Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:25 PM
I did not intentionally change the topic. I was just continuing the discution. Sorry if it came off that way.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:48 PM
in the end if your happy with it thats all that matters.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wantboost
in the end if your happy with it thats all that matters.
I totally agree.

As for the ricer comment, if you go to car shows and want to do that, or even if you dont thats your thing. I just think that stuff is the real definition of a ricer, to me anyway...

Old 06-26-2006, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up I did it

listen guys, I did it and it sounds cool. It is not SO LOUD AS I EXPECTED TO BE, yet you can hear it from inside the car. It absolutey do not sound like some civics I have heard ( like a mosquito inside a ludspeaker) it really soud deep and serious. I took it to the custom muffler shop, and they took it out just to hear it and decide, and it sounds great!!. They bulid me a bolt on pipe with a magnaflow oval tip (not too big , maybe just like the one that the scion Xa has) and I took the factry one with me.

As for the performance gains, I really dont know, may be zero, but the stock muffler seems restrictive, and weights too much so I ended with my Fit sounding really cool, plus weighting less. For me it is a win win situation (perhaps until my wife find out!!!! ) and I spend 90 dolars.

maybe the people who are writing hate post should try it first.........

Last edited by carlosalicea; 06-26-2006 at 03:08 PM. Reason: to put a title
Old 06-26-2006, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Carlosalicea , and pics of your pipe and tip? Sound clips?

Old 06-26-2006, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Talking gettiafit...picture, and mpeg clip

Originally Posted by gettinafit
Carlosalicea , and pics of your pipe and tip? Sound clips?
I will try, first I don't know how, but then Ill need some friend to hold my cybershot while I accelerate the fit (definitively not my wife) but Ill do it and let you know. Maybe tomorrow, and if you know how to post the pictures and the clip, please tell me, but belive me it sounds cool. or maybe Ican sed it to your e-mail. PM me if interested.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:34 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
I just don't want to get pulled over without a muffler. Not worth it.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Cool pokems23

Originally Posted by pokems23
I just don't want to get pulled over without a muffler. Not worth it.

That is why I had a cutom pipe made, anyway the srt-4 for example, does not ave any muffler and, I belive that the laws restrict the db that your car have at certain rpm, and at certain distance. Somebody show some light here cause I don't know your partcular state laws.

Having the muffler out, do not go against any law and I can even go and inspect the car because it still have the stock exhaust system ( has the resonator and catalytic) so it dont hurt the enviroment more than the stock, but anyway, you dont have to do anything that you don't want, I am just telling that if you buy a 300-600 aftermarket muffler it will sond as mine or louder. It is your money, but you can check it at your house for free, cause it is just 2 bolts.

Last edited by carlosalicea; 06-26-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
gettinafit picture

ne of the pictures that I just took. Sorry but it is too dark.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:35 PM
I did it too!

Pulled off the muffler took about 5 mins with a 9mm socket. Drove around town and lots of fun with the sport shifting. I was a little concerned about fumes (carbon monoxide) getting into the car at stop lights so after my little fling I put the muffler back on. It does sound good, you notice it as soon as you start it up. Reminded me of little Audi Fox I had some years, lots of fun. Now I'm thinking of a straight pipe, maybe someone will make one with a nice tip and all us "open porters" can get a group buy..

Old 07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Won't running the car w/out the muffler on it hurt the engine because of the back pressure created by the muffler?

Old 07-12-2006, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fuzzyiguana
Won't running the car w/out the muffler on it hurt the engine because of the back pressure created by the muffler?
You're telling that the backpressure created by the muffler is nescesary?

As long as I know ( and damm I am wrong more than I'd like) taking out some back pressure is good for prformance since it allow the engine to breath better. i do Know that there must be some back pressure in order to work ( I am not a engineer) but by taking out the stock muffler and puting a strait pipe, is the same as buying a straight trough aftermarket muffler, only less expensive. What you don't want to do is change the entire exhaust system for a too wide ( 2.5" up) one cause then you will have problems with the loss of back pressure. Remember... ALL EXTREMES ARE BAD!!!!

Last edited by carlosalicea; 07-12-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Hey man i didn't check this post for a bit, Thanks for the pics!

Looks good, Can't even tell that there is no muffler!

How's it sound with that pipe? Any difference!

Old 07-12-2006, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gettinafit
Hey man i didn't check this post for a bit, Thanks for the pics!

Looks good, Can't even tell that there is no muffler!

How's it sound with that pipe? Any difference!
I belive you're talking about me... Yes, you dont realize it has no muffler until you look under the car, and the soud is great...mean and serious....and if I ever want a sound rest, I can put the stock muffler back in a bliss, or can put a small resonator in the straight part of the pipe ( the custom shop will do it in no time)

Old 07-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by carlosalicea

ne of the pictures that I just took. Sorry but it is too dark.
http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc016728uy.jpg

whats the size of the piping you got and it seems like 2 pipe welded into 1.did you get dyno on it yet and i really looks great

Old 07-31-2006, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bsphung117
whats the size of the piping you got and it seems like 2 pipe welded into 1.did you get dyno on it yet and i really looks great
It is a 2'' pipe and sorry , no dyno. here this is really difficult to do unlike you guys in the states that have more to choose from... here are limited and way expensive, so anyway any of you with access to a dyno could just take out the 2 bolts an try it out!!! and please let me know. besides, I am all day at the office, and have no time to even look and find a dyno here in Puerto Rico.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:25 PM
I wonder what it would sound like with some old school straight through glass pack, like a Cherry Bomb or a Purple Hornies?

Old 09-14-2006, 06:40 PM
the flange from the muffler.....isnt that one very very simialr to older civics/del sols/integras where the axle section is? if so i got 3 flanges and might make a custom pipe with tip to make sure heat/gases exit the rear.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:50 PM
I wonder if we could leave the stock system intact and make a whole new setup starting with an aftermarket header, a hi-flow or no cat depending where you live and a resonator with the strate pipe from the axel? all 2.25in would that be cool?

Old 09-15-2006, 04:56 AM
my understanding is that cats these days aren't the bottleneck in the system, the muffler is. So deleting the cat won't net any real gains unless you are running forced induction. But I've been wrong before.

After teh reviewing the pics again, I would almost think a straight pipe to teh rear of the car would be necessary...I mean, if you just unbolted the muffler at the flange wouldn't that allow the end of the B-pipe to flop up and down?

Quick Reply: anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler??