Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Independent Fog Light (First Post has answer!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
For the people that have done this mod...

Were you guys able to run high beams AND fogs at the same time?

Old 10-14-2006, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LiL Wee FIT
For the people that have done this mod...

Were you guys able to run high beams AND fogs at the same time?
Yes. My foglights are completely independent now. They will work with the car and everything off, running lights (park lights), low beams, high beams. Any time I turn the switch they work.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Is there a single post somewhere that sums up the entire mod? There are a number of false starts in solving issues in this thread.

JonasM

Old 10-14-2006, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Wink

This is the thread for it and it is all pretty well summed up on page #5 post #96. Here it is.

Originally Posted by b17gsr
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor Fitfreak.net take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Got my service manual today. If you wire the red/yel wire to a ignition swiched source like 4dr4life! did in this post and ground the red/white wire on the fog light relay, you will have complete control over the fog lights.
If you start at that post the rest is just a matter of differences between the U.S. and Canadian models.

The only issue that has not been resolved is the high beam indicator stays on but since it's LED I just put a small piece of electrical tape over it and forgot about it. LED wont drain your battery enough to be a problem and it wont get hot so that's not a concern.

The Canadian models were able to stop the high beam indicator from comming on at all by disconnecting their DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) which the U.S. models don't have anyway.

The foglight relay is the one on the very far right of the fuse box. You can stick something in between it and the one next to it to release it and pull it out to get to the wires behind it. I used my test light probe since it was handy at the time.

It's all here you just missed it.

Last edited by 2hot6ft2; 10-14-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
why do we need to take off the fog light relay again? i've got the CND model with HID's so do i even need to do this step?

Old 11-20-2006, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
why do we need to take off the fog light relay again? i've got the CND model with HID's so do i even need to do this step?
In short NO, you shouldn't have to do that step.

Long answer.
The only reson to remove the fog light relay was to get to the wires behind it since the wires are very short. To cut the ground wire and run it straight to ground.

Since you're talking about a Canadian model you may want to check this post by honda dna. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/report.php?p=92093 he says it's not needed on the CAN model. Check the posts after that one and you'll see he answered your question when I asked.

On the US model if you don't run it to ground the fog lights wont work.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone figure out how to not have the high-beam indicator on?

Old 11-21-2006, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wyy183
Has anyone figure out how to not have the high-beam indicator on?
If they have they haven't shared the info.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JonasM
Is there a single post somewhere that sums up the entire mod? There are a number of false starts in solving issues in this thread.

JonasM
my post from Aug pg 5

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor Fitfreak.net take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Head light switch is low current on the park lamps and HL relay triggers but is full current on the dimmer side. (-) trig on the HL wire turns on the relay under the hood feeding 2 20A fuses then it feeds the common on the bulbs. Then the low and high beam wires go back to the switch to get a ground signal so they will light up. I cut the Red/White and grounded the car side so the Lo beams ALWAYs have a ground and stay on when using Hi beams. This comes out to around 120watts or 10-12 amps. No prob for the 20A fuses.

The fog lights where more troublesome and in retrospect I would just use a relay or DRL module. The Blu/Yel is in a large 3 pin heavy guage harness left of fuse box about even with door harness. Prob have to cut it and 5wire it since when the Fog light indicator was on, the stupid cluster interpretted that as the parking lights ALSO being on and dimmed... no other dash lamps or radio dimmed..just cluster..go figure.

If you wanna do it, cut the red/yel at the HL switch, cap of car side and ground switch side. Then on right side of fuse box are 3 relays on a pod(pops off with a pick tool). One with blu/yel on back is the fog light relay. Cut the red blue off (cap off the car side) and jump the relay side(lo current so no overloading issues) to the Blk/Org on the relay next to it(rear Defroster). It only has power when the key is in the RUN position and drops during crank. THEN...pop the cluster bezel loose and find the 3 plugs on the top of the cluster - right one has the Blu/yel in it close to center..just cut it and tape the ends. You loose the light but the switch is pretty obvious anyway. The fog light switch then also doubles as the DRL override switch.

Like I said...use a DRL module

Scott

Old 11-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Just a stupid question from someone that has no electrical background:

What happens if you just cut the wire but not attaching it to the fusebox? Since you're attaching it to an "empty" slot, hence no current will run, right? So wouldn't just cutting the wire will have the same effect?

See... i told you it's a stupid question...

Old 11-29-2006, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by R.K.Himura
Just a stupid question from someone that has no electrical background:

What happens if you just cut the wire but not attaching it to the fusebox? Since you're attaching it to an "empty" slot, hence no current will run, right? So wouldn't just cutting the wire will have the same effect?

See... i told you it's a stupid question...
Nothing happens. The empty slot has current. That's where you're going to get power from. Just because it doesn't have a fuse in it doesn't mean it doesn't have current.

It's only stupid if you "really" know the answer already.

Last edited by 2hot6ft2; 11-29-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Ok... then I don't get it: Why Honda would put current in an empty slot in the fuse box?

I'm just trying to think of a way that's easier (and obviously failed ) ... the above procedure is too hard for me... Anyone in GTA that can do it for me? I'll buy him a lot of coffee!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
So how did it work out for you Illusive?

I tried it today, did what Honda_DNA did.. and it didn't come out so well.
My high beam indicator stays on, and won't come off until I turn on my low beams. When I flick on the highbeams, my fog lights still shuts off.

Theres gotta be something missing.... i HATEEEEE that stupid high beam indicator!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net

Here's what I did on my Canadian Fit Sport last night. I removed the #8 fuse for the DRL, added a ground to the red/white wire at the fog light relay and that was it. It's held in with the relay, zero wiring modifications.

Now when I turn on my highbeams, the low beams and fog lights stay on, and damn is it bright! If I want to revert back to stock, no one will ever know I did anything!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
Did your high beam indicator stay on? Or is this only a problem with USDM models. I don't think i have the #8 fuse because i don't have DRL in the US

Old 11-30-2006, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
b17gsr,

Would you please kindly post up pictures / more instructions for the stupid? IE, myself? Ahah!

Old 11-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
As usual, I didn't take any pictures. What I did was so simple. I'll try to snap a few.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! That would be great! Even some more detailed instructions would be wonderful.

Like what do you mean by grouding the red/white wire and where is the foglight relay? (again.. its all for the stupid.)

Old 12-01-2006, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
anyone with a US model do this?

Old 12-01-2006, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, check the posts. The only problem is that the high beam indicator stays on. I covered mine with a small piece of electrical tape.

Quick Reply: Independent Fog Light (First Post has answer!)