Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 02:34 PM
i agree jaebee, it sounds rather nice considering. im still a little worried about the residue building up at the tip of the pipe though....its got me a little worried and ive stillr received no answer from anyone regarding this as an "issue" or not. i wouldnt mind turning it into some kind of "turn down" pipe at some point...thats IF everything turns out okay and that residue is causing no harm. everything seems safe about it though other than that, i was worried about that hose / line right above the pipe....but after some hard driving i got under there and felt the hose....it was a little warm and thats it.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gmayronne
mmmkay, ive had the muffler off since Friday and have been enjoying the sound and all but ive some questions....again. okay, frist off....i looked underneath the car and took a look at the pipe....there is a black residue building up around the tip of the pipe, is this normal...i get the feeling its not . as for the "performance" of the car, it does feel a bit weaker going from a dead stop but then again it seems to pull a little bit more at around 3500 to 4500 RPMs, perhaps installing a header would fix the weakness at launch???...ive heard good things about the Fit and headers when it comes to the low end. one more thing, muffler off with header....what kinda sound should i expect???
All exhaust tips are gonna get that black build up after a time. Just because it's underneath the car now doesn't mean it isn't suceptable. Street headers, SRI and no-muffler pulls great over stock. I wasn't able to hear the car no-muffler before my headers, but it does not sound loud at all. Gives it more of a growl though. If the weather hasn't started raining by the time I get home I'll try and make a video since I keep putting it off.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:19 PM
cool man, i appreciate the info and response and a video or sound clip would be great and also VERY appreciated. well since the residue is nothing i wont worry about it and ill continue driving without the muffler....i still love that sound. my future plans include a T1R Response header.....actually, and opinions will of course differ.....what is one of the better headers for the Fit, when it comes to cost and performance??? do ALL headers generally yield the same results, or is there one i should consider over the other....my price range is $300 to $450.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:51 PM
also, curious question.....when i removed the muffler, there was no gasket in between the mid-pipe and muffler. i crap you not, and from what i hear....there is supposed to be a gasket in between EVERY pipe right???....am i missing something here

Old 09-16-2008, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gmayronne
also, curious question.....when i removed the muffler, there was no gasket in between the mid-pipe and muffler. i crap you not, and from what i hear....there is supposed to be a gasket in between EVERY pipe right???....am i missing something here

yes there is a donut style gasket. if you forgot to look for it when you took it off and then you drove around, then checked. you lost it while driving. i lost mine somewhere on the road and have to order one. there should be some kind of donut looking gasket where the midpipe/muffler meet.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:17 PM
thats the weird part kancerr, i DID check for it when i took the muffler off. before removing the muffler i came here to get all the info about taking it off and what not and i remember reading about a gasket....but when i took it off, i checked the end of the muffler AND the end of the mid-pipe and no gasket .....seriously, i dont know what the deal is and i didnt hear anything fall off once the muff was removed. i thoroughly checked for this gasket and now im just lost as to where the hell it is .....anyway, if i decide to buy an axle-back for my car (whenever that may be)....do they usually COME WITH gaskets???

Old 09-16-2008, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
im not sure, im sure somebody will answer that question tho. if it doesnt come with a gasket you can order one from college hill honda. its about 16-20$. you can check with your local dealers but they might not have it in stock. i called a few around me, they didn't have it and would need to be ordered.

Last edited by kancerr; 09-16-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Are you sure you didn't leave it on by accident and it fell off? Seems kinda weird that they would just leave that out.

Either way I've got a video uploading to YouTube right now, I'll post a link once they process it.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
Are you sure you didn't leave it on by accident and it fell off? Seems kinda weird that they would just leave that out.

Either way I've got a video uploading to YouTube right now, I'll post a link once they process it.
it's probably quite possible that he did. there was a guy at the last meet i was at who said his didn't have a gasket on it either. i looked under the car and his gasket was still in place and pointed it out to him. i am guessing it is pretty easily over looked, even if you heard one is there...

Old 09-16-2008, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
lol i didn't realize that was a gasket, i'm glad it didn't fall off when i had mine off

Old 09-16-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
lol i didn't realize that was a gasket, i'm glad it didn't fall off when i had mine off
yeah haha mine fell off...i took the muffler off then asked people if there was a gasket, first reply said "nope, no gasket" so i went for a drive to test it out. went to put the muffler back on and the exhaust leaked...realized there was a gasket ;/ hah. still need to order one.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Video's finally up, was having trouble with fonts working.

YouTube - Honda Fit No Muffler

Old 09-16-2008, 09:52 PM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
haa feeling the posta boy music in ur vid thats oolllddd school 106 freestyle friday

Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Haha I love that song.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
^^^ I think it sounds bad ass..I cant wait 2 take the muffler off mine..just been busy as hell but i should be getting my Injen intake on monday and ill remove the muffler also..Dont really think i'll be dropping the serious money on an exhaust after trying this.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't expect it to sound exactly like mine, the straight-pipe really changed the exhaust note and I've also got headers as well. That being said, it still sounds pretty awesome even with just the muffler off.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:25 PM
By straight pipe..did u also do a CAT delete or do u still have the CAT on the car??

Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
I've got street headers up front, stock cat, stock b-pipe and a 2" straight pipe in place of the axle-back.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
hmmm.... ran mine on the dyno today... hp is 113 and the exhaust decibels with no muffler is 111.... definately not a ricer.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
So, any other mods besides the muffler delete? 113hp to the wheels is pretty exceptional power for a Fit. What kind of dyno was it?

HF

Quick Reply: anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??