Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
I got a nice small (roughly 3") round tip, mildly slant cut with a rolled edge on mine. Looks freakin sweet IMO. I also pulled the straight pipe off and sprayed it flat black as well.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Smile

This is for MERLYNMUZIK so hope I am in the correct reply post. Do you have sound video of drive by. I would like to hear your set up as it is something I might try.

Last edited by Jaime; 08-31-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 08-31-2008, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Who's that?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
so i finally got around to taking the muffler off and running it around here a little this morning. i have to say yeah it is fun. it doesn't sound good but it doesn't sound bad either. at the low rpms it sounds like a..hole. i concluded it is extremely rice. i got home and looked at the engine.. and thought... 'this is a really freakin small engine to be making this much noise' so i put the stupid heavy stock muffler back on.. oh well, it was fun and i got to PO some neighbors who probably thought they were in for years of listening to my loud exhaust.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
You must have some a very stringent definition of a nice sounding exhaust. I've even had V8 guys give me compliments on how nice it sounds. I've got a straight pipe put in place of it though, which significantly changed the tone of the exhaust from just running no muffler with it coming out in front of the rear wheel.

Last edited by Arisenfury; 09-12-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
i mean no disrespect.

really though it sounds sweet at the high revs, but that drone at the low rpms is annoying to me.. i just keep imagining these crappy rusted out old hondas and guys running them without mufflers and thinking they're cool.. i don't want to be one of them. at the same time i realize the L15 is a nice sounding engine.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Oh I didn't take it as any disrepect, no worries. I'm just trying to figure out how you didn't like how it sounds lol. It's noticably different from the guys who just throw a far-can muffler on their old Honda's without any resonators and who take out the cat. Mine with the straight pipe is about as loud as my old Megan Racing axle-back was. And a little quieter than the Skunk2 cat-back that I've heard in person. It does drone a bit at 2000 rpm but it's not obnoxious loud. Even my mom said it's not loud lol.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
haha, yeah its all good.. this is my first honda it's like this whole world i never knew existed

i might consider a straight pipe with the flange so i could change it out when ever. if its less than $100 then it's worth doing

you have some great photography btw

Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure if you read the thread I made up on mine. I got mine done for a total cost of around $40, but I kinda had an inside guy. The only downside to mine was I had to chop up my stock muffler, but you can get them for $90 via CollegeHills and I've seen them as cheap as $30-40 here used. Pretty much just took a table saw with teeth for metal right where the pipe enters the muffler. Then got an upsizer from 1.5" to 2" just 'cause the 2" piping was eaiser to find and tips matched up better. I then had to buy the pipe in a 3ft length and bought a tip for around $10. (I've since replaced it with something a little nicer which was about $20 but that's seperate). After that I just had my brother's friend weld it all together for a 12pack of Bud. It comes out fairly straight, I could've spent more time and had it come out perfectly straight but it's not off by too much that it's noticable. Once I find a good enough camcorder I'll try and get some videos up. It sounds beautiful with an SRI and street headers.

Thanks for the compliment too

Old 09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
so, fumes leaking in....no issue right? and in doing this, is it safe to say it will provide a smidge more HP? i drive an AT and im interested in trying this but naturally im a little skeptical, and one more thing...no burn marks will occur underneath the car???...i know it dosent matter TOO much being "underneath" the car but you know...id prefer to keep the car nice and neat, and i love the "no muffler" look.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Bunch of people here said no prolems with fumes. I made up a straight pipe for that problem anyway. I did notice a nicer pull in the extreme reaches of the RPM range over my Megan Racing axle-back.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
been off for a year almost and no issues of fumes or burning of anything under the car.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 AM
well i took it off yesterday, looks great without it. as for the sound, its louder than i expected but it dosen't sound bad by any means. chances are, if its not raining Saturday...ill go for a ride on some of the twisty turny roads around here and get all the enjoyment i can out of the sound...then put it back on later, it sounds nice...but its a little too loud for me. i didnt notice any changes performance-wise, it feels the same on the low-end and not much different anywhere else. well, either its going back on tommorrow...or i may say screw it and keep it off till i buy an aftermarket axle-back.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
oh...in case anyone wants to know, i weighed the stock muffler on a scale and it came in at 11.5 lbs., how accurate that is im not sure...but i weighed it several times and it hovered at around 11.4 to 11.5 lbs. any weight taken off the weight is definately a good thing.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 AM
ruh roh. i mean, "any weight taken off the Fit is a good thing"....oops.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
That's basically the weight I got, too. That's pretty light, all things considered, not much benefit going to anything aftermarket from a weight-savings perspective.

HF

Old 09-12-2008, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
driving w/ no muffler made me drive too fast

lol i ended up running it like that for a couple of days... its safe for the car to do so have fun

Old 09-13-2008, 01:30 PM
I have decided to keep mine the way it is. Seems there is no gain in MPG or HP. Sounds kinda hot when I listen to video clips but sound is the only gain other than loose a few Lbs. Exhaust is exhaust no matter where it comes from. The Fit burns very clean but I still would not want exhaust under my car. I would be tempted to get under there and wash it. HA!! Too each his/her own.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
uh oh???

mmmkay, ive had the muffler off since Friday and have been enjoying the sound and all but ive some questions....again. okay, frist off....i looked underneath the car and took a look at the pipe....there is a black residue building up around the tip of the pipe, is this normal...i get the feeling its not . as for the "performance" of the car, it does feel a bit weaker going from a dead stop but then again it seems to pull a little bit more at around 3500 to 4500 RPMs, perhaps installing a header would fix the weakness at launch???...ive heard good things about the Fit and headers when it comes to the low end. one more thing, muffler off with header....what kinda sound should i expect???

Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 PM
i was actually expecting it to be louder when i took it off. i think it sounds decent, and saving $200 on a muffler is worth it to me. I will probably fab up a straight pipe at some point, but i dont think the fit runs hot enough or dirty enough to be worried about the exhaust coming out by the wheel.

Quick Reply: anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??