Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Independent Fog Light (First Post has answer!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
what i should have said is anyone in the US done this and fixed the high beam light.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Could someone figure out how to use a relay instead?

Old 12-28-2006, 02:57 AM
Just got it done, working great!

A buddy of mine installed an autostart in my US Fit and while he was doing that, he spent about 5 minutes figuring out what needed to be done to wire the fog lites to work on both high and low beam. This is what he had to do:

He first went under the dash and located the relay for the fog lights by feeling the relays click as I turned the fog lights on and off. Then he cut the red/white going to the relay and used a new relay to throw a ground to activate it using the red/black parking light wire.

He could have tapped into a different trigger wire so that the fog lights would work any time the car was powered on, but I just wanted them to work in high or low beam operation.

He will register later to go into more detail about what you need to do. Oh, and the high beam indicator light works as normal! No weird problems at all!

The whole mod took about 15 minutes total, without him even looking at a wiring diagram!

Old 12-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Fog Lights w/ Low & High Beams

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET endorse, recommend, encourage nor take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Ok, first off you'll need to locate the relay for the lights. If you're looking straight at the fusebox/ relays, it's the farthest towards the right. You should be able to tug a little excess of the wiring from behind. you'll see a Red/White I believe it's a 16 gauge wire, cut the wire leaving enough to be be able to wire in on the side going towards the relay(that's the low beam (-)trigger). Next step is to wire up a relay to throw a ground there. I used the positive parking light wire to trigger my relay( fuse box, 14 pin plug, pin 5), that would go to either side of the coil of the relay 85 or 86. The other side of the coil goes to ground. That leaves 87 which goes to ground also, 87A which is unused & 30 which goes to the Red/White that was cut towards the factory relay. Now, you'll have your foglights with both Low/High Beams, using the factory switch. To make sure that you have the right relay pull it out & the foglights will not work. Cheers

BTW I hope everything is working out on your Fit brdss.

Last edited by claymore; 12-30-2006 at 01:45 AM. Reason: added disclaimer
Old 01-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by b17gsr
It's just a question of rewiring the switch. I've done it in many Integras over the years. I wire them to work with the parking lights. On the 90-93 Integras, it takes about 5-10 minutes to rewire it.
werd. took me about 20 min to do on my 92 gs-r. i really would like to have this done on my fit, just like the new civics have it as an option.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Squids
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET endorse, recommend, encourage nor take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Ok, first off you'll need to locate the relay for the lights. If you're looking straight at the fusebox/ relays, it's the farthest towards the right. You should be able to tug a little excess of the wiring from behind. you'll see a Red/White I believe it's a 16 gauge wire, cut the wire leaving enough to be be able to wire in on the side going towards the relay(that's the low beam (-)trigger). Next step is to wire up a relay to throw a ground there. I used the positive parking light wire to trigger my relay( fuse box, 14 pin plug, pin 5), that would go to either side of the coil of the relay 85 or 86. The other side of the coil goes to ground. That leaves 87 which goes to ground also, 87A which is unused & 30 which goes to the Red/White that was cut towards the factory relay. Now, you'll have your foglights with both Low/High Beams, using the factory switch. To make sure that you have the right relay pull it out & the foglights will not work. Cheers

BTW I hope everything is working out on your Fit brdss.
Using your example above...

Do the fogs come on with just the parking lights? Where should i splice into for the fogs to be on under all circumstances. No lights, parking, low, and high. Basically as long as the car is on the foglight switch turns them on or off regardless of the headlights.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by b17gsr
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor Fitfreak.net take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Here's what I did on my Canadian Fit Sport last night. I removed the #8 fuse for the DRL, added a ground to the red/white wire at the fog light relay and that was it. It's held in with the relay, zero wiring modifications.

Now when I turn on my highbeams, the low beams and fog lights stay on, and damn is it bright! If I want to revert back to stock, no one will ever know I did anything!
Please expand it a little bit for me: So you remove #8 fuse to disable DSL (which is already done). Then, you find a piece of spare wire to go between where the red/white meets the socket and a ground, which is basically an empty fuse slot. Is my understanding correct?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by kb8thekid
werd. took me about 20 min to do on my 92 gs-r. i really would like to have this done on my fit, just like the new civics have it as an option.
The way I did it just controls 1 side of the coil on the Relay. As I did this after installing the remote start, this way will only allow the lights to come on during the headlights being on( either Hi or Low Beam). Do you want to really be able to have the lights on without the headlights? If so, I'll need to have another roll into the shop & see the setup again. I'll only post a way that will/should not pop any codes or fry the BCM. Cheers

Old 01-05-2007, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
yes i want complete control over the fogs using the existing switch but indepedent from the headlights. Any help is mucho appreciato!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks squid for posting!

I have to say that having the fogs wired to work with both the high beams and the normal low beams makes for a GREAT improvement! After adjusting the headlights up from the factory position so that I can see more than 15 feet in front of the car, I found that driving with the high beams left a large dark area closer to the car. The ability to use the fog lights while using the high beams has solved this problem nicely!

Thanks again squid! The remote start is working well, too!

Old 01-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by leonine
yes i want complete control over the fogs using the existing switch but indepedent from the headlights. Any help is mucho appreciato!

I got the lights to work right with Hi & Low beams. Next fit that rolls in the shop, I'll be able to figure that out. I just need to see it in front of me. I'll take a look at some schematics in the mean time. Cheers

BTW, glad to hear that brdss.

Last edited by Squids; 01-05-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:52 AM
Post removed by myself due to error I found later. please refer to my new post.

What I got right in this post:
  • Headlight circuits are switch-grounded on the fit
  • Fog relay coil grounds at low beam only, cutting out when high beam is activated
  • Fog relay coil grounded via DRL circuit in CDN spec, thus pulling DRL fuse disabled high-beam indicator from previous mod methods
  • Splicing into the red/yellow wire at the fuse box harness caused the high-beam indicator to come on

What I got wrong in this post:
  • Red/Yellow wire is not ignition switched, but only gets power when headlight switch is turned on two clicks
  • My methods for this mod, since it assumed the above

Last edited by j5ive; 01-16-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the long and detailed instructions, j5ive! It makes so much more sense now.

The only question I have now is that where do I ground that Red/White wire? I heard people just clip it to the metal support beside it. But where can I find the actual electrical ground? Like the ground for the low beams?

Old 01-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by LiL Wee FIT
Thanks for the long and detailed instructions, j5ive! It makes so much more sense now.

The only question I have now is that where do I ground that Red/White wire? I heard people just clip it to the metal support beside it. But where can I find the actual electrical ground? Like the ground for the low beams?
The Red/White wire is the Low Beam trigger(from the switch) for the relay, it turns to ground with the Low Beams & loses the ground in High.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xplicitnoize
Here's a solution if everything is wired like it shows in the online shop manual.... at your fog lights switch you should have two wires, one blue/red and a red/black wire. If you cut the red/black wire, take the switch side red/black wire and connect it to the black/yellow wire of the ignition switch, then you should have fog ligths whenever the ignition switch is on.
If anything is not the same as i describe it, YOU SHOULD NOT PERFORM ANY ALTERATIONS WITHOUT KNOWING EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

When i get my fit (suppose to be this week) i'll confirm everything.

Have fun
sounds pretty simple. When you get it let me know.

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
jfive i read your earlier detailed post and took a look at my helms manual. Makes perfect sense. I'm gonna try it as soon as i can and report.

THANKS!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
which side of the red/wht wire do i ground after i cut it?

Edit: jfive both methods you stated will essentially make the fog light switch inoperable correct. Either they will come on and stay on anytime the car is on or in any position when you turn on the lights. The switch will no longer control it. I guess that is as close as i can get. pretty easy. I wish i could do this and still maintain the use of the switch itself.

Last edited by leonine; 01-08-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:23 PM
ground from the relay side.

Strange that it's lighting up automatically. Can you double check to make sure the wire you connected to the red/white coming out of the relay is not touching or able to arc to anything else.

According to the diagram, the red/white is strictly the ground for the fog relay coil. the blue/red is the trigger going to the other side of the coil, which does not get current unless the fog switch is turned on. However, I don't know how close the red/white and blue/red wires are, but if your new ground wire is touching the blue/red wire as well as the red/white wire, then the fogs would be triggered on automatically because your the ignition (or parking lights in method 2) current would also be going through this new wire when turned on. And if this wire is also touching the trigger wire/contact for the fog relay (blue/red), then that current would activate the coil and complete the circuit in the fog relay.

b17gsr basically did a quick test version of my suggested method #1, and squids did a more complex, but theoretically the same idea as my method #2. Neither has reported that their fog switch has lost operation (doesn't make sense according to the diagrams in the Helm manual either). Also the different times your fogs turn on depending on grounding method employed suggests to me that it is highly possible your new ground wire is making contact with the trigger of the fog relay.

Please check it again and let us know. Also, b17gsr or squids, did you encounter any fog switch issues with your cars?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
so i finally got around to trying it this morning. I pulled the fog light relay to make sure i had the right one. I cut the red/wht wire and grounded from the relay side. guess what...the damn fogs work EXACTLY the same as they did before

Old 01-12-2007, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Let me rephrase my last post. Cutting the red/wht wire at the fog light relay and grounding from the relay side will give you fog lights with low AND high beams! The high beam indicator does NOT come on.

Not what i was hoping for but i guess it is a start. Anyone figure out how to have the fogs on all the time or at least with the parking lights please let me know.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Independent Fog Light (First Post has answer!)