3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

Evilchargerfan's GK5 - Ballin On A Budget, Minus The Ballin Part (poor mans build!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
added to the KISS thread, a more detailed guide to removing the steering wheel:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1425999

Old 04-04-2019, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
Update:

Talking to some locals, more than likely I need to replace some sensors behind the steering wheel. I plan to take the car into the shop and have a trusted mechanic diagnose the issue

T-REV , finally installed. Only drove around for a few miles, noticed a hit on mpg and a slight loss of power. More than likely, I may have over tightened the relief spring near the filter a bit much. Will try loosening it a bit, and will report back soon ish. For now, here are some pics of how I installed mine

THIS , is where one would loosen or tighten the spring (relief valve?)

Old 04-04-2019, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
Update:

Talking to some locals, more than likely I need to replace some sensors behind the steering wheel. I plan to take the car into the shop and have a trusted mechanic diagnose the issue

T-REV , finally installed. Only drove around for a few miles, noticed a hit on mpg and a slight loss of power. More than likely, I may have over tightened the relief spring near the filter a bit much. Will try loosening it a bit, and will report back soon ish. For now, here are some pics of how I installed mine

THIS , is where one would loosen or tighten the spring (relief valve?)

Excuse me for the noob question, but what does the T-Rev do for the engine?

Old 04-04-2019, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
Excuse me for the noob question, but what does the T-Rev do for the engine?
join in on the fun:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...749-t-rev.html

Old 04-07-2019, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
04/06/2019 - Oil Change + Dumped Out Oil Catch Can , 47500 miles

Oil = Mobil 1 0w-20, Extended Performance, High Mileage Formula
Filter = Purolator "BOSS"
(Both Items Rated for 15k)

Catch Can At About 30ml factoring residue stuck in the steel wool ball, and a little bit left in the can itself

Old 04-07-2019, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
04/07/2019 - Cleaned K&N Cabin Air Filter, 48k

Old 04-07-2019, 11:30 PM
Quick question on your rigid collar install. Torque level?

Old 05-06-2019, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fergus
Quick question on your rigid collar install. Torque level?
followed the manual, and re torqued each bolt back to oem specifications

Old 05-06-2019, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
47500 miles oil report ... 10k on this sample. looks pretty good! next one, i'll try 12500 miles

Old 05-07-2019, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Looks great @evilchargerfan
Calcium is part of the detergent additive package, you can see that number dropping as the package is losing its effectiveness over time, since you haven't had to add any oil which would "refresh" the additives by adding new quantities to the sump. Wear metals look fantastic. I bet the oil would be good for 15k miles if you changed the filter at 10k and topped off the oil with the 1/2 qt or whatever was drained with it. Probably not worth it, though, if you're that far into the job just change the oil. edit: I just saw that you're using a synthetic filter - wise choice. You could go 15k no problem, send sample and see what it looks like when you change it. I bet it's fine.

Last edited by Alfa38; 05-07-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: noticed filter type in UOA thread
Old 05-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Great build thread. Thanks!!!

Old 06-18-2019, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alfa38
Looks great @evilchargerfan
Calcium is part of the detergent additive package, you can see that number dropping as the package is losing its effectiveness over time, since you haven't had to add any oil which would "refresh" the additives by adding new quantities to the sump. Wear metals look fantastic. I bet the oil would be good for 15k miles if you changed the filter at 10k and topped off the oil with the 1/2 qt or whatever was drained with it. Probably not worth it, though, if you're that far into the job just change the oil. edit: I just saw that you're using a synthetic filter - wise choice. You could go 15k no problem, send sample and see what it looks like when you change it. I bet it's fine.
next uoa is coming up, and I def plan to do 15k =)

Originally Posted by CeeCab705
Great build thread. Thanks!!!
glad you're enjoying it!

not much new to report. still toying with the T REV. right now, I have it on full "loose". over the next few weeks I will try to "tighten" it in 1 turn increments and I promise to report back. I will do that lazy thing that I do, and I'll quote myself from the MPG thread. this will probably by my last contribution to all things mpg related, as after 1 yr of ownership I find myself in a zen-like-state and am happy with my mpg results. (IE: I plan to stick to 87 oct, as I learned that it has no impact on mpg, and I plan to stick to the stock air box as after market intakes make mpg worse)

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1430512
past posts have been really ... intricate, with details on every time I pump. this one will be less of that and more on my final thoughts/conclusions:

-40.2 lifetime mpg avg
-owned the car for over 14 months
-pumped 101 times
-tracked over 32k miles
-learned that 87 oct is no diff compared to 91 oct
-roof shark fins / vortex generators do nothing for/against mpg
-lighter wheels, lighter tires, not too wide of a contact patch, and higher psi help mpg's
-aftermarket intakes make for worse mpg
-exhaust seemed to have helped mpg (I think)
-ktuner had no neg impact on mpg
-pedal commander (electronic throttle controller) can REALLY have a bad impact on mpg, but boy oh boy is it fun!
-did not notice an mpg increase with wipers removed

-biggest take away = consistent/good mpg 110% depends on the drivers right foot, the path that driver chooses matters, and the owners ability to maintain the car helps

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1430513

Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 PM
hey man
I was looking at that intake as a good option but I wanted to ask you first if you noticed improvement in the performance of your engine with the weapon r. and second to know if this intake is compatible with the Honda Fit 2017 model apparently it is the same engine but some web pages publish it exclusively for the Fit 2015 model and leave out 2016 and 2017. my other option is K & N filter and modify the air inlet duct to make the air more direct. let me know what you think

Old 06-18-2019, 02:32 PM
for a good week or so, I couldnt decide on installing the weapon r included breather or not. after some debate... I decided to go for a traditional install. no breathers, nothing fancy. sounds similar to my prev setup (oem + k&n drop in filter + sumole air scoop duct thingee + resonator delete), just a tad bit louder.

hard to tell at this point, if any power gains are made.... as always, I'll report back in a week or so with my impressions

prior to this weapon r intake, IAT's were about 10 degrees over outside temps. it would appear, the weapon r secret weapon sri has similar iat's

hey man
I was looking at that intake as a good option but I wanted to ask you first if you noticed improvement in the performance of your engine with the weapon r. and second to know if this intake is compatible with the Honda Fit 2017 model apparently it is the same engine but some web pages publish it exclusively for the Fit 2015 model and leave out 2016 and 2017. my other option is K & N filter and modify the air inlet duct to make the air more direct. let me know what you think

Old 06-18-2019, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BUCARO
hey man

the intake should fit, I've seen 2018 guys fit various intakes just fine

improvement .... marginal. i found more "improvement/throttle response" coming from my simple pedal commander believe it or not. if you want more power for the buck, a ktuner is probably a smartest buy .... period. next would be an rv6 downpipe . and last would be an exhaust. I went back to a stock intake + k&n drop in, and the car still has pep

TL;DR = intakes are a total waste of money (IMO)

Old 06-18-2019, 03:49 PM

improvement .... marginal. i found more "improvement/throttle response" coming from my simple pedal commander believe it or not. if you want more power for the buck, a ktuner is probably a smartest buy .... period. next would be an rv6 downpipe . and last would be an exhaust. I went back to a stock intake + k&n drop in, and the car still has pep

Sorry for my ignorance, but what makes a Ktuner, I mean it must be some kind of modification of the vehicle's computer but I have no idea how it works or how it is used. Should I have some experience in mechanics or programming or is it easy to use?

Old 06-18-2019, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BUCARO
Sorry for my ignorance, but what makes a Ktuner, I mean it must be some kind of modification of the vehicle's computer but I have no idea how it works or how it is used. Should I have some experience in mechanics or programming or is it easy to use?

this is a topic you'll need to do research on, and probably shouldnt take advice from 1 single source/1 single person

here are some decent threads/links to get ya started:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...u-reflash.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...cu-tuning.html

https://ktuner.com/
https://ktuner.com/2015fit/

Old 06-18-2019, 04:30 PM
this is a topic you'll need to do research on, and probably shouldnt take advice from 1 single source/1 single person

here are some decent threads/links to get ya started:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...u-reflash.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...cu-tuning.html

https://ktuner.com/
https://ktuner.com/2015fit/
thanks.... i appreciate!!!!!

Old 06-18-2019, 06:31 PM

and what about the spacer, i have that in mind too, do you feel is a good option for the permormance

Old 06-24-2019, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
no

/msg length

Quick Reply: Evilchargerfan's GK5 - Ballin On A Budget, Minus The Ballin Part (poor mans build!)