2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong with my Fit??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Thanks steve244, when did you become sarcastic?
Oh! I love it....

Old 07-29-2012, 01:45 PM
I believe everything has to do with the pedal.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kwstas
I believe everything has to do with the pedal.
Yes but the pedal changes due to knock,octane and timing. I never push down on the pedal further then 1/3 and can go as fast as I need all the way to red line.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks steve244, when did you become sarcastic?
Latent sarcasm has always lurked near the surface of my posts.

This thread gave it wings.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244

edit: and driving casual on the turnpike requires speeds in excess of 80mph.

In Southern GA, the Fit's stealth mode worked well (not available on Sport models).

Old 07-29-2012, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244

So then you agree with me then? All those years you were being sarcastic and I thought you were serious.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
So then you agree with me then? All those years you were being sarcastic and I thought you were serious.
That's right.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
The only thing that saves me from being pulled over on the interstate highways are all of the loud trucks I get boxed boxed in by that are also going 85 and 90... Between Austin and San Antonio I have been passed by Prius's while driving just below 90... If you aren't comfortable driving over 85 bumper to bumper you best not get on I-635 that loops Dallas during the morning rush hour.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The only thing that saves me from being pulled over on the interstate highways are all of the loud trucks I get boxed boxed in by that are also going 85 and 90... Between Austin and San Antonio I have been passed by Prius's while driving just below 90... If you aren't comfortable driving over 85 bumper to bumper you best not get on I-635 that loops Dallas during the morning rush hour.
I go a little faster than the trucks which is about 70 mph most of the time. Sometimes I have to go as fast as 84 mph but not that often. 85 mph or faster is a felony so I stay below that but there are dozens of vehicles that go faster than that. I think the state police don't want to be bothered because of the paperwork and it takes them off the road. You have to keep up with traffic but most people follow too close.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
I go a little faster than the trucks which is about 70 mph most of the time. Sometimes I have to go as fast as 84 mph but not that often. 85 mph or faster is a felony so I stay below that but there are dozens of vehicles that go faster than that. I think the state police don't want to be bothered because of the paperwork and it takes them off the road. You have to keep up with traffic but most people follow too close.
damn... your prisons must be pretty full.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Yup, Crook County is packed. We took a lesson from the DNR and now have a catch and release program, Steve.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Another Fit with sudden drop in fuel economy. Is wife's car and I seldom drive. As long it will fire and run, it's OK with her.
For about 15 months mileage was just under 40MPG, with hard driving at high speed with air on, maybe 36.
Seems about the time vehicle was taken in for a recall, valve wasted motion limiter?? the fuel drop was noticed. Again, it was period after recall, that I took it on long trip and found drop. Ever since, mileage has never gotten to 30MPG.
Am hesitant to darken dealer doors again as believe trouble free driving of vehicle is directly proportionately to keeping it out of dealership. And any repair shop for that matter (do most all repairs myself.) But technology now getting above my head. I drive old Mustangs and diesels usually.
My question to you Guys here, have you had any experience with fuel economy drop after above recall repairs? Any ideas.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by seb9316
My mom purchased a 2011 Honda Fit last fall, on my behest. She was looking for a nice, compact 4 door hatchback for getting around town that had decent driving characteristics and good cargo space, but the most important thing to her was fuel economy. I had owned a couple of Accords before and had been very happy with them, plus I read several owner reviews (including several on this board) about how they were constantly getting better fuel mileage than the EPA estimates, so I pushed her in the direction of the Fit.
Well it has been about 8 months since she bought it, and we have NEVER, not ONCE, hit 35 mpg even in constant interstate driving, but worse, we cannot even top 30 mpg anymore. I have been driving this thing to work the last couple of weeks to try to figure it out using different driving styles and trying to work the pedal a bit but to no avail. My driving during this time has consisted of about 80% highway (interstate) and 20% city. Yet I am averaging 30 mpg dead on. I could get that in my old Accords! What gives??? The one thing I will comment on is that this is the 5 speed automatic and it shifts ALL OVER THE PLACE. It shifts if you breathe, then it shifts again. It shifts if you look at it wrong. If I am pulling a hill to get on the insterstate for example, and it has shifted down into 4th and I am accelerating up the hill just fine, it STILL shifts again down into 3rd even though it was having zero problems pulling the hill in 4th, and without my pressing the gas pedal down any more. Is there something wrong with the tranny, that would explain the poor fuel mileage? Someone please help! I feel like I did my mom a disservice! Thanks
Well, I am very sorry you guys are getting such a horrible gas mileage with ur Fit. I have a '10 Fit Sport with manual transmission and I drive it quite vigorously. In all honesty I get 33MPG city/highway driving and on highway driving only I get around 43 to 44 MPG. I don't think there is anything wrong with your driving style, but there might be something going on with the car.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 AM
This thread (sorry, I mean Seb) epitomizes everything that is wrong with aMErican society.

I got a lot of laughs and tears from reading this thread. EPIC and should be etched in a stone tablet.

Just for fun....I drove my 2010 Sport MT (33k) from Jacksonville to Orlando @ 62mph 100 feet behind a 18-wheeler doing same speed entire distance.
Used cruise ENTIRE way, driving by thumb to maintain optimal drafting distance.

MPG achieved, by Fit MPG display: 44.2 MPG

OMFG EPA! WTF?!

Priceless.

As a final note, I'd like to THANK everyone who HONESTLY *tried* to genuinely help over the last couple weeks in this thread and were spat upon and discredited.
You, sirs, are my heroes. Carry on.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
I been driving combination of 30% city / 70% highway and im avg about 41.8 mpg right now.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
The shifting is not the cause of your poor gas mileage.

Sounds like you just really need to get used to driving the car. Why are you fighting the car? Apply throttle lightly, don't worry about what the trans is doing, it's an auto. It's programmed to do what it does to get the best out of the car. All you need to worry about is throttle input.

I will admit that I had to get used to the throttle a bit. There's throttle controllers available that make it less sensitive, although I don't have one.

How's your air filter?
What exactly does a throttle controller do?

Old 04-06-2014, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Miss_Diana
What exactly does a throttle controller do?
A throttle controller manipulates throttle positioning data (the gas pedal).

When you press the gas pedal, it tells the car how much you pressed. Halfway down, quarter way, all the way, or some other amount. The aftermarket controllers take that info and change it so the car's computer thinks you pressed the pedal some other amount.

some folks use it to drive "lighter" than they normally do, so the controller acts like you pressed it less (ie, you pressed half, but it reports only quarter. exaggerated but that's the idea).

some folks use it to report more for a "quicker" response... you get to half, it reports all the way or something.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
A throttle controller manipulates throttle positioning data (the gas pedal).

When you press the gas pedal, it tells the car how much you pressed. Halfway down, quarter way, all the way, or some other amount. The aftermarket controllers take that info and change it so the car's computer thinks you pressed the pedal some other amount.

some folks use it to drive "lighter" than they normally do, so the controller acts like you pressed it less (ie, you pressed half, but it reports only quarter. exaggerated but that's the idea).

some folks use it to report more for a "quicker" response... you get to half, it reports all the way or something.
Thanks Goobers!