Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

K20 Fit How To Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, lots of good info on this thread.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lickety Fit
Nice Job on the install, but the info about the K20Z1 vs. K20A2 is a bit off.

The K20Z1 makes about 10 more wheel hp stock than a K20A2. The K20Z1 uses PRC Type R Cams and once mods get into the picture... really shines over the K20A2. If you check ClubRSX just bolt ons, Intake, Raceheader, Exhaust the K20Z1 05+ RSX-S's are making 200-205 whp. The K20A2 making around 190 whp with the same mods.

Another big advantage the K20Z1 has over the K20A2 is the addition of carbon synchros and the JDM Type R Final Drive, which comes in at 4.77. The Final drive makes a HUGE difference. If both the K20Z1 and K20A2 were to be modded to equal hp, the K20Z1 will pull hard on the K20A2 due to the final drive, its been proven on ClubRSX.
I'm Not saying that The K20A2 is King, believe me I know a that the newer motor was better, not specifics as you have informed, and thus is good to know. I was thinking somewhere down the line of changing to the new SI tranny (LSD)!! But to say the least, the amount of WHP out of any K20 Fit with K-pro should be extremely fun and Still worth doing regardless of which motor you find! I saved money on getting the A2 and the savings I can spend on mods! But for now my concern is etting this thing in and running for now! Should be one month to 1.5 months!

Stay Tuned!

Originally Posted by lcq4blackstar
You are adding 100LB. and about 100HP to the car. You should box in the frame for sure...
I was thinking about adding metal to the bottom of the frame and bolting it to it in a straight line along the length of the frame rail to add ridgidity.

I have smoothed the hole and rustproof'd it as of yesterday, I will take pics later.

Originally Posted by lcq4blackstar
Also what will you do to the front suspension to handle the extra weight? Great Job by the way!
Progress Group has developed a slew of things for the K20 Fit. (they HAD the Hasport Fit for development of parts)

Progress Rear sway bar to keep the back on track! (GOt that already)

Progress Coilovers (Not out yet)

I have a Front Strut Tower bar by GTSpec.

That's it for now, I think that will be suffecient.

Last edited by gettinafit; 06-14-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by gettinafit
Progress Group has developed a slew of things for the K20 Fit. (they HAD the Hasport Fit for development of parts)

Progress Rear sway bar to keep the back on track! (GOt that already)

Progress Coilovers (Not out yet)

I have a Front Strut Tower bar by GTSpec.

That's it for now, I think that will be suffecient.
So that's why it took so long Checking this thread everday for updates, keep up the good work!

Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Everybody had this car! Fastbrakes made the rear disc conversion on this car, Hondata did the ecu tuning (I hear).

YOu can check out the full done up Hasport Fit at K swapped Fit Information - K20 to K24

Old 06-16-2007, 12:45 AM
what axles are you using for the conversion??

Old 06-16-2007, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
and checking online i can't seem to find info on AT swaps, from what i recall, all the SI engines are manual only. Are there any swaps for more HP engines in AT?

Old 06-16-2007, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
and checking online i can't seem to find info on AT swaps, from what i recall, all the SI engines are manual only. Are there any swaps for more HP engines in AT?
With Much conversion, and if you Call Hasport maybe they can help you with something, but as of now there is nothing out for the A/T.

Originally Posted by hinezz
what axles are you using for the conversion??
Hasport Swap Axles.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
**updates**

Not much progress that I have pictures of, but wiring is in the works!!

I have taken a few hours as I mentioned and the engine is out of the engine bay once again, I'm awaiting Unorthodox Racing CLutch and lightweight Flywheel, wiring completion, and header.

In the meantime things that had to be done, Conversion fro DBW to Cable (drilling the hole for the cable to reach the pedal.) The Shifter box on the Fit actuates the cable in a different motion that does the RSX will accept, and the cables are too short, SO I had to get the RSX shifter box and custom get it to fit along with the corresponding shifter cables.

Here's the Cable Accel Pics:

as you can see the engine is no longer in the bay:

All done

Now here are the pics of the Shifter cables and boxes side by side:
(Smaller ones are the Fit's and the largers ones are the RSX's)

The Problem with fitment and where modification will be made.

Existing holes were ofset, and the RSX is flat as you can see here:

Cables comming out into the engine bay:

That's all for this weekend, TOmorrow is Father's day so a Day off from the Car more than likely.

During the week more to come!

Stay Tuned@!

Last edited by gettinafit; 06-16-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Well Even thought it's father's Day I had a couple of hours of down time, So I went out to the garage and modified the shifter box and shroud to fit in the car nicely. It still needs a bit of adjustment, but that will come later after I have the engine and transmission are in and I see the shift travel.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
sweet dude.keep the pics coming and keep on keeping on

Old 06-19-2007, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
**update**
With a little bit of cutting and modifying and screwing and yelling!! I got the shifter to sit in the right spot and have the console clear it! Too much work went into it step by step, (try, cut more, ....try .... cut more) SO I didn't take pics, but I will post up the finished product!.

I also cut the A/C lines and bent them with a Brake line mandrel to get them to clear the passenger side frame rail, I just need it welded with a 7.5" straight addition. (I gotta have A/C!)

Still waiting on Unorthodox racing clutch..... My friend works there and apparently we are waiting on it to be MADE! Any case SHOULD be here sometime thi week, and then this weekend in goes the motor once again and possibly permanently!

Last edited by gettinafit; 06-20-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
dang!! I'm drooling over this thread! Very good progress Lance, hope to see your finish product soon...just don't smoke us during the meets...

Old 06-20-2007, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Today's UPdate!!

**UPdate**

Today I decided to do a little something in the garage. I did the valve cover gasket that was leaking, and I got a shot of the pristine condtion head! (the old owner maintained it well!). And I have the picture of the completed shifter as promised! I also seperated the Transmission from the engine and took off the clutch B/C I got the New Flywheel today!! No sense in putting things together since I still have to wait for the clutch tomorrow! And I cleaned up my intake manifold and Throttle body, needs new gasket I noticed. And a pic of the cleaned up rust-proofed drivers side notch in the frame rail!

Here starts those pics:

Shifter All nicey nice!

Valve cover off: (No sludge in this motor!)

Vave cover back on!

Cleaned up rust proofed Notch in the drivers side Framerail:

Transmission Out (Transmission bellhousing pictured)

Hasport Transmission bracket affixed to Transmission!

Stock Flywheel on engine

Lghtweight Flywheel From Unorthodox Racing!

That;s all for now! Stay Tuned!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Damn Lance!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
looks good.keep the updates coming

Old 06-20-2007, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
will your Vtec light going to work again after all this process???

Old 06-21-2007, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
I decided to Scrap the Vtec Light for the K20 because I don't need a Vtec Light, for the K20A2's Vtec is so loud and drastic of a change that it is IMpossible for one not to tell when Vtec Kicks in!

I only made a Vtec Light for the L15A1 because it was unnoticeable of a change in sound or feel! The L15A1 VTEC crossover was SO LOW at 2300 RPMS it was virtally impossible NOT to be in VTEC unless you had a very very soft foot and drove less than 60 MPH on the highway!

With the K20 I will not be in VTEC until at least 5000 or whichever point the best performance program I choose uses. (Hondata KPRO to the Ecu to make it fully adjustable/tunable!) But with the K20 I will not be concerned with Fuel economy because I KNOW that I will be using MORE gas and I MUST use premium Fuel ONLY!! (91-94 Octane ONLY!) High Compression needs high AKI (Anti Knock Index'd Fuel Octane) That's the price for Speed! Maybe I'll keep the Vtec Light for a bit until it becomes too annoying.. We'll see!

Last edited by gettinafit; 06-21-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:42 PM
have you made any headway with the wiring yet? for some reason that's the only thing im interested in. do you have a plan on how to do it yet? the only way i see it working is that you use the RSX's engine harness and cabin harness with the rsx cluster.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by quangalang
have you made any headway with the wiring yet? for some reason that's the only thing im interested in. do you have a plan on how to do it yet? the only way i see it working is that you use the RSX's engine harness and cabin harness with the rsx cluster.
tru that..im interested in that as well, since im almst done wit my k24 conversion too. i still hvnt got a ecu yet coz im tossing between getting kpro and somehow hooking up the dash with dc5 cluster OR my last bet is jst to go standalone running a autronic sm4 ecu.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
Like with most swaps, the best way was to use the Stock engine harness and add the sensors and wiring for what is missing.

The Reason as to why I have to do it that way as opposed to using the RSX harness fully, is that the Fit Computer needs to see a lot of the sensors to keep ABS, EPS, and of course the instrument cluster. All newer cars 2005-up use a new CAN bus multiplexing communication highway that can't be disrupted, it only talk to the Fit computer!! The RSX computer has to be joined in on that harness somehow to be able to run the engine as outlined by the software in the RSX computer. SO there needs to be a whole bunch of clips of ECU's, and a few jumpers together!

That gives you the basic idea of what I'm doing. AND the other thing is that Since I'm not using DBW anymore that is another issue I don't have to worry about with the wiring!

Quick Reply: K20 Fit How To Discussion