Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Independent Fog Light (First Post has answer!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
It pays for itself quickly. I have one for each car I've ever owned.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Very nice. I did this project today and it works good. But has anyone found a way to make it so the High Beam Light doesn't stay on, short of cutting the wire for the indicator that is ?

Old 09-24-2006, 01:29 AM
Retired Moderator
Quick question, do you think using a Vampire Clip would cause the fuse to blow? If you can use a vampire clip, then you can connect it up to the empty live location i.e. location 26 as in the write up and still be connected to the stock wire. Would this short the lights since both wires are live when the headlights are turned off? And would this solve the highbeam light problem? I have no idea, I don't know anything about electrical stuff :P

Old 09-24-2006, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
I was wondering the same thing but didn't try it for exactly that reason. Need to do something about the high beam indicator though since it stays on even when the car is off and has been setting a while. It seems to only go off when using the low beams.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Since I'm taking my car in for its first service tomorrow I didn't want the high beam indicator to be on and for them to start digging around which would raise some questions so after looking thru the service manual here is how I decided to deal with the indicator light.

The manual states that it is a LED light so I just took out the instrument cluster opened it up and put a small piece of black electrical tape over the indicator light. It's barely even noticable and since it's LED I don't have to worry about it getting too hot and causing damage or draining the battery.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Retired Moderator
lol that works too...not too keen on taking apart my instrument cluster, so I might just live with the high beam light...either way it's no big deal for me since I didn't get the high beam HID headlights so it's of no use to me anyways haha.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor Fitfreak.net take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Mine is a Canadian Fit, doesn't know if it makes a difference. Also, i also have the DRL disconnected (HID), duno if that will make the high beam indictator go away too... (fuse 8 and 18, i think US fits doesn't have them anywayz)

1. taking dashboard under cover, kicker panel & fuse panel out (doh!!!) as per 4dr4life's thread (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...0&postcount=48)

2. Cut the red/yellow wire at the top left hand corner in the 20pin connector and electrical tape the wire that is goin in to the connector originally. (i hope i am making sense here)

3. Then find yourself an extra wire and connect the other end of the red/yellow wire (the one that is coming out from the connector)

(i am using 4dr4life's pic, cuz mine is not that clear and i am too lazy to go and take the pic again, hope 4dr4life won't mind. Just trying to help out some fellow fitfreaks here. )

4. Take your extended wire, and find yourself a unused terminal in the fuse box, i used fuse #19. plug it in with a fork terminal

Then boom:

Don't need to ground it. It will work.

Also, do not disconnect the fog light fuse (fuse 21 i believe), otherwise it won't work.

Last edited by honda_dna; 09-24-2006 at 05:25 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-24-2006, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
Smile So do I understand you right ?

Originally Posted by b17gsr
Got my service manual today. If you wire the red/yel wire to a ignition swiched source like 4dr4life! did in this post and ground the red/white wire on the fog light relay, you will have complete control over the fog lights.
So there was no need to ground the red/white wire on the fog light relay and that doing so is what makes the high beam indicator light stay on ?

I'll hook that wire back together if that's the case.

BTW I LIKE THE PROPELLER

Last edited by 2hot6ft2; 09-24-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
So there was no need to ground the red/white wire on the fog light relay and that doing so is what makes the high beam indicator light stay on ?

I'll hook that wire back together if that's the case.
I didn't even touch the red/white wire. Hope that helps

Thanks for the comment on the propeller!!! and it actually spins too when the car is moving!!!

Last edited by honda_dna; 09-24-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by honda_dna
I didn't even touch the red/white wire. Hope that helps
Good deal I'll be hooking the red/white wire back up. Hope it works the same on the US model and since we don't have DRL's anyway maybe it will work the same. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
Good deal I'll be hooking the red/white wire back up. Hope it works the same on the US model and since we don't have DRL's anyway maybe it will work the same. Thanks for the info.
no problem, good luck on it.

let me know if it works for u too

Old 09-24-2006, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down No such luck

no problem, good luck on it.

let me know if it works for u too
Ok, pulled the instrument cluster and took the tape off so I could see if it worked or not, reconnected the red/white wire at the fog light relay and the indicator light was still on. Took me a while to get enough wire to hook it back up. Seemed like it took about 30 minutes just to do that.

Besides I fed the dog, watered the fish and took the laundry out. Not to mention gathering the tools and lights then putting it all back away, and back together. Man that's uncomfortable working under there.

So I'm back to where I was the indicator light is taped over since it stays on and the only time it turns off is when using the low beams. But al least the fog lights work independently now.

I'm getting way too good at taking this vehicle apart.

I noticed the Canadian version has several differences in the service manual and since you said you pulled the DRL fuse that is probably why yours works without lighting the indicator.

Thanks for trying.

If anyone with the U.S. model figures out a way to fix this plz post it.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Retired Moderator
so honda_dna, just want to make sure, once I cut the red/yellow wire, I can just tape up the end of the loose wire. I don't need to connect it or ground it to anything right? Then I just get a wire and connect the wire coming out of the 20pin connector and connect the other end to fuse location #19. Is that it? Or am I missing something? I wanna do this ASAP Oh yeah, and what gauge wire did you use?

Last edited by Illusive; 09-24-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
yes, tape up the loose end, don't need to ground it. and yes, just connect the wire coming out of the connector to fuse 19.

i am using a 14 gauge.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
So by doing so... the DRL/highbeam light doesn't light up during the day?

Old 09-25-2006, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
for me no

Old 09-25-2006, 11:36 AM
When I read the service manual there was another relay after the fog light relay that disabled the ground path when the highbeams were on, causing the fog lights to turn off, but the indicator light in the dash would stay on.

honda_dna, can you confirm that the fog lights work with the high beams on?

Old 09-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Retired Moderator
yes, tape up the loose end, don't need to ground it. and yes, just connect the wire coming out of the connector to fuse 19.

i am using a 14 gauge.
Thanks! I'll be giving this a shot on Wednesday

Old 09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by b17gsr
When I read the service manual there was another relay after the fog light relay that disabled the ground path when the highbeams were on, causing the fog lights to turn off, but the indicator light in the dash would stay on.

honda_dna, can you confirm that the fog lights work with the high beams on?
i have no high beam since i am using HID

Old 09-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Doesn't matter, flick to high beams and see if the fog lights turn off (don't trust the light in the dash).

Quick Reply: Independent Fog Light (First Post has answer!)