3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GK Fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wht_GK5_Tx
So now I have TRS Headlights and new steering wheel.

These 2 mods and the tires/rims completely changed how the car vibes. It’s amazing.
This steering wheel looks great ! Where did you buy it ?

Old 12-15-2021, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
I've been testing waters on the intake topic... And came up with a fairly cheap, good one but I'd like to add an inline filter.... For daily use..... Any suggestions....

Old 12-15-2021, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by elkaku
I've been testing waters on the intake topic... And came up with a fairly cheap, good one but I'd like to add an inline filter.... For daily use..... Any suggestions....

you need an air box to house the filter in. Seems like it's going full circle... with all the available knn filter sizes, pick one, and then fabricate the slimmest housing you can. I think at this point you're fighting over a few hp and you might have to do dyno testing to know for sure if there are any real gains. If you really want to get some more air in there, increase the size (cross sectional area) of the MAF housing and adjust your MAF tables in ktuner. Good luck!!

Old 12-15-2021, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Z062FIT
you need an air box to house the filter in. Seems like it's going full circle... with all the available knn filter sizes, pick one, and then fabricate the slimmest housing you can. I think at this point you're fighting over a few hp and you might have to do dyno testing to know for sure if there are any real gains. If you really want to get some more air in there, increase the size (cross sectional area) of the MAF housing and adjust your MAF tables in ktuner. Good luck!!

Thanks for the props and suggestions... I'll do the research and let you know.....

Old 12-18-2021, 05:34 PM
Finally found some Fit-specific mud guards made for the Sport model with side skirts!!

The fit was pretty good, the hardest part by far was getting the old OEM bumper clips out!

I ordered them from here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...44a84c4ddMCf6p

If you order them make sure you click on the one that says GK 2018-2019 "with side skirts":

Old 12-22-2021, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
Sadly my Fit is now sold, but to a family member. If they ever move up to a nicer car and I need one for a kid reaching driving age, I have the option to buy it back, but for the time being, I'm down to a Civic. I'll probably still lurk around here, but won't have any new mods to talk about. It was fun while it lasted, one of the better cars I've ever driven.

Old 12-22-2021, 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
Sadly my Fit is now sold, but to a family member. If they ever move up to a nicer car and I need one for a kid reaching driving age, I have the option to buy it back, but for the time being, I'm down to a Civic. I'll probably still lurk around here, but won't have any new mods to talk about. It was fun while it lasted, one of the better cars I've ever driven.
I am also thinking of selling my fit and buy an EK civic. I just want to have some fun sprited driving.What civic do you have?

Old 12-22-2021, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
2018 Si sedan, I've mentioned it elsewhere but it's better in every measurable respect than the Fit- more power, stronger brakes, LSD, better suspension dynamics, etc.. and it's less fun to drive. It lacks the raw, unfiltered connection with the car that Hondas are known for. But, wife was unhappy with the feeling of smallness and perceived lack of safety (tried showing her the crash test results but didn't work) and feels better with the kids in the Civic.

It's a good car, but I'm starting to look for an older Boxster now that there's some room.

Old 12-22-2021, 05:48 AM
2018 Si sedan, I've mentioned it elsewhere but it's better in every measurable respect than the Fit- more power, stronger brakes, LSD, better suspension dynamics, etc.. and it's less fun to drive. It lacks the raw, unfiltered connection with the car that Hondas are known for. But, wife was unhappy with the feeling of smallness and perceived lack of safety (tried showing her the crash test results but didn't work) and feels better with the kids in the Civic.

It's a good car, but I'm starting to look for an older Boxster now that there's some room.
Got my eye on the BRZ. Keep the fit as a daily.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member

And MPG? That's all I care about now.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
Can't give you a good feel for stock, because very shortly after I got it, I put a ktuner map on and swapped to wider, grippier tires. I'm getting around 34 if it's mostly commuting, sometimes 30 if I have to run the kids around town a lot. When I put sport tires on the Fit I lost maybe 3 mpg, and the tune is supposed to give the Civic something like 50hp over stock. Probably would be getting 38-40 if I hadn't messed with it, but the engine feels so much better now that I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Factory tires on the Si were terrible, at least in the rain... which isn't great around Seattle.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
Can't give you a good feel for stock, because very shortly after I got it, I put a ktuner map on and swapped to wider, grippier tires. I'm getting around 34 if it's mostly commuting, sometimes 30 if I have to run the kids around town a lot. When I put sport tires on the Fit I lost maybe 3 mpg, and the tune is supposed to give the Civic something like 50hp over stock. Probably would be getting 38-40 if I hadn't messed with it, but the engine feels so much better now that I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Factory tires on the Si were terrible, at least in the rain... which isn't great around Seattle.
I have to date my Fuelly footnote. I think the 2015 mileage is correct, but the 2020 is higher.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:10 PM
k tune

i have the k tune on the gk5 and i’m only getting 33 mile to gallon but i’m sitting on the 17” wheels in front and 18 on the back cai rv6 header to a ipex exhaust runs great and acceleration in smooth and is a 6mt i love is my daily

Old 12-23-2021, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
I was getting around 38 on the Fit until the wheel/tire swap, then around 35. BF Goodrich Comp2 sport, regular or all season, are great tires. Unfortunately they don't make them in the size I chose for the Civic anymore, probably end up with the Continental DWS 06 next time around.

Old 12-29-2021, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Nothing......still waiting on getting it back from the body shop after I was side-swiped,.... been there 38 days waiting on a bumper cover, fender, fender liner, and some kind of inner brace inside the fender.....pretty ridiculous wait time for some pretty basic parts......called them today, was told the last of what they needed was supposed to be delivered today (tomorrow?) and it should be done end of next week. Can't wait, as borrowing my in-laws' Hyundai Santa Fe is boring ( they've been staying with us since the end of May when my FIL with bad dementia ended up setting their bedroom on fire using a space running full blast 24/7.......he's banned from heating products here, and he's no "colder" than he was there......this has been a crappy year in more ways than one, I'll tell ya

Old 12-30-2021, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Diet

Finally got my corner balancing scales. Roll cage is not in. These weights are with no seats in the car and all but the dash stripped...

Without driver

With 230lb driver
that's also with the battery relocated to the right rear, no AC equipment under the hood, and no front sway bar. If I hit 225 hp, that's 10:1 lbs to hp ratio...

Old 01-10-2022, 10:20 PM
Today I set my valves back to spec. My '15 ex 6mt has 125K miles on it now and this is the first time they were done. I wish there was a clear and concise youtube video or guide on this repair. I used a video that was about 1.5 hours long and unedited to get an idea on how to do it, which was less than ideal. All the intakes valves were DIRTY dirty. They looked like the valves shown on commercials by gasoline stations trying to scare you into buying their super cleaning detergent blend fuel. Has anyone ever successfully cleaned them out? I've used seafoam through my gas tank multiple times in the past just because (regret), but now it's become obvious that it has done nothing. Maybe a can of air intake specific cleaner while the engine is running? I'm not about to rip the engine apart again to scrub 'em down.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moyneboyne
Maybe a can of air intake specific cleaner while the engine is running? I'm not about to rip the engine apart again to scrub 'em down.
Right! That's supposed to be very effective.

Various mechanics have told me to use Tier 1 gas and to use a tank of non-ethanol maybe once a month - depending on how much the car is driven,

Old 01-11-2022, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Valve lash

Originally Posted by moyneboyne
Today I set my valves back to spec. My '15 ex 6mt has 125K miles on it now and this is the first time they were done. I wish there was a clear and concise youtube video or guide on this repair. I used a video that was about 1.5 hours long and unedited to get an idea on how to do it, which was less than ideal. All the intakes valves were DIRTY dirty. They looked like the valves shown on commercials by gasoline stations trying to scare you into buying their super cleaning detergent blend fuel. Has anyone ever successfully cleaned them out? I've used seafoam through my gas tank multiple times in the past just because (regret), but now it's become obvious that it has done nothing. Maybe a can of air intake specific cleaner while the engine is running? I'm not about to rip the engine apart again to scrub 'em down.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...tment-gk5.html

Here is where I tried to capture the process. No video sorry. Also, you can clean the valves by ensuring both are closed (cylinder at TDC) and hitting them with a media blaster using crushed walnut shells. I think they're available at harbor freight, or some shops offer the service...

Old 01-11-2022, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, the only effective treatment for carbon buildup is walnut shell blasting. You have to go to a place which specializes in this. I have read that heavy duty highway driving may help somewhat. But as for Seafoam, well file that one under snake oil.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GK Fit today?