Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Independent Fog Light (First Post has answer!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Thanks for all the reply! and of cause special thanks to j5ive, leonine, and all those who have make this possible.

I've got it going in about 30mins. Since i don't need the fog in high beam (use it less then 5% of time), i didn't do the fusebox mod. I actually brought those connecter that leonie used, so that I can put it back, but due to my limited skill in wiring, I ended up just cross the wires together and tape them together with electrical tape. I also used the "add-a-fuse" thing, and have it plugged into an empty spot for now. It works wonderfully. Since this will be my DRL, I'm thinking of moving the fuse to either the radio spot, or to the DRL spot, so i don't have to turn it off manually everytime i exit my car (how lazy!).

Word of advise: DON'T REMOVE THOSE 3 SCREWS UNDER THE BOTTOM HALF OF THE COVER!!! You don't need to remove them to remove the upper part of your cover. Although removing it will help you plug/unplug the harness, it's very hard to screw it back.

Again, thank you very much.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
hey R.K., if you plug it into 24 then it will turn off when you turn off the car and turn on when the cars on, granted your fog switch is on position. Don't have to put it in the radio spot.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by aznguyen316
hey R.K., if you plug it into 24 then it will turn off when you turn off the car and turn on when the cars on, granted your fog switch is on position. Don't have to put it in the radio spot.
thanks for the advise. I've used the slot where it controls the rear wiper (forgot the spot number). So once I started my car, the light will go on, and when i switch off the ignition, it goes off.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
GREAT info guys. I was about halfway through this thread and starting to get nervous that no one had figured it out yet lol. I'll be doing this tonight for sure.

I did this to my Ford Ranger and all I needed to do was pop the hood, remove a relay from the underhood fuse box, break off a pin and I was done. It took me longer to lift the hood lol.

Again, thanks for the info. I've been trying to figure out how to do this for awhile. I knoew it could be done.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
will this mod horribly void the warranty....or is that along the lines of the "hush hush" issue? lol

Old 07-08-2007, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by j5ive
Just added this how-to to my blog. I hope you don't mind Leonine, but I borrowed one of your result pictures. Thanks again man for testing out my suggestion.
i cant tell which red/wht wire to cut.there are a couple of red/wht combinations down there.do u have pics of which one to cut?where did u ground it?THANKS

Old 07-08-2007, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Cool I posted this last year - fixed, works

I did this on my car last June and 2 friends' cars and it works like a charm. Fogs work COMPLETELY independent of the headlights/park lamps and only work with the key in the IGNITION position. The fog switch works to turn them/on off. The mod also describes how to rewire the low beams so they work in unison with the high beams. LOTSA LIGHT!

-------------------------------------

Originally Posted by alarmgui
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor Fitfreak.net take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!
---------------------------------------

Head light switch is low current on the park lamps and HL relay triggers but is full current on the dimmer side. (-) trig on the HL wire turns on the relay under the hood feeding 2 20A fuses then it feeds the common on the bulbs. Then the low and high beam wires go back to the switch to get a ground signal so they will light up. I cut the Red/White and grounded the car side so the Lo beams ALWAYs have a ground and stay on when using Hi beams. This comes out to around 120watts or 10-12 amps. No prob for the 20A fuses.

The fog lights where more troublesome and in retrospect I would just use a relay or DRL module. The Blu/Yel is in a large 3 pin heavy gauge harness left of fuse box about even with door harness. Prob have to cut it and 5wire it since when the Fog light indicator was on, the stupid cluster interpreted that as the parking lights ALSO being on and dimmed... no other dash lamps or radio dimmed..just cluster..go figure.

If you wanna do it, cut the red/yel at the HL switch, cap of car side and ground switch side. Then on right side of fuse box are 3 relays on a pod(pops off with a pick tool). One with blu/yel on back is the fog light relay. Cut the red blue off (cap off the car side) and jump the relay side(lo current so no overloading issues) to the Blk/Org on the relay next to it(rear Defroster). It only has power when the key is in the RUN position and drops during crank. THEN...pop the cluster bezel loose and find the 3 plugs on the top of the cluster - right one has the Blu/yel in it close to center..just cut it and tape the ends. You loose the light but the switch is pretty obvious anyway. The fog light switch then also doubles as the DRL override switch.

Like I said...use a DRL module

Scott

Old 07-13-2007, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
done, works perfect. looks great.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
i am usually ok doing these kind of mods but i cant seem to do the last part to have highs and fogs on together.any help is appreciated!i cut the red/wht wire,grounded it(well i hope)so now they both go on but only when the ingnition isn't on.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
wow what alot of work you guys did for ;usTHANKS!!!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
The yellow fogs im running look really sharp as daytime running lights.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
High Beam mod pics

here's a few pics of how to mod the wiring to have your fogs work with the high-beams.

Below is a pic of the bottom right of the fuse box inside the car. The relay above the empty slot is for the fogs.

Next is a shot from behind. Cut the red/wht wire. Cap off the car side and run a length of wire to the portion coming out of the relay.

Finally, ground the wire and your done.

Hope that helps for those having any difficulties.

Peace.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
your the shit!thanks man, i will do this now

Old 08-07-2007, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
fog light???

i know there is already a post but that thing is huge... and i read diffent ways of modding you fogs to run by them self... i wanted to know the way so i can control the fogs when ever i want (even with high beams) and have the light in the gauge cluster still come one ... is it possiable???

Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 PM
damn ima want to have a group independent fog mod
ahhaha cuz i dont think i could do all this myself
=[

Old 08-19-2007, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
I did this mod on my fit and it worked, minus the high beam indicator. But with the instrument panel lit bright blue it sort of blends in with the rest of the dash so it don't bother me. I have the the yellow vinyl tint on the fogs and its a pretty cool mod.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Has anyone tried doing this mod but hooking it into fuse slot #22. I want the fogs to go on when my DRL are on.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
What gauge Wire are you guys using??

Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
16 gauge wire

Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Smile Uhhh

Does anyone have something easier to follow. These instructions are greek to me. Something with arrows pointing to spots to cut n rewire. Not to big in the electrical area.

Thanks

GD3blaze07'

Quick Reply: Independent Fog Light (First Post has answer!)