Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:12 PM
So I've ran the Fit without an exhaust for awhile and I loved it, I was constantly paranoid about the exhaust leaking in though and so I decided to get a HKS Hi-Power exhaust. What I noticed is that they sounded identical!! So if any of you guys are unsure what your car would sound like with cat-back or a performance exhaust just take it off and see if you like it

Old 01-25-2008, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Last night as we installed my Progress springs and rear sway, I started it up to see what it sounded like and was amazed at what I heard. So I leave it off and find this thread today. LOL it's staying off and I'm NOT adding a straight pipe anytime soon. I wish I would have found this out sooner.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
as cool as it sounded like without a muffler. Today i decided to put mine back on due to the fact that there is a risk of burning the valves. And i'd gladly sacrifice sound over valves lol. I guess its okay cause now i get to save up to buy the HKS Hi Power Exhaust

Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitftw
as cool as it sounded like without a muffler. Today i decided to put mine back on due to the fact that there is a risk of burning the valves. And i'd gladly sacrifice sound over valves lol. I guess its okay cause now i get to save up to buy the HKS Hi Power Exhaust
Please explain how this is possible because I was going to leave mine off from here on out.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Less weight and nice deeper tone - when you see your depressed bud threading a rubber hose through the back window start worrying about fumes, if you're out in the open and moving around how can fumes get into the cab?

One thing I kept my eye on was the rubber brake hose, which is quite near, but no problems there either.

I don't see how removing a noise-suppressing muffer would damage valves - they just flap lift to let the exhaust gases out, what do they care if it's loud or not?

Take it off! Take it off!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think there's going to be any risk of burning valves, warping valves, or contributing to the delinquency of valves. There's too much exhaust system downstream of the head and even after the converter to expose the valves to enough cold(er) air for them to cool unevenly. That's what causes valves to warp - uneven cooling - and you usually find that happening on leaking exhaust manifolds or headers. If the manifold gaskets (if used) are sealed, the valves aren't going to warp. How many thousands of drag racers are out there with nothing more than a header downstream of the head, and those valves don't warp.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
well after reading up a bit more and from reading what you guys had to say. I took my exhaust back off. Guess i loved the sound to much. Oh well one day i'll have a "real" exhaust. but that'll come after lowering springs.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone have the exact O.D. of the OEM muffler pipe?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NJ Drive
Does anyone have the exact O.D. of the OEM muffler pipe?
Going in to the muffler, or going out? The outlet is close to 1.75", and the inlet side is like 1.667" or so. I measured those points a while back and can go check them if you need super precise numbers (I used a caliper).

Clair

Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 PM
So I hope y'all realize that you have less torque without a muffler.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone have any back-to-back dyno output to confirm that there's less TQ without the muffler? I tend to think that's basically an old wive's tale that MAY have had some truth back in the carbureted days. If a car was perfectly tuned with a restrictive exhaust back then, uncorking things would help the engine breathe, so the mix went lean with the unchanged carb setup. That WOULD lose torque. We (and virtually any other car with an injected engine) don't have that problem.

If an engine can be adjusted to take advantage of the improved flow, it won't lose power at all. Anything that helps get air in and out of the engine will make more power as long as the fuel & spark is adjusted properly.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HEMI-Fit
Going in to the muffler, or going out? The outlet is close to 1.75", and the inlet side is like 1.667" or so. I measured those points a while back and can go check them if you need super precise numbers (I used a caliper).

Clair
Thanks, that'll do!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 AM
ask mugenmojo, hes runnin without a muffler. sound fine, quite at speed, only loud when he gets on it, prob above 3800 rpm and up . sounds better than these silly cheap ricer fart cans on sum cars.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
sorry im pretty new to this .. but is there a thread or can some ppl post some pics up on how to remove the muffler?

Old 02-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned
Jeeze how easy can it be. Take out two bolts pull muffler off slide on brackets done total time 5 minutes.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Just get under and you'll see - you need a 12mm spanner, and you then twist the muffler brackets out of the rubber holders.

If you can insert an ignition key and turn it, you can remove the muffler; that's how easy it is.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
ok nice upon posting my last post my friend said that removing the muffler can cause serious consequences ... like emission detectors in california can give me tickets ..... is it true wats the negatives that will result from removing it guys :T ?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:52 PM
I took mine off just to see what all the hype was about....not bad at all!!! If you think about it, the mod should give around the same gains as a axle-back....maybe even more due to less restrictions. No way to tell until someone steps up and dynos.

As far as burning valves or warping valves, if that was a side effect of a more free flowing exhaust every single person with an upgraded exhaust would be replacing their engine...funny though, I have never known that to happen....and if it did, don't you think there would be tons of class action lawsuits? Myth busted!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1990hondahf
I took mine off just to see what all the hype was about....not bad at all!!! If you think about it, the mod should give around the same gains as a axle-back....maybe even more due to less restrictions. No way to tell until someone steps up and dynos.

As far as burning valves or warping valves, if that was a side effect of a more free flowing exhaust every single person with an upgraded exhaust would be replacing their engine...funny though, I have never known that to happen....and if it did, don't you think there would be tons of class action lawsuits? Myth busted!
haha all your ideas make sense regarding the exhaust and valves issue. I'd have to say its the myth is also busted. Drove around 3000 miles without it. not issues so far but my inner ricer side wanted to have a can showing so i ended up getting the aspec axleback. gotta say, pretty much the same sound, you can just see where its coming from now.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Just read this thread and walked outside, undid two bolts and drove off. Sounds great. not really loud by any means. very quiet at idle. Nice low tone at half throttle. no fumes. However, i did go offroading in a friends old hoopie suburban w/ an exhaust leak in the cab and actually fell asleep. not fun. And for all the haters in this thread, Can't knock it til you try it. nuff said

Quick Reply: anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??