Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by milano sol
the flange from the muffler.....isnt that one very very simialr to older civics/del sols/integras where the axle section is? if so i got 3 flanges and might make a custom pipe with tip to make sure heat/gases exit the rear.

Should be the same

Old 09-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I wish there were some nice mufflershops around here.. all the ones ive seen are ghetto and some shop wanted $250 to cut off the muffler and make a pipe to replace w/ a muffler..

Old 09-24-2006, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Just to let the guy who drove his sentra without a manifold on,that will burn the shiat out of your valves.And you guys wanna hear loud?How bout a 350 with a lumpy ass cam,11.5:1 compression a huge lower intake and the biggest baddest ass headers you ever seen......at 7 grand.Thats loud.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
i started the car and rev'd it abit with out the stock muffler didnt sound bad i liked it actually but then i said time for the real one!!!! threw the aspec on!!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 01:56 PM
wish I could find a decent flow thru muffler (I can get the stock look alike fairly cheep but...) that just bolts on. And that doesn't cost $350++

Old 09-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by leonine
Do they make universal connectors that a muffler shop would have so they did not need to cut the muffler?
sure they do. I had my Accord cat back made and they actually wanted to fuze it to the back of the cat! NO! So they did it my way...
By the way, anyone owning a Accord 4 cyl wanting to fake it out with an Accord 1998 thru 2003 dual I have one REAL CHEAP. Of course including the two stock mufflers.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by docjim2
wish I could find a decent flow thru muffler (I can get the stock look alike fairly cheep but...) that just bolts on. And that doesn't cost $350++
I have always like the dynomax race magnum. It looks like a oem muffler (tho not necesary like an honda) it's straight tru, and its fairly cheap. Tho I had a custom pipe made by a local muff shop for $90 including the Magnaflow tip.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:44 PM
catalytic

Originally Posted by Aerodynamic Head
my understanding is that cats these days aren't the bottleneck in the system, the muffler is. So deleting the cat won't net any real gains unless you are running forced induction. But I've been wrong before.

After teh reviewing the pics again, I would almost think a straight pipe to teh rear of the car would be necessary...I mean, if you just unbolted the muffler at the flange wouldn't that allow the end of the B-pipe to flop up and down?
if you're really inventive you could poke the inside out of the cat (don't try this btw) and have a flow-thru cat. Except for the onboard computer running codes up the gump stump the car would STILL probably pass emmissions?!
Yea for Honda!

Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Thumbs up had an axleback pipe made for $45+tax in ny

absolutely love the sound ...deep growl!!!! i make any excuse to drive my 5spd mt fit and take the long way every chance i get. i live on long island in ny and had it done at meineke 3718 hempstead tpke (rt 24) levittown, ny 11756 (516) 735-5333. it does not sound like a ricer fart can. and it only cost $45 plus tax!!! i had them shape the pipe like a stock pipe ..stealth with all of the great sound. i can swap it out with the stock muffler if i need to....2 bolts and two hangers. i'm a 42 year old sound engineer and love great tone ie. boogie, marshall, api, and anything tube. it is well worth it at less than fifty bucks. the sound clips on line don't do justice to the real sound.
just do it!!!!

Old 11-13-2006, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MERLYNMUZIK
absolutely love the sound ...deep growl!!!! i make any excuse to drive my 5spd mt fit and take the long way every chance i get. i live on long island in ny and had it done at meineke 3718 hempstead tpke (rt 24) levittown, ny 11756 (516) 735-5333. it does not sound like a ricer fart can. and it only cost $45 plus tax!!! i had them shape the pipe like a stock pipe ..stealth with all of the great sound. i can swap it out with the stock muffler if i need to....2 bolts and two hangers. i'm a 42 year old sound engineer and love great tone ie. boogie, marshall, api, and anything tube. it is well worth it at less than fifty bucks. the sound clips on line don't do justice to the real sound.
just do it!!!!
Dam!! you beat my $90 by the half!!!..........Exellent!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Like the price

Originally Posted by carlosalicea
Dam!! you beat my $90 by the half!!!..........Exellent!
... I had a local muffler shop give me a quote on a "cat-back" but the thing would cost me $285. They did not want to do all of the bends and would cut the stock pipe right in back of the resonator. I asked about the axel back including muffler and the owner told me it would be around $200+. I didn't go back.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Im currently running my Fit with no muffler. Also a intake filter replacing the airbox filter.
The car is so much more peppy. Sounds good too. Its loud/louder of course, has a buzzy tone but I like it.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Has anyone just taken out the resonator? Would that change the tone. I always wondered just why a auto company would put a resonator on such a small 4 banger??

Old 11-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
You want to take out the resonator and leave the muffler off? I wouldnt suggest it, it'll be loud.

If you want to remove the muffler and leave on the OEM muffler than go for it. I dont really think it will gain anything besides a little sound.
Also, they install resonators to keep sound to a minimal. Most if not all cars have resonators.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
You want to take out the resonator and leave the muffler off? I wouldnt suggest it, it'll be loud.

If you want to remove the muffler and leave on the OEM muffler than go for it. I dont really think it will gain anything besides a little sound.
Also, they install resonators to keep sound to a minimal. Most if not all cars have resonators.
I do think that the main restriction is in the stock axle back. My little fit do feel more peppy whith the custom pipe I have it made.

Ok my custom shop guy told me that he would build me a cat back 2 or 2.25 inch for $200 and told me that if I really want it to sound loud, he would take the resonator.

Take for an example the SRT-4 ( I know is turbo ), it has no muffler, but do have resonator from the factory.

I am no engineer, but experience with other cars tells me that the resonator is the one to decide if your car is loud, or REALLY POINTLESS LOUD.

BTW, when I sudently become an old cranky man (sometimes fell is soon!), I will put a little resonator in the custom pipe to mute the sound a little, cause the only downside is some droning between 2-3k RPM's

Old 11-20-2006, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carlosalicea
As for the performance gains, I really dont know, may be zero, but the stock muffler seems restrictive, and weights too much so I ended with my Fit sounding really cool, plus weighting less. For me it is a win win situation (perhaps until my wife find out!!!! ) and I spend 90 dolars.

maybe the people who are writing hate post should try it first.........
Did you weigh the stock OEM axleback exhaust? Anyone?

I'm assuming it's pretty heavy. I would be interested in something quiet, but less restrictive and weighs less.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
Did you weigh the stock OEM axleback exhaust? Anyone?

I'm assuming it's pretty heavy. I would be interested in something quiet, but less restrictive and weighs less.
I haven't wheigt it but I have it laying arond the garage, so I will try to weight it, I have no scale tho.

And if you want it quieter, you can put a little resonator in the pipe you have made, and you'll have a less restricted, lighter custom made axle back!!

Old 12-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Talking pic of my pipe w/tip

I HOPE TO HAVE SOME DECENT MP3S RECORDED THIS WEEKEND!!!!

Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
interesting setup. maybe i will see it in person at our next meet.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Cool cool

give me a shout when you guys are gonna do another LI run. i hope to have my fujita sr intake soon

Quick Reply: anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??