General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Warranty Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Storm Silver Sport which was in the first batch of deliveries, arriving April 18. No paint problem. I've been washing weekly and waxing every 2-3 weeks, mainly because the car sits at work in the sun all day and we get nasty thunderstorms and bugs, bugs, bugs -- big, juicy bugs slamming into cars on the highway. A couple of tiny chips on the bumper appeared and I touched them up. The bumper is a bug magnet, but I've found that the bugs come off easily with Meguiars Detail spray.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Are the paint problems restricted to any particular colors? Or did some cars miss their clearcoat. I have an early VIN (953) Storm Silver Metallic and no paint problems other than a couple of road chips on the front fender. I have even had an argument with a traffic cone at about 50mph ( car ahead of me nudged it into my path in a construction zone) which left black marks and scratches, these I compounded out easily and now there are no marks. I also wash with a sheepskin mitt but use Meguiars Gel Wash, no noticeable swirls even gets the bugs off. I have one new problem. The black plastic trim at back of the rear door/window has detached at the top, I'll point it out next time I go by the dealer, see what they do.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:04 PM
I did manage all formal issues with my insurance company and Honda dealer. They will reapair the damage on my door (the litle scratch will get painted).

I have had a conversation with the insurrance valuer and he is a former Honda dealer. He said, that only blue (dark blue) and one more color are critical - the layer is too thin. So my next "quest" is to claim it.

I will inform you...

Last edited by kocba; 09-20-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:09 PM
mine is black, honda told me they didnt have any other complaints about black. they painted my roof and hood as a "favor" not under warrenty. they wanted no responsibity for this. the rest of my car has very "soft" paint.

what can i do at this point? i am so tired of fighting - i am still not happy with my gas miliage and will be calling again about that. but i just havent had the energy.

today I brought it in for its first oil change - maintenance minder came on at 4500 miles.

i complained about the windshield wipers scraping the windsheild and the changed them under warrenty.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 AM
I've had my car since last Friday (Taffeta White AT Sport). I used some bug remover today to clean up my front bumper, hood, and side mirrors. I noticed that I already have two or three really small chips in my hood, and there are a bunch of really tiny brown spots all over my front bumper. You can't really see them unless you get right on it. I thought that they may just be little bugs, but I can't really get any of them to wipe out. One or two came off with a lot of effort. I have no idea what the spots are from.

I'm more concerned with the chips in my hood. I've been really careful not to drive closely behind people to avoid that kind of thing. The paint on all of the Fits must be paper thin. How long does the warranty last on the paint? I figure I'll wait awhile and see how many more chips appear and then take it in to the dealer.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
you have those brown spots too? I thought they were from the trees I'm parked under. (I have a white AT Sport too, btw.)

I've notice I can kinda scratch them off with my fingernail. I think they are rust spots...

Old 09-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Yep, they're all over the place on the front bumper. I thought they were rust spots at first, but that doesn't really make sense as I'm pretty sure the front bumper isn't metallic. I have no clue what they are.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:12 PM
honda will tell you its that dreaded acid rain.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:36 PM
lmao. Acid rain? It's rained once on my car. If they think one bout of 'acid rain' is enough to screw up my bumper like that they're ridiculous.

I also noticed another problem with my paint earlier today. There's an area at the bottom of my hood where it looks like the paint dried in mid-drip. Here's a picture:

Old 09-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by pgreene
lmao. Acid rain? It's rained once on my car. If they think one bout of 'acid rain' is enough to screw up my bumper like that they're ridiculous.

I also noticed another problem with my paint earlier today. There's an area at the bottom of my hood where it looks like the paint dried in mid-drip. Here's a picture:

OMG, i would claim that

As it seems, Honda really has severe problems regarding painting. This is the only problem I could notice.

My mileage is superb, so I have no complaint regarding it - it avarages between 5,8 - 6,5 L/100km.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by pgreene

looks to me like they are rushing these little guys out as fast as they can. i am happy the engines are well built but dude in a year when we are all driving matt black cars that run well, dont think we will care much.

oh and please please call honda and tell them about this. they need to know that there is a real problem and not just some fussy people who complain a lot.

Last edited by roenyc; 09-24-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Smile No paint problem

Bought my Silver Storm Sport A/T on April 19, 2006 with no problems.
boatfloyd

Old 10-04-2006, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
what is the mean "bumper to bumper" from the warranty??

Old 10-06-2006, 02:28 PM
I guess I've been lucky (so far) with the paint issue. I bought mine in July and I've kept a close watch on it but no problems I can find yet. Funny though, I had a friend 15 years ago with a Prelude who told me he'd never buy another Honda due to the paint problems he had.

bob

Old 10-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sy11580
what is the mean "bumper to bumper" from the warranty??
i think it means from your front bumper to your rear bumper (as in your entire car)?

Old 10-08-2006, 06:32 AM
I have spoken to the service manager for Slovenia. I was told that since 2000 EU has changed policy for paints: all paints must be made on water basis.

Result of this is: since then paints have become less tenacious and more fragile. So avoid any scratches.

I have also been adwised that the minimum layer of paint coating should be 80 micrometers. I am going to measure it and keep you updated...

Old 10-08-2006, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Of note-

From-
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...06/112_news65/
Honda Recalls 35,000 Subcompact Vehicles (Japan Specs)
AFX News Limited - July 28, 2006
Honda Motor Co said it will recall 35,419 of its Fit subcompact cars to replace defective brake lamp switches. The cars were made between December 2004 and May 2005 to Japanese specifications and sold at home, a spokesman for the firm said. The recall will not apply to any Fit car sold abroad.
A lubricant had been improperly applied to the switch in the manufacturing process which could prevent the brake lamp from being turned on, the carmaker said in a report to the transport ministry.

There have been 1,917 reports from dealerships about the defect but no accident has resulted, it added.

------------
From 8/11/06
http://motorway.dailynews.com/ci_4168591
The early Fits that came to the States are among some 1.2 million Honda vehicles that have "incorrect contact information" for NHTSA in their owner manuals, resulting in a safety recall announced in July.

-----------
Most searches show no recalls for 2007 Honda Fit.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
passenger airbags always disabled?

I've read the manual about this but am still confused.

Usually I drive solo. However occasionally I do have a passenger but the light always comes on to tell me the passenger airbag is off.

The manual says it might be because I have something heavy in the seatback pocket (nope), or the seat is jammed back too hard against the lowered back seats (nope), or that maybe my non-Honda floor mats are screwing up the weight sensors.

I took out the rt rear floor mat (the one the manual said could cause the problem) and flipped that rear seat up to tall mode. Still the light comes on when passenger is present.

Anyone else having this problem? I'll certainly mention it next time I go by dealership but thought I'd ask around first.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
If the passenger is not sitting straight in the seat, the light may come on. The idea is that the side airbag will not deploy if the passenger is possibly leaning into it's deployment path. If your passenger is sitting up straight and is more than 60 pounds, and the light stays on, you should have your dealer investigate.

I accidentally caused the light to go on with no passenger in the seat. I rested my hand on the seat, just right of the stick shift. When I leaned on the seat to pick up something on the floor, the light went on.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
I have only had one problem with a MT Sport purchased 5/29.

The button for AC would not push in all the way so it would not turn on. This happened after owning about 3 months. I stuck a folded piece of paper in the gap so it would work until taken in for repair.

This is the first broken part I have had on a Honda after previously owning a 2001 S2000 and 2004 Civic SI. The quality is amazing.

Quick Reply: Warranty Repairs