Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

How much BOOST can it take?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
I wonder how much boost my AT can hold even with tranny cooler 7psi maxxx??

Old 10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
It'll take exactly as much as it can take...

Only one way to find out!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Please don't try this with a manual boost controller.

Does anyone have the part number for the factory fuel pump and could they see if it is matched with another Honda? Service manual anyone?

I'm wondering if a fuel pump from a CRV would be a worth while upgrade and if it would work.

I'm curious as to see who can hit 200hp first.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Thats a good question. I don't know of anyone who has an aftermarket pump. It's something we should see soon, though, as I have a feeling 10lbs is really going to stress that stock pump.

And when I said try it out, of course I meant on a dyno with your tuner in a controlled environment.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by Nabisco
Please don't try this with a manual boost controller.

Does anyone have the part number for the factory fuel pump and could they see if it is matched with another Honda? Service manual anyone?

I'm wondering if a fuel pump from a CRV would be a worth while upgrade and if it would work.

I'm curious as to see who can hit 200hp first.
Why not use an MBC? I've heard of cheap-o MBCs causing boost spikes and creep, but I've also heard that even some good EBCs have the same problems as MBCs. Hallman makes the best MBCs out there and their controllers are a very high quality. You should check out their website... I paid $150 for my MBC from them.. not cheap.

I don't want to go over 200whp. I'm gonna increase the boost to around 9-10psi and see where it stands. If some companies made new internals for our cars I wouldn't mind trying to go higher, but being at 160whp now causes some traction issues. I think getting another 20-30whp is more than enough for myself.

Anything more IMO will just set off the balance of the car too much... if your all about draggin in a straight line then go for broke, but I want to keep my car a peppy daily driver with sleeper status

Old 10-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Amen on the traction issue, my falkens need to be retired in favor of some stickier rubber. Especially in 1st. WOT? There is no WOT, only rev-limit!

Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
Amen on the traction issue, my falkens need to be retired in favor of some stickier rubber. Especially in 1st. WOT? There is no WOT, only rev-limit!
Ya. 1st gear needs to be taller... once boost kicks in in 1st gear its like a smack in the face! lol..

I'm shopping for some new tires too... I have general exclaim uhp tires.. I think I'm gonna go Toyo T1Rs... should just get some drag radials

Old 10-23-2008, 12:57 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YeeFit
Ya. 1st gear needs to be taller... once boost kicks in in 1st gear its like a smack in the face! lol..

I'm shopping for some new tires too... I have general exclaim uhp tires.. I think I'm gonna go Toyo T1Rs... should just get some drag radials
just go for the mickey thompson sticky slicks. pure grip unless it rains then you have another problem called hydro-planing

Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member
so u boosted 10lbs yet ? yeefit ??

Old 10-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by FELIXY69
so u boosted 10lbs yet ? yeefit ??
Friday Nov. 7th! I'm going to a local shop here to have it tuned real good.

I'm waiting on my boost controller to clear customs.. It's stuck been at the border for 4 days now. As long as I have my boost controller in before the 7th, then I'll be going to get it all done up!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Woot woot!

USPS brought me a nice anodized purple gift today!

My boost controller is here... install looks simple and should only take me 15 mins or so. I'm gonna pop it in next Thursday night and then its off to RCTS to get the car dyno tuned to 9-10psi the next morning!!

Wish me luck!

Now I just need my engine mounts delivered to support the extra powah!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
please let me know if you blow ur motor or tranny.. !! i hope not tho...
but i am excited to see 10psi on stock L15...

Old 10-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by FELIXY69
please let me know if you blow ur motor or tranny.. !! i hope not tho...
but i am excited to see 10psi on stock L15...
I won't blow my motor, the L15A will take up to 15psi safely. I'm only going to 9-10psi, and I have a lot of support that it will be fine at 9-10psi. Skunk2 ran theirs at 15 psi safely, and then blew the motor at 21psi. JDMChris is running his KWSC at 12psi now, so I don't really have any fears. I don't plan on breaking the 200whp barrier, I want to get it close to 180-190whp and will tune it to that.

As for the tranny, I don't have an automatic, so I won't have any issues.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:32 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i bet in another month or two you will want to break the 200 barrier mark.
boost is addictive

Old 10-31-2008, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
i bet in another month or two you will want to break the 200 barrier mark.
boost is addictive
It is an addiction I agree. But in order to get 200+ whp in our cars there needs to be many more precautions and fuel upgrades to get over that number.

Plus, the snow is about to fall where I live and it'll stick on the ground for the next 5 months so going even higher is pretty pointless... but come spring time, it may be another story

Old 10-31-2008, 01:39 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
true to the snow problems when the fit drives like raped ape.
know how much power skunk2 was laying down before the engine had failures?
there is a guy in the asias that is pushing 430 i think. he has sleeved the cylinders and forged internals and upgraded fuel delivery system. im not sure how the trans is agreeing with that but he showed dyno results so..... i guess its true. what fails first when putting boost to the l15?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
true to the snow problems when the fit drives like raped ape.
know how much power skunk2 was laying down before the engine had failures?
there is a guy in the asias that is pushing 430 i think. he has sleeved the cylinders and forged internals and upgraded fuel delivery system. im not sure how the trans is agreeing with that but he showed dyno results so..... i guess its true. what fails first when putting boost to the l15?
Ya I saw that guys turbo fit on the forum, but his powerband was pretty useless IMO. He must've had a big turbo in there since it didn't really pop full boost and peak hp til around 5000rpms.

That's not my cup of tea.. i want a fast reliable DD.

I have no idea how much the skunk2 fit was making, but I remember seeing a dyno of the KWSC Skunk2 fit, and they were pushing around 210whp and they had fully built internals. All custom work.

The first thing to go if you've upgraded the fuel system I think would be the pistons, rods, or block.. they aren't built for that much power and unfortunately we don't have much aftermarket support yet "internals" wise.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:54 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i read the casting process for the head and block dont leave alot of extra material for people to use for porting or sleeving. seems like honda was picky with building the l15 on how much aluminum they used. bummer for us. has anyone started development on internals for the fit? i know you can get custom stuff for the cost of your first born child.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:56 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
how awesome would that be if someone built a high flow head for our cars.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:00 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
its an even better dream to think if a f22 or h22 or b16 head bolted onto of the l15.
how much boost you running kelsodeez?

Quick Reply: How much BOOST can it take?