2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by utsug
I just read that there is a recall for 09-14 Fit regarding the airbag. Below is the summary:
"SPECIFICALLY, IN SOME VEHICLES, THE DRIVER'S FRONT AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODUCE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE UPON DEPLOYMENT. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE (BREAK APART) AND DEPLOY ABNORMALLY."

Now since the fix is not available until Fall 2016, can you call Honda and request for a temporary car to use while they haven't fix this recall on your Fit? I've read that there are 2 people that got killed due to this defective airbag.
Any suggestions?
You should have received a letter from your Honda dealer (unless you bought your car used), explaining all the info about Honda providing a rental until the parts are in for replacement.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:41 PM
As a quick update here, I opened a case with Honda and received a call back about 2 weeks later from the dealer stating they had a rental available and could store my car for me. This was Galpin Honda. Thanks to all for your help! Hopefully I'll get my car back soon.

Originally Posted by jondotcom
That's exactly the situation that should trigger a call to Honda. My bet is that they will find a rental or a dealer loaner for you. It's cheaper for them than a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:15 PM
Sign a waiver

Originally Posted by shinjari
Hmmm I may have to give this a shot, but not sure I can not drive my Fit for months at a time until the parts show up "Summer 2016" like the Recall websites states.

Also I checked my VIN previously a week or two ago for my 2013 and the airbag did not populate, but I checked again today and it showed up. It states updated "Feb 16th, 2016". So I would check your VIN again if you did it previously just to ensure it didn't update for you.

This is exactly what it states. So indeed it does mention temporary alternate transportation as necessary. I suppose if you voice that you find it unsafe to drive they will give you alternate transportation until parts arrive, but as previously mentioned I'm not sure how I feel about leaving my Fit at the dealer for months on end until the parts arrive.

"THE REMEDY PARTS NEEDED TO CONDUCT DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR RECALLS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE IN SUMMER OF 2016. HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS IN A N INITIAL LETTER WITH A SECOND LETTER BEING MAILED WHEN PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. PLEASE DISCUSS YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND CONCERNS WITH YOUR DEALER, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF, OR REIMBURSEMENT FOR, TEMPORARY ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AS NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA'S AUTOMOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-888-234-2138. HONDA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JY1."
You have the option to sign a waiver that you will not drive the Fit during the time it takes to get the replacements in (if you wish to store it at home or any place besides the dealer), except to drive it directly to the dealer for the replacements. You can also have it towed to the dealer for the repairs at no cost to you.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:18 PM
Goudy Honda called us to say that our 2013 Fit's airbag parts have come and the fix has been completed. We will be returning our 2016 Fit loaner car tomorrow. Pretty surprising since they said the parts won't be available until mid-summer, but I guess they raised the production of the parts.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
I was lucky because I took my car in for an oil change, and found out about the recall a month or more before the recall notices arrived in the mail. I found out online about the rentals, so I was probably the first person here to get in a rental car.
They took their time installing the airbag today, since they wanted to be sure there weren't glitches with the part. Apparently the replacement Ridgeline airbags had some fit issues.
I asked about the passenger airbags, and the service rep said that since there are no known issues, driver's side airbags will be the only focus for now. I do expect the *passenger airbags to be recalled at some point, probably years from now.
Having all those rental cars really clarified what I like and don't like about my Fit, but I'm glad to have it back. It's not flawless by any stretch, but it's paid for and I'm too poor to get something else. Hopefully it will last a very long time.
*Driver and passenger side bags are both affected in this recall.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Picked up a rental in March and my part just arrived today. I'm very much looking forward to driving my fit again.

Oddly they are advising me to drop the rental car off at the dealer, not the local hertz. I asked the service writer and he insisted that's the process.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:42 AM
Picked up a rental in March and my part just arrived today. I'm very much looking forward to driving my fit again.

Oddly they are advising me to drop the rental car off at the dealer, not the local hertz. I asked the service writer and he insisted that's the process.
That is odd. Did they do the vehicle check for damages at the rental agency before you drove it?

Old 05-12-2016, 10:45 AM

Thats normal. Hertz advised me to do this as well. My Hertz is 10 mins away from the dealer so I am sure they will have paperwork they complete there for the turn in

Old 05-12-2016, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by validivee
That is odd. Did they do the vehicle check for damages at the rental agency before you drove it?
Rental agency did and I saved the paperwork as they noted three damage spots on the car. Maybe I'll ignore the dealer's advice to be safe

Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by validivee

I posted earlier about cost of damages, but yes you are charged for damages.

Sadly I got a crack in the windshield and was told it cost 35 to repair or 150 to replace the windshield.

I also cracked a hubcap lol and I made sure to go replace that with a new one on Ebay. I didnt even want to know how much that would of cost to replace

Old 05-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
Oh yes! I have an F150 as well as the Fit. I love my truck so much better. Im tired odlf sitting low.

I am able to get an A plan.... what F150 do you have?

Going on Day 6 with Hemi

Old 05-14-2016, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Guys...My GE8(QuikSilver) have been fix and the NEW Air bag replace part is install....I'm SUPER happy that it was fix sooner.I was worry to have the car for to much months without using it.Was using a Nissan Versa sedan 2016 for a month.Super happy to have my FIT on the road again....

Old 05-14-2016, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by StormSurfer
Guys...My GE8(QuikSilver) have been fix and the NEW Air bag replace part is install....I'm SUPER happy that it was fix sooner.I was worry to have the car for to much months without using it.Was using a Nissan Versa sedan 2016 for a month.Super happy to have my FIT on the road again....
where are you located? Sorry if it's visable on a desktop site. On phone I can't tell :/

Old 05-14-2016, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
^Puerto Rico.

People from all over have gotten this dealt with already.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
State of Hawaii Sue Honda & Takata

This article came out of our local rag Saturday.

State sues Honda, Takata over faulty air bags | Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 05-16-2016, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
^Puerto Rico.

Ah okay that makes sense you are in the High Risk area. Those of us in the upper states have a rather long wait. Guess its good to get those who are in more danger fixed first.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
^Puerto Rico.

Yeah it's a mixed bag as to who has received parts. I've read people in other parts of Southern California (Los Angeles) have received parts as well as various parts of the US and yet my dealership swears up and down they haven't received any here in San Diego.

It's been nearly 3 months since I've been driving this rental and I was over it a long time ago. I mean at this rate I've driven a rental more than I've driven the Fit since I literally just bought it in December 2015 and the recall happened Feb 2016.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Yeah it's a mixed bag as to who has received parts. I've read people in other parts of Southern California (Los Angeles) have received parts as well as various parts of the US and yet my dealership swears up and down they haven't received any here in San Diego.

It's been nearly 3 months since I've been driving this rental and I was over it a long time ago. I mean at this rate I've driven a rental more than I've driven the Fit since I literally just bought it in December 2015 and the recall happened Feb 2016.
Sorry to read that shinjari.I was REALLY surprise that i receive the call that the new part was at my local Honda dealer ready to install.I was worry that it was going to be a long wait for it BUT thank GOD is was ONLY one month for me.I hope you get your call as soon as possible.Best wishes and keep enjoying the rental.Is FREE....

Old 05-17-2016, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
We're batting 0 for 2 . Not a peep .

Old 05-18-2016, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Well the Honda Gods must've heard/read me complain because I got my call last night that parts have arrived. Now to schedule a tow to the dealer and wait for the call to pick it up.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit