Evilchargerfan's GK5 - Ballin On A Budget, Minus The Ballin Part (poor mans build!) - Page 16 - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Go Back  Unofficial Honda FIT Forums > The Honda Fit and Jazz Forums > Fit Photos & Videos > 3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum
Reload this Page >

Evilchargerfan's GK5 - Ballin On A Budget, Minus The Ballin Part (poor mans build!)

3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

Evilchargerfan's GK5 - Ballin On A Budget, Minus The Ballin Part (poor mans build!)

Old 11-05-2018, 01:51 PM
OIL CATCH CAN RESULTS = 7500 miles

60ML of oil!

2nd cup was mostly full, with some residual oil stuck in the steel wool ball thing

Old 11-06-2018, 03:05 AM
Wow that seems like a lot of oil!! In another post I think you said it was actually about 5000 miles? Still that's like 0.012mL per mile which seems like a lot to me.

Edit:

Using the new amounts of 72.5mL in 7500 miles that's 0.0096666 mL per mile. Not much on a per mile basis but in the time of an oil change it's a good amount!!

Last edited by GolNat; 11-06-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:14 PM
over the course of 7500 miles ... I went through 2 catch can setups, and measured the following:

5 ml
7.5 ml
60 ml

Old 11-07-2018, 01:10 AM
i opened and took a peek at my oil catch can contents today.

mine has a fuel smell mostly. visually, it is very light brown...id say 50% oil and the other 50% fuel and water? i only have about 300 miles with mine, so im going to accumulate a couple of months worth before I empty and measure it, as I will then be due for an oil change...maybe it will look the same color as yours, but its hard to tell because my can is black. the contents also have tiny metalic specks in a bright flashlight or direct sunlight...similar to metalic paint.

are your contents similar?

Old 11-07-2018, 02:24 PM
the can itself (when brand new) had an awesome fuel-like smell to it. on your next oci, maybe give it a good wash, and see if the smell lingers?

I dont recall any metallic specks. could it be the anodize of the can, flaking off?

or perhaps if you're using a ball of steel wood, specks of that flaking off?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Metallic specks

Were a huge concern in the Corvette oil catch can community. Never resolved, now I'm thinking it's the steel wool!!!

Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Nice job on the catch can evil! dogdamn.. thinking how much oil my GK ate already in he 35k miles.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
the can itself (when brand new) had an awesome fuel-like smell to it. on your next oci, maybe give it a good wash, and see if the smell lingers?

I dont recall any metallic specks. could it be the anodize of the can, flaking off?

or perhaps if you're using a ball of steel wood, specks of that flaking off?
yea not sure...will investigate further after a few more miles and post reply on the oil catch can thread. thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by Z062FIT View Post
Were a huge concern in the Corvette oil catch can community. Never resolved, now I'm thinking it's the steel wool!!!
read a few different car forums today regarding the issue. as you stated, some discovered it was their steel wool baffles. Mine however does not have steel wool inside. Slightly concerned, but the issue seems to go across the board of different vehicle manufacturers and models so I feel a little better. might be the can, residual shavings from my steel braided hose, or engine metal. heh.

ill now move my concern to the "oil catch can thread" as to not derail evil's build thread.

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
no big updates ... just wanted to share a 7500 mile uoa at 37500 miles on the odo

next sample involves using the same oil brand/weight but rated for 15k, and the same oil filter brand but also rated for 15k ... depending on the maint minder .... next uoa will either be 10k or 15k