General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Warranty Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Issues with Dash Lights and Odometer

I bought my Fit three weeks ago and am very happy with it except for one nproblem I am havin. I know I will have to take it into the dealer to be resolved, but I've been working on cars for over 25 years and have yet to be satisfied with any dealer work, not to mention that I think the problem is one of those that will take several visits. I'm hoping someone knowledgeable on the forum can help....

When I first start my Fit in the morning, everything works fine. At some point thereafter (haven't been able to find the exact trigger yet) the odometer will get dim, and the following indicator lamps will no longer funstion on the dash: Gear indicator (PRNDLS), seat belt warning light, red gear incator LED display (shows what gear you are in when usig Sport mode) goes dim as well.

While in this state, I can turn on the headlamps and use the birghtness knob to try and adjust the settings. When I do this, it does adjust the brightness, but the maximum brightness is the dimmed state.

Once the car gets into this mode, it's done for the day. The next morning it will be fine for a period.

Also, when in this state, the seat belt chime will continue to sound normally, just no indicator light on the dash.

All other dash lights appear to be functioning normally.

I suspect it's not anything in the dash, rather it is some sort of central computer device which controls the light that is malfunctioning when the car heats up and only returning to normal after it has had the night to cool.

Anyone seen this? Got any ideas on loose connectors I can check? Can you point me in the direction of the control unit?

Thanks in advance.
-Fred

Old 08-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Have I overlooked a thread on recall notices for the US market? I know the Fit is new to the US but you never know. I would like the thread to be strickly recall notices/question. FitDC

Old 08-20-2007, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wwetmor
I would say that almost every other time I get gas the "check your fuel cap" message comes on. Knowing that I properly put the cap on right the first time, I again take the cap off and reinstall it and still get the same message.
I drove from Bakersfield, CA to the Bay Area with my gas cap hanging on the open gas cap door and the light never triggered... didn't figure that one out.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
This is for anyone who took there car in for the SRS recall...

Has anyone had any problems shifting/using the paddles while driving?
Like before I took my car in for the recall I was able to use the paddle shifters while in D mode and now I cant, only to downshift sometimes not even able to downshift. Even in S mode Id take off slowly and try to shift into 2nd and it wouldnt? Bringing my RPM's really high and Id have to let go of the gas. Just curious if anyone having this problem? Im going to call Honda about this...

Old 09-21-2007, 10:52 AM
I bought my fit 9/14/07 and just couple days ago i took a close look from behind the fit and notice and the right rear is a bit off, the upper part seems like is going in more, the camber is off? i also notice by doing finger length measurements that the right (passenger side) suspensions is a bit higher, for example... the driver side would be exactly 3 fingers and the right would be 3 and some change, i thought it would be as simple as letting the springs and shocks settle in, but i don't think thats the problem. Is this something the dealer will look at for me?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by hmgFIT
I bought my fit 9/14/07 and just couple days ago i took a close look from behind the fit and notice and the right rear is a bit off, the upper part seems like is going in more, the camber is off? i also notice by doing finger length measurements that the right (passenger side) suspensions is a bit higher, for example... the driver side would be exactly 3 fingers and the right would be 3 and some change, i thought it would be as simple as letting the springs and shocks settle in, but i don't think thats the problem. Is this something the dealer will look at for me?
This question has been covered in another thread. As I recall, the previous poster had the same problem, went to the dealer, and was told that Honda uses different springs on one side of the car than on the other (and I don't remember that the explanation for this was particularly logical). Anyway, be prepared to be brushed off by your dealer.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:02 AM
so it wouldn't hurt to buy new springs and get a alignment done, do you think that will fix this issue?

Old 09-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by hmgFIT
so it wouldn't hurt to buy new springs and get a alignment done, do you think that will fix this issue?
If the new springs were your intention for the future anyway, that would seem like a sure cure for the lopsided car. My Fit does not sit on a tilt at least to my eye, and I have not changed the springs so I can't tell you from experience that this will solve your problem. But if the answer in the older thread was TRUE about Honda's use of different springs on each side, then after-market springs seem like a sure thing to straighten up the stance.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:29 AM
could be affected by how much gas you have in the tank maybe?

just a guess..

Old 09-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
If the new springs were your intention for the future anyway, that would seem like a sure cure for the lopsided car. My Fit does not sit on a tilt at least to my eye, and I have not changed the springs so I can't tell you from experience that this will solve your problem. But if the answer in the older thread was TRUE about Honda's use of different springs on each side, then after-market springs seem like a sure thing to straighten up the stance.
yeah it is not noticible at all, i had to get close and really measure it, but thats what im thinking as well, thanks for the comment.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Small but annoying problems

In another thread I addressed a problem I thought I was having with my LX dome light. It doesn't dim out like that manual said it would. It goes on and off when I open and close the door ... so not a huge problem ... anyway ... inquired about this at my Fit's first service ... the service department agreed that it should dim and to bring it back on a weekday so they can try and source the problem. I'll let you know how we fared ...

2nd problem ... (I think) .... quite often when I get into the car to go somewhere I will notice that the driver's door is not properly closed when I really thought I closed it firmly ... a few times now this has happed when leaving the car ... one time my hubby locked it up for the night (it then rained) and I came out the next day to a wet interior ... at first I was baffled ... today I just noticed that the door open indicator on the instrument gauge only comes on when my engine is running ... I'm now a little paranoid about the car being properly closed up ... I'm practically slamming my door shut just to make sure it's closed ... my old car would always have something light up to indicate a door was not properly closed. Manual just says the little icon should light up. Any thoughts on this? Do I have a door problem? A wiring problem? Or just weak arms?
I recently got remote entry so I feel a little better when I hit the button twice and the car honks ... hope it's not lying to me!

Thanks for listening and for any comments or advice you might have!

Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 AM
just brought mine in for it's final warranty repairs (35800 miles now...)

the LCD in my radio cracked when it was like 95 out last month, and the shift knob wore out, so i got a new one...

just found out today the radio (fit sport) was on backorder... could be a couple months til i can see what track i'm on...

so far i have only needed 1 other warranty repair - replacing a worn clutch pedal cover...

Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Brought my WTaff in for its first oil change. ( 7500 miles). I commented that the right front passenger doors armrest was loose. They promptly ordered a replacement and said it would take 2 hours to replace. Will take about 10 days to get in. Its all covered by warranty and they offered a free courtesy car while it was in the shop.

Its all good...so far!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
driver's side carpet is wiggling free from the edges and bunching up.

black plastic cowl that precedes the windshield, felt loose last car wash.

dunno if either is covered, probably just try to fix myself...

Old 10-29-2007, 06:07 PM
What happened with your dimmer light. It does not work on mine and does not go on when I unlock with the remote. I need to take it in to the service dept but if you have some info on yours, it may save me some time.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
My dimmer light problem has not been resolved yet. Our closest dealer is a full hour away so since its not a critical problem we're going to have it looked at when one of us has a day off (they wanted to look at it during the week when it was less hectic in the service department) ... should have it looked at some time in November ... I will post as soon as I have more info ... let me know how you made out with your car ...

Old 10-31-2007, 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutMyFit
In another thread I addressed a problem I thought I was having with my LX dome light. It doesn't dim out like that manual said it would. It goes on and off when I open and close the door ... so not a huge problem ... anyway ... inquired about this at my Fit's first service ... the service department agreed that it should dim and to bring it back on a weekday so they can try and source the problem. I'll let you know how we fared ...

2nd problem ... (I think) .... quite often when I get into the car to go somewhere I will notice that the driver's door is not properly closed when I really thought I closed it firmly ... a few times now this has happed when leaving the car ... one time my hubby locked it up for the night (it then rained) and I came out the next day to a wet interior ... at first I was baffled ... today I just noticed that the door open indicator on the instrument gauge only comes on when my engine is running ... I'm now a little paranoid about the car being properly closed up ... I'm practically slamming my door shut just to make sure it's closed ... my old car would always have something light up to indicate a door was not properly closed. Manual just says the little icon should light up. Any thoughts on this? Do I have a door problem? A wiring problem? Or just weak arms?
I recently got remote entry so I feel a little better when I hit the button twice and the car honks ... hope it's not lying to me!

Thanks for listening and for any comments or advice you might have!
Regarding the door not closing all the way, I have actually have had that happen to me a few times, not too long after I got the car. This has happened both when I was in the car, and after I got out of it. The first time that it happened was when I got out of the car and shut the door. I did not realize the door was partially open until I tried to lock the doors. They will not lock unless all of the doors are closed. I think you are safe as long as you hear the click of the doors locking, or the horn beeping, depending upon how many times you press the button.

In my case, I don't know if I'm more conscious of closing the door with more force now, than the force I used when I first got the car, but in any event, it has been at least a couple of months since I have had that problem occur. Maybe I'm closing it harder, and I'm not aware of it.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Question Weird noise when hitting bump or incline

Ok... this is kinda hard to explain and I am hoping you guys know what it is: When I pull into my drive (slight incline nothing major) or hit a good dip in the road I can hear a weird winding clicking noise inside the car that appears to be coming from underneath the front end. I have never had a small car like this as I have always had big trucks, but I wanted to try something new so I apologize if this is a newb question.

It isnt a scraping noise and I am not going extremely fast racing up into my driveway.

I will try to get more details but I am sure someone else must have heard this noise.

Thanks!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bdiehl
Ok... this is kinda hard to explain and I am hoping you guys know what it is: When I pull into my drive (slight incline nothing major) or hit a good dip in the road I can hear a weird winding clicking noise inside the car that appears to be coming from underneath the front end. I have never had a small car like this as I have always had big trucks, but I wanted to try something new so I apologize if this is a newb question.

It isnt a scraping noise and I am not going extremely fast racing up into my driveway.

I will try to get more details but I am sure someone else must have heard this noise.

Thanks!
Does anything vibrate? I hear something similar and feel the brake pedal vibrate whenever I am braking and going over a speedbump.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Yes I feel it in the pedal and steering wheel. I am hoping to spend sometime this week to narrow down what is going on.

Quick Reply: Warranty Repairs