2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

GE8 Intake Questions & Answers Mega-Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
The diff in HP is so minimal you might as well... that or looks. lol

Old 12-02-2009, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
PRM is definitely very very loud and will provide that 'suction' sound you're looking for

Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Even thou the PRM intake is a short ram it works well with the hood scoop already on the underside of the hood, the average temp difference from the outside temp to the intake temp is roughly 5-6 degrees F. Also it has the most HP gain out of all the intakes with a decent amount of torque.
P.S. it sounds great too

Old 12-02-2009, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
You want to buy an intake just for the sound...

haha yeah i know. coming from a supercharger/intercooler setup to an intake is sorta downgrading right? i guess i still have that ricer side of me that i haven't grown out of my last car.

how are the weapon-r's? i just saw those recently.. are they brand new? iam debating over Weapon-R Secret now and the Taketa Attack

Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Hard decision on PRM/T1R carbon intake.

im having a hard decision on getting the prm short ram intake or the t1r carbon chamber.

i know for a fact the prm makes more hp and utilizes the underhood ram duct. the only thing that bothers me about the prm is the big gaping space in the engine bay where the stock intake box resides.

on the other hand, t1r's carbon chamber looks so f'in sweet and fills up the stock intake area quite well. downside is the t1r cost about $200 more than the prm.

i want better hp&tq gains but annoyed to hell about the gaping space. the t1r looks so sweet and remedies the black hole.

Help me out guys and gals.

T1R Carbon (claims solid 5hp gains)

PRM Jet Stream (claims 7+hp gains)

Last edited by JJIN; 12-11-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Formerly "bitoy"
5 Year Member
What's your goal in changing from stock intake to aftermarket ones? is it for looks or for HP/TQ gain?

I changed my intake hoping to gain a little HP/TQ in our little engine not for looks that's my goal.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
My vote goes for the PRM! You don't drive around with your hood open so a big space where the stock intake used to be shouldn't be an issue imo! PRM looks like it weighs less too! Spend the $200 you save by going with the PRM on something else!

Old 12-13-2009, 05:32 PM
of those two i would have to pick the prm cause the cost of the t1r is so high. have you thought about the k&n?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Function > Form for me so my vote goes to the PRM.

Then again if the T1R intake makes more HP, maybe you should pony up the added dough for that... Got any dyno sheets of the two for comparison?

You'll also want to note WHERE the power/torque gain is along the dyno sheet. If the gain is all up top (i.e. at high RPM), it's kind of pointless unless you drive at the track. You'll also want to see if there's any loss of power/torque down low (i.e. low to midrange RPM) because any decrease in that will affect your car's everyday drivability.

For this reason printing a simple +5 or +7 HP for any part isn't enough information IMO.

Last edited by Type 100; 12-13-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
I have seen what FitFlowjoe's car runs like with the PRM and wouldn't hesitate for a second to get one.... That, an axle back pipe without a muffler and 0W20 Amsoil is what he had done to his car when I saw it and the thing really moves.... I plan to get a PRM filter for the intake to my super charger if they have one that will fit it.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:50 PM
so in regards to the chatter regarding the prm losing torque, was there any truth to that?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
It may lose bottom end torque right at the beginning when it is first driven but the ECU will adjust to it after a few short drives....It is louder than the stock intake so the engine will sound as if it is revving higher than it really is and give the impression that there is less torque....You are used to the quieter stock intake and letting the clutch out at lower revs with the PRM or any other after market intake because it sounds louder.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
It may lose bottom end torque right at the beginning when it is first driven but the ECU will adjust to it after a few short drives....
Or alternatively one could fit a tunable piggyback ECU to it. That way the gains of the intake and any other future parts can be tuned and maximized right off the bat

Old 12-13-2009, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Type 100
Or alternatively one could fit a tunable piggyback ECU to it. That way the gains of the intake and any other future parts can be tuned and maximized right off the bat
What kind of piggy back are you referring to??? Maybe a simple resistor type thing for just an exhaust and intake change would make a difference, but don't mention it to anyone on this forum or you will be condemned to hell to burn for eternity..... Yes there are costly products to adjust air to fuel ratios and ignition timing but only worth the price if you are going to go for boost in the future and they have only been available for the Fit for a short period of time...I wish the price would drop so that they were an option for everyone.... It was easier in the old days when it was a matter of jet changes on carburators and anyone could use a timing light, get weights and springs of varying tensions to change rate of advance, look at the plugs to see what was happening and a stopwatch to measure the increase or decrease in performance..... Man I miss all of that.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
What kind of piggy back are you referring to??? Maybe a simple resistor type thing for just an exhaust and intake change would make a difference, but don't mention it to anyone on this forum or you will be condemned to hell to burn for eternity..... Yes there are costly products to adjust air to fuel ratios and ignition timing but only worth the price if you are going to go for boost in the future and they have only been available for the Fit for a short period of time...I wish the price would drop so that they were an option for everyone.... It was easier in the old days when it was a matter of jet changes on carburators and anyone could use a timing light, get weights and springs of varying tensions to change rate of advance, look at the plugs to see what was happening and a stopwatch to measure the increase or decrease in performance..... Man I miss all of that.
Yeah well it ain't cheap

I was referring to Dastek's Unichip. A local shop here, Speedlab, is offering custom 4-2-1 headers, a K&N short ram intake and a tuned Unichip as part of a "power package" for the GD Fit/Jazz.

SPEEDLAB | The Science of Speed

The same shop makes turbos too based off a GT15 compressor - and they also use Unichips to handle the engine management on those.

Think we've drifted off-topic

My vote's for the PRM intake if there's no other information on it

Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the input guys. i was leaning towards the prm anyways and all of you reinforces that decision. also, after further research the t1r carbon creates most or all its power on top revs, while the prm pumps power through the whole rev range.

p.s. someone also chimed in about the k&n intake. i eliminated k&n as a candidate because ive heard members who have them complain about how hard the filter is to remove for cleaning.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Have you considered a cold air intake?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:58 PM
a side question. are PRM intakes carbl legal like k&n

Old 12-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Pass the chop sticks - I am doing a short ram cold air intake on mine this coming spring. Not rice at all - gives you some extra HP and the current stock air box really doesn't work as well as an intake.I decided to do a short ram because I don't want to have to take off the front end to take care of the filter. I am also doing a exhaust just because it needs a little woot!

Cat :x

Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
i would do the carbon fiber one. because PRM to me looks like just a pipe connected to a reverse cone filter.

claims is claims, i bet if a 3rd party group dynoed the 2 intakes together, the results would be nearly the same... an intake change is an intake change, one isn't going to have more PSI than the other.

Quick Reply: GE8 Intake Questions & Answers Mega-Thread