Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I've been running without the muffler since 2 weeks after I bought it. And after 20k miles I can attest to the perfect level of volume this mod unlocks, and for FREE you get what you'd expect out of a $300 axleback. At first I was worried this would over heat the spare tire compartment and stain the undercarriage of the car, melt the bumber, and what not. Not a single one of those things has happened!!

I do intend to get a full catback and header system in the not so far future but just for the purpose of having a finished look. Basically I have put "Catback Exhaust System" out of my performance mod list and put it on my cosmetic mod list.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
my car threw a CEL without the damn muffler off

Old 08-13-2007, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
? Weird, must be something else and just a coincidence. I've driven over 20k miles without the muffler on and I haven't had a single problem, much less the CEL light. Go get the code read from your ECU at some cheap shop. Just ask to get the code read, they should probably ask you anywhere from $20 to $65 depending on the shop.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Wow, when I first started reading this post I was kind of laughing at you guys for taking the muffler off, But I have to say after hearing the clips it dosn't sound nearly as abnoxious as I thought it would

I wonder if you wanted to get a little extra sound with the stock muffler, if you could get away with putting in some washers to space out the connection about a half inch between the pipe and the muffler. Some of the exhuast would vent there giving you signifigantly less back pressure, but also it would muffle the sound to keep it in the granny-like db range

Old 08-13-2007, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nttdemented
? Weird, must be something else and just a coincidence. I've driven over 20k miles without the muffler on and I haven't had a single problem, much less the CEL light. Go get the code read from your ECU at some cheap shop. Just ask to get the code read, they should probably ask you anywhere from $20 to $65 depending on the shop.

maybe? and rather go to autozone to get it read for free. reset my ecu and its fine again

Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
^^You know what to do. Just watch that the CEL doesn't pop up again after the reset, it always turns off after a ECU reset but if the condition remains it will pop back up.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Wow, when I first started reading this post I was kind of laughing at you guys for taking the muffler off, But I have to say after hearing the clips it dosn't sound nearly as abnoxious as I thought it would

I wonder if you wanted to get a little extra sound with the stock muffler, if you could get away with putting in some washers to space out the connection about a half inch between the pipe and the muffler. Some of the exhuast would vent there giving you signifigantly less back pressure, but also it would muffle the sound to keep it in the granny-like db range

I did that with my '06 Civic... it sounded horrible; very raspy.

Some of the clips I've heard here don't sound too bad. Sounds a lot like my Megan Racing axle-back, just louder.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Its amaizing how good this mod is for free. The only benefit from an aftermarket axelback is costmetic. Not that I don't plan on adding an axleback, I already ordered a Tanabee Touring Medalion axleback to finish the look.

But really, the noise level is totally normal and controled! Not overly loud unless you floor it past 5k.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
i actually pulled the muffler off my fit today. lol. sounds better than stock, and i like the look of no muffler on the back

Old 08-18-2007, 02:52 AM
I did this for 2 or 3 days but put the muffler back on today.
Does anyone noticed any power loss? I feel it's slower than usual from a full stop.

Last edited by joquio; 08-18-2007 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by joquio
I did this for 2 or 3 days but put the muffler back on today.
Does anyone noticed any power loss? I feel it's slower than usual from a full stop.
I've noticed the exact opposite. It may be in my head but I fell like the car pulls, a little, better than with the stock exhaust. I just went over 28,000 miles and have been running without the exhaust for approx 25,000 of those miles.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by avosfit
I've noticed the exact opposite. It may be in my head but I fell like the car pulls, a little, better than with the stock exhaust. I just went over 28,000 miles and have been running without the exhaust for approx 25,000 of those miles.

but where are you guys running an AT CVT or all using manual. i've got a aussie GD3 AT CVT and am considering removing muffler, will it make a difference ?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm running an manual with a CAI. Everything else is stock. I don't know why you would have an issues with your GD3 AT...

Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 PM
interesting avofit, i was just at my local exhust workshop down the road from where i live today and i brought up the idea of removing the muffler and using a bolt on straight pipe.

he said that is not worth doing it. it would sound "farty and tinny" and recommended me geting a "super cat cannon muffler"

is there any truth to this or is he trying to upsell me and get me to get a muffler?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:22 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
straight pipe

I have 23,000 miles on my MT Fit. Pulled out the muffler and replaced it with a chrome straight pipe. It sounds great. Not too quiet and not too loud. I had exhaust on my 1999 Civic EX and that was annoying loud. The straight pipe has a nice low growl to it, not high pitched and whiny. I've heard with DOHC engines are high pitched and whiny, but with SOHC engines have a lower pitch to them. I like the sound and still get the same MPG. It has never given me any problems. I'm done with buying mods to make my car faster. There's no point. Just mod the suspension.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
I fully intended to leave my Fit stock but couldn't help myself. After reading this thread I had to see what all the talk was about. So I spent all of 2 minutes pulling the muffler off and it really sounds pretty good. The only thing I don't like is the slight hum it making above 70mph. Other than that it sounds pretty good, especially at full throttle for a 1.5 liter.

Can anyone with an Axleback system let me know which was louder? I like the sound but wouldn't mind it being a little quieter on the highway. If the Tanabe. Aspec or one of the other Axlesbacks quiet it down a little I might get one.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:08 PM
sorry for the nobbness, but how does somebody go about removing their muffler?

i see the two bolts that hold it together however theres the hangers, so how does the muffler come out?

Old 09-17-2007, 03:54 AM
Banned
Takes about 2 minutes. Take the bolts out grab the donut gasket so it doesn't get lost. Grab the muffler (COLD) and wiggle it toward the front of the car. The "legs" going into the rubber hangers slip out of the hangers and off comes the muffler. Take any rubber hangers off their long mounting studs and keep them so they don't get lost. A little silicone spray or liquid dish soap on the legs of the muffler will help them slip out of the rubber mounts.

Last edited by claymore; 09-17-2007 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by hoey888
interesting avofit, i was just at my local exhust workshop down the road from where i live today and i brought up the idea of removing the muffler and using a bolt on straight pipe.

he said that is not worth doing it. it would sound "farty and tinny" and recommended me geting a "super cat cannon muffler"

is there any truth to this or is he trying to upsell me and get me to get a muffler?
I have spoke with a handfull of people that have done the straight through pip without any 'muffler'. All of them have sounded good (not as good as muffler-less) in my opinion. The muffler shop may be thinking in terms of legality with having a straight pipe...

Eventually I will prob go to an HKS Hi-Power and switch between it on and off. Once I have the J's Turbo I will have to run an axelback exhaust with the system.

If you go back to the exhaust shop I would find out if they could fashion a straight pipe that you could just bolt up as opposed to a welded system that if you don't like it... Just my opinion.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:27 AM
yea i've got an aussie spec LS15 auto on my fit. just recently went to an exhust shop and did some experimenting.

gotta say running mufflerless sounds so good. as great as any aftermarket muffler. i had bs from people saying that it would be this and that, you know tinny and bad....

would recommend driving without muffler (and without axle straight pipe). By having a staight pipe axle back, for some reason it muffles it slightly, making it not sound as good mufflerless.

Due to tight ass regulations in aus i've got a genric sport muffler to avoid any fines for running mufflerless and poluting enviroment

Quick Reply: anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??