and nothing happens. Oh NO! I cant even gas it when its in "D" I can only gas it when I'm in reverse.

How can I get it to an authorized dealer? The dealership I bought my FIT is in Palm Springs My car should be in warrenty right?

Old 06-23-2006, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
wow man! That sounds terrible! Tow it! Honda should take up the slack!

As for the Pulling to the left, Mines does too! I'm looking for a dealership that has the alignment specs in their computer!! NONE have then on Long island it seems.....

Old 06-23-2006, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gettinafit
wow man! That sounds terrible! Tow it! Honda should take up the slack!
Tell me about it, the sad thing too is my wife and I were on the way to thursday service

Old 06-23-2006, 12:55 PM
I am curious about issues with the automatic transmission. I have heard that they have more than their share of problems. I wonder if it's something to do with the whole sport mode thing and some problem there.

Luckily I have a manual anyways.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 4dr4life!
ahhh... My car wont go in gear and when I put my shifter in "D" you hear a big CLUNK and nothing happens. Oh NO! I cant even gas it when its in "D" I can only gas it when I'm in reverse.

How can I get it to an authorized dealer? The dealership I bought my FIT is in Palm Springs My car should be in warrenty right?
I'm not sure this applies down there but isn't there a 1-800 number on your windshield for roadside emergencies? Mine is good for 3 years.

Check your warrenty booklet.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit_ness

It also pulls a bit to the left. (Silver MT Sport built 3-15-06)
Funny, I also have a Silver MT (base) that I picked up in Apr. that pulls left (in my opinion). Took it back to the dealer after driving it 2 days, rode around w/the tech and of course he didn't feel it. I figured it was me just being used to the pull on my crappy CRV.

I still think it kinda pulls now, but I try not to trip on it too much. Although I probably test it once a week.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Called American Honda and talked to a Rep about my problem. Its still under warranty and I'll be taking it too the dealer either today or tomorrow. Im car pooling with the wife and I have to go pick her up later.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by hatchgeek
Funny, I also have a Silver MT (base) that I picked up in Apr. that pulls left (in my opinion). Took it back to the dealer after driving it 2 days, rode around w/the tech and of course he didn't feel it. I figured it was me just being used to the pull on my crappy CRV.

I still think it kinda pulls now, but I try not to trip on it too much. Although I probably test it once a week.
My steering wheel feels like it's a bit to the left when the car is going straight...is that covered in the warranty?

Old 06-24-2006, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
my steering wheel feels a bit to the left as well!! And yes it is definately covered in the warranty! The dealer you go to just has to have the alignment specs for the car! As of now, i don't think that many places have that info yet..... At least not North Shore Honda ON long isalnd!!

THEY SUCk!

Old 06-24-2006, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
For those waiting on their Fit...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... and are interested in getting ready for it, when it arrives, you can view the Owner's Manual on-line and start familiarizing yourself with it.

This also will help answer a lot of those questions that you may have.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...7/AA0707OM.pdf

Old 06-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Windows

We lowered the rear passenger window today. When it was raised, the rubber sill on the inside came loose. Between the low gas mileage and a warranty repair within the first week, I am really disappointed.

Quick Reply: Warranty Repairs