Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

K&N Filter kit for a Jazz

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 09:15 AM
The engine isn't tuned for anything cept for .. well, the stock engine But the ECU has the ability to "tune" in Closed Loop.

As for the statement that the short intake arm will yield power - thats not true. It will suck up heated air from the engine bay, and cause performance loss.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:30 PM
haha, quite honestly....one thing that i don't really like about Fit is that....the engine compartment is so damn tight..

do you guys realize how hard it is to replace the bulb?

you gotta do it from the wheel wells, right?

ugh.......the space is so cramped that i can't fit my own hand from the engine bay to change em..

Old 08-02-2005, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by strepto
Adding an aftermarket intake system is probably the most common upgrade today. However - in most cases it will increase the fuel consumption. The reason is simple. The Jazz ECU uses the output of the primary O2 sensor to calculate injector Duty Cycle. This is done in whats called a Closed Loop operation - a part of the OBD1 and OBD2 systems.

In Closed Loop Mode - the ECU will use the output of the O2 sensor to correct the fuel injectors output to match an Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) of 14.7 units of air, to 1 unit of fuel. An AFR @ 14.7:1 is called Stoich. This is the point where the blend of fuel and oxygen is optimalized to perform its best without causing too much exhaust - and without sacrificing performance. The lower the AFR value, the more fuel is consumed.

When you add a new performace Intake System the engine gets more air. ECU will get a feedback from the primary O2 sensor saying that "Hey, I got more Air today, toss in some fuel there!" and ECU increases the Duty Cycle of the injector - thus adding fuel.

Closed Loop operations are usually located between 1500 and 4000 RPMs. On the higher revs the ECU uses static maps programmed into the ECU to calculate injector Duty Cycle. This is called Open Loop. Regardless of amount of air entering the engine, the ECU will tell the injectors to spray the same amount of fuel. This causes another problem with the aftermarket intake.

The stock ECU has its fuel and ignition maps made based on the stock intake, and the supplied air the stock intake can take - of course with a certain degree of variation based on climate, temerature, etc. When you add a new intake to the car, which gives the engine more air - you can end up running lean on the higher RPMs. Ultimately - this can cause the engine to overheat and in rare cases die on you due to overheating (high AFR causes more heat). A more common problem is engine knock and reduced performance from the engine.

An aftermarket intake system can yield great results performance wise - but like all other engine parts - it needs to be tuned to perform its best
Hi Strepto,

I don't seem to be getting this problem. I sometimes run the car close to 6000 rpm before changing gears and I do a sustained 4000+rpm on highways occasionally when there are no cars. The engine does not seem to overheat and I don't encounter engine knocking. We have warm weather here in the Philippines. What possible signs do I look for?

Also, you have mentioned that it needs to be tuned to perform its best. Can you explain more about how to do this?

By the way, I do consistently better in terms of gasoline consumption. This is probably because I get more response with a lighter touch on the gas pedal than I did before. And this filter has a tube that feeds cold air so it's not getting all the hot air.

Thanks.

Last edited by ken1279; 08-02-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ken1279
Hello,

I just want to share my feedback the filter upgrade I did on my 1.3 i-DSI Jazz.

Pros:
1) Increased throttle response. This is expected since the air intake is less restrictive.

2) Increased power on Low, Mid and High RPM range.

3) Lower gas consumption. If I don't go over 3,000 RPM.

Cons:
1) Since the response is great, I get tempted to go faster than usual so sometimes I consume too much gasoline . Not to mention that I also go over the speedlimit . Other than that, I don't see a downside to it yet.

Actual picture of my filter:

More info on the filter:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-0602
i would like to know where did u get your K&N filter from and how much does it cost, and is it easy to install, If u got it in manila where exactly?

Old 08-09-2005, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
I got it from the distributor of K&N here in the Manila:
Fusion R Motorsports
Address: 1328 A E. Rodriguez Ave., QC
Phone: (632)724-3921

I bought it for Php 11,000. And yes, I would say it is relatively easy to install.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:46 PM
That's a nice filter for the Jazz!

Old 08-15-2005, 05:15 AM
too bad that FIT's engine bay is too cramp. It's true on what Strepto's words, the short air intake for FIT sucks up warm air, that's what I'm so worry about with this K&N intake, even though it has a cold air feeder tube.

The problem is that our FIT can't take a cold air intake so that the air/fuel ratio will not be optimized to the full extent. Unless if you can secured the air filter to a isolated box that pull cold air.

I used to have an AEM cold air intake with my CD5 Honda (F22 engine), I thought I had a pretty good air/fuel ratio until I got an air/fuel controller, then I realized I have somewhat optimized the air/fuel ratio.

But now in Jakarta, with flood everywhere when it rains *sigh*, no more cold air intake!!

Btw, Ken, does the K&N has input/hole for the O2 sensor? do you have pictures of your HKS exhaust and grounding cable installation? Can you post them if you don't mind? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DeJaVu; 08-15-2005 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
have u had any problems so far with the intake? like suckin up warm air?, have u heard of Simota air intakes they say that can have one made for the jazz, my sister told me this cos she lives in manila, ayala, they have this store that sells car accessories and the dude told her that they can order a simota intake for the jazz
What do u guys think about this Simota intakes?

Old 08-15-2005, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DeJaVu
too bad that FIT's engine bay is too cramp. It's true on what Strepto's words, the short air intake for FIT sucks up warm air, that's what I'm so worry about with this K&N intake, even though it has a cold air feeder tube.

The problem is that our FIT can't take a cold air intake so that the air/fuel ratio will not be optimized to the full extent. Unless if you can secured the air filter to a isolated box that pull cold air.

I used to have an AEM cold air intake with my CD5 Honda (F22 engine), I thought I had a pretty good air/fuel ratio until I got an air/fuel controller, then I realized I have somewhat optimized the air/fuel ratio.

But now in Jakarta, with flood everywhere when it rains *sigh*, no more cold air intake!!

Btw, Ken, does the K&N has input/hole for the O2 sensor? do you have pictures of your HKS exhaust and grounding cable installation? Can you post them if you don't mind? Thanks in advance.
Yes it does have a hole for the O2 sensor. I think the tube is sufficiently supplying cold air because it works in tandem with the existing stock cold air intake coming up from the left headlight. This is why the HKS filter is positioned in that area right in front of the battery.

About the air/fuel controller, I don't think I'll need this yet. Even the guy who tunes my car disagrees that I need this. I wanted the Apex'i air/fuel controller because it looks cool. For now, Intake/Header/Exhaust would be enough for me until I get money enough for a turbo. Then I'll need that air/fuel controller.

I'll look for pics of the HKS exhaust. About the grounding kit, what pictures do you require? A close-up?

Last edited by ken1279; 08-15-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azkikersfit
have u had any problems so far with the intake? like suckin up warm air?, have u heard of Simota air intakes they say that can have one made for the jazz, my sister told me this cos she lives in manila, ayala, they have this store that sells car accessories and the dude told her that they can order a simota intake for the jazz
What do u guys think about this Simota intakes?
I heard from a friend that the quality of Simota intakes have improved but the Simota filter cone does not last as long as the K&N. I never owned one though so I can't attest to this.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Dejavu,

I uploaded pics of my car in the gallery section. You might be able to see the HKS muffler there. I also included a new pic of my engine bay.

Last edited by ken1279; 08-15-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Dejavu,

I uploaded pics of my car in the gallery section. You might be able to see the HKS muffler there. I also included a new pic of my engine bay.
Thanks Ken, btw, is your car A/T or M/T? I was told by a local guy in another forum that he has a A/T i-DSi, and he did not recommend K&N air intake, it made his Jazz feel less powerful on the low-end, so he took it out.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Ken, btw, is your car A/T or M/T? I was told by a local guy in another forum that he has a A/T i-DSi, and he did not recommend K&N air intake, it made his Jazz feel less powerful on the low-end, so he took it out.
No problems on low-end for me. I'm using M/T.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Just curious whether this kit would fit on the 1.2 Jazz (GD5-L12A)

Old 08-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by kentris
Just curious whether this kit would fit on the 1.2 Jazz (GD5-L12A)
K&N only have panel filters for the 1.5L but the pod will probably fit though the K&N website only lists the 1.4 for the pod kit.

K&N Part number for the panel filter is 33-2872.

The pod kit is 57-0602. Installation instructions: http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-0602.pdf.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:33 AM
Thumbs up Got the K&N intake kit

Bought and installed the K&N intake kit last weekend

https://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/dis...e.php?pos=-499

Mine did not have an O2 sensor, so I had to customized it. Also, I didn't put the flexible hose under the tray, but I found a rectangle hose going down under the front fender, so I decided to take the air from there.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the product.
Btw, mine is GD3 L15A vtec A/T, low end is not a problem.

Prop to Ken who had answered my curious questions

Last edited by DeJaVu; 08-29-2005 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:24 AM
Link no workie. Would like to see!

Old 08-29-2005, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by strepto
Link no workie. Would like to see!
Editted the link, put the rest of the picts in the gallery, sorry for the dead link.

Last edited by DeJaVu; 08-29-2005 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Bought and installed the K&N intake kit last weekend

https://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/dis...e.php?pos=-499

Mine did not have an O2 sensor, so I had to customized it. Also, I didn't put the flexible hose under the tray, but I found a rectangle hose going down under the front fender, so I decided to take the air from there.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the product.
Btw, mine is GD3 L15A vtec A/T, low end is not a problem.

Prop to Ken who had answered my curious questions
Hey! Glad to hear that you're satisfied! Like the sound of it? hehe...

Last edited by ken1279; 08-30-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Hey! Glad to hear that you're satisfied? Like the sound of it? hehe...
You don't happen to have a sound recording of your engine with the K&N filter?

I find revving my car to about 3-4k revs sounds really nice.

Quick Reply: K&N Filter kit for a Jazz