General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Warranty Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by llachef
I love my fit. I had a 1990 Honda Prelude which I loved and finally sold it to an 18 yr. ole kid who could work on it. My honda fit is 2 years old well..26 months. It has nearly 17,000 miles on it. How often should I change the oil (really) and should I do anything even though I don't have any problems..don't want any surprises. Can't say I really trust dealer-service
I would do an oil change and tire rotation every 3000 miles for best engine hygiene. My fit still drive like it did as I drove it off the lot. Ohh how the memories stick c:

Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Orcshine101
I would do an oil change and tire rotation every 3000 miles for best engine hygiene. My fit still drive like it did as I drove it off the lot. Ohh how the memories stick c:
Thats what my boyfriend told me to do. Tire rotation and oil change every 3000 miles. But I was wondering do you guys use premium gas for your fits? I just bought the base model and Im leaning more toward premium but I just wanted to see what other fit owners use.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Your car knows what maintenance is needed

Hi Bliss,

Don't bother with the premium gas, you would just be throwing your money away. Your engine is designed for regular gas and premium won't improve your mileage or performance.

As far as oil changes, I wouldn't do an oil change until the mileage minder on your dash says that it is needed. The engineer's at Honda know a little bit more about your engine and car than any of us on this board. Keep in mind that the Fit mileage minder takes your driving habits into account. I've got more than 70,000 miles on my Fit, I've only done the maintenance that the car recommends (in spite of the dealership encouraging me to do additional, unneccessary items) and the car runs like new. When I get an oil change every 6500 to 7000 miles (it varies depending on how I'm driving the car), the oil is easy to see through, not black, so I know that the wear in the engine is minimal.

Beyond the obvious financial implications of doing oil changes that aren't needed, think of the environmental impact. Even though most of the oil drained from your car is recycled now, your oil filter cannot be recycled and basically goes directly to a landfill. So if you change your oil every 3000 miles, you're doubling the number of oil-filled filters in the ground, with no benefit to you or your car.

That said, many older cars get value from more frequent oil changes, just not your Fit.

Eric

Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by ewdysar
Hi Bliss,

Don't bother with the premium gas, you would just be throwing your money away. Your engine is designed for regular gas and premium won't improve your mileage or performance.

As far as oil changes, I wouldn't do an oil change until the mileage minder on your dash says that it is needed. The engineer's at Honda know a little bit more about your engine and car than any of us on this board. Keep in mind that the Fit mileage minder takes your driving habits into account. I've got more than 70,000 miles on my Fit, I've only done the maintenance that the car recommends (in spite of the dealership encouraging me to do additional, unneccessary items) and the car runs like new. When I get an oil change every 6500 to 7000 miles (it varies depending on how I'm driving the car), the oil is easy to see through, not black, so I know that the wear in the engine is minimal.

Beyond the obvious financial implications of doing oil changes that aren't needed, think of the environmental impact. Even though most of the oil drained from your car is recycled now, your oil filter cannot be recycled and basically goes directly to a landfill. So if you change your oil every 3000 miles, you're doubling the number of oil-filled filters in the ground, with no benefit to you or your car.

That said, many older cars get value from more frequent oil changes, just not your Fit.

Eric
Thank you, Eric! hahaa I'm glad that I havent wasted money on gas or unnecessary oil changes. Thats good to know. Im still learning about the whole car maintenance and such. Thanks for helping

Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM
I have a 2011 fit sport for almost a year. My issue is with the radio volume-or more specifically the so-called speed compensating volume which DOES NOT CHANGE regardless of road speed

Anybody have know the worka-around solution?

Thankyou.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by richsfit
I have a 2011 fit sport for almost a year. My issue is with the radio volume-or more specifically the so-called speed compensating volume which DOES NOT CHANGE regardless of road speed

Anybody have know the worka-around solution?

Thankyou.
Firstly, this is stock radio, right?

What level do you have it set to? (Low, mid, high)

What level was the radio volume set to?

Incidentally, even if it does change the volume, it won't change the number indicator.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Your notions is very practical for all my friends who are reader of this experience.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 AM
that's really a good idea , well i agree that number of people do not know that the problem of their car can be fixed under warranty, well they could get help by reading this thread , its better if the problem got fixed under warranty otherwise one have to pay much more for it.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 AM
I noticed that when I drive between 80-90 mph, my gas gets drained much quicker. I'm using Plus for fuel grade, and my 08 base model is about to hit 30,000 miles on it. Is this normal??

Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by AstroTexan
I noticed that when I drive between 80-90 mph, my gas gets drained much quicker. I'm using Plus for fuel grade, and my 08 base model is about to hit 30,000 miles on it. Is this normal??
Absolutely normal. Air resistance is over three times as great at 90 mph as it is at 60 mph.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
Absolutely normal. Air resistance is over three times as great at 90 mph as it is at 60 mph.
That statement is quite true, as a avid cyclist I totally understand the nature of aero and air resistance effects on speed. I can cycle 20mph pretty much all day, but upping the speed to 25 I can do for maybe 9-10 miles at a time, and upping to 35-40 mph sprint I can do for less then a mile. Understanding that I try to keep the speed of my fit in commutes to 70mph~ if I can. I'm not trying to hyper mile or drive like those asshole Prius drivers slow in the fast lane but I do try to be economical when I can.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 PM
i think my input shaft bearing starting to make some whirring sound in neutral...are they covered too?...

Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AstroTexan
Why are you using "Plus" fuel?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:25 AM
i am also in the favor of what others are supporting here as well .. and liking most an advice upon get the damage done under warranty instead of letting it cost you

Old 11-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Disposal of oil filters

I change my oil and return it to a recycling center. A spin on oil filter retains an amazing amount of oil even if it has sat for days after removal from the engine. To drain that oil prior to the disposal of the filter, drill two small holes in the steel can of the filter. One hole should be drilled in the top and the other just above the base of the filter where the sheet metal can attaches to the base plate. Then watch a stream of oil flow out the hole at the base. I allow it to drain for at least a day and then throw it in the trash.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:53 AM
You might want to consider bringing your old oil filters to a shop that will dispose of them properly.

The oil in that filter will most likely leak into the landfill where it ends up. Garbage is moved around the dumps by huge heavy equipment and it tears the bags open.

https://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US...equipment.page

Most shops will take an oil filter and toss it into their waste oil filter collection drum at no charge.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:25 AM
I just had a spark plug blow through the threads and out of my engine w/50k mi.
I have read several horror stories on the internet of this happening.
Honda is aware of this yet will not grant any good will toward fixing it.
Is this acceptable?
I was quoted $7000+ for a new head $3000+ for a used head and $1200 to helicoil with no guarantee.
What would you do?

Old 04-17-2018, 04:50 AM
What a great idea.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:04 PM
Is this thread still alive? I have a score / crack in my rear driver's side window. About 2 inches horizontal right in the middle of the window. I brought it into a dealer, first the tech said that he thought it would be covered under warranty, then after going to his computer he said it was damage not covered by the warranty and asked me to take it to the dealer I bought the car from. Not sure how I would have caused this as there is no identifiable dent from an impact. Any thoughts?

Old 08-30-2018, 05:00 PM
Recall question:
Anyone would have a software copy of the recall number
H-1-18 and II-2-11 ?
These could be the number for the french version of the documents.
I am located in Québec, Canada.
My dealer des not want to give me a copy of those recall procedures.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Warranty Repairs