General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wailua.Mark
Where do you live and drive? No hills in your area? 51.8 MPG is incredible! My best is 43.6 MPG in my 2011 Honda Fit on hilly Kauai and nothing over 50 MPH.

At what mileage did you have to replace your coil? I'm curious of the reliability of the Fit compared to other Honda's and hope it fallows their history of high reliability.
Elevation 1100 down to 700 or so. Mostly rolling hills and some steep ones in 2 major river valleys nearby.

The mileage is from pulsing in the 80-90% load range and lots of coasting.

2 coilpacks looked to be aftermarket. One was the updated OEM. The one I replaced looked like the original OEM style, but at 135k not sure if it was the original or an OEM replacement that went bad for it's second time.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Virrdog
Elevation 1100 down to 700 or so. Mostly rolling hills and some steep ones in 2 major river valleys nearby.

The mileage is from pulsing in the 80-90% load range and lots of coasting.

2 coilpacks looked to be aftermarket. One was the updated OEM. The one I replaced looked like the original OEM style, but at 135k not sure if it was the original or an OEM replacement that went bad for it's second time.
Thank You for your reply! So it sounds like you bought your Fit used. I just learned of these coil packs about 6 months ago when a friend's Ford Expedition and another friend's Dodge Dakota V8 had to have ALL the coils replaced in both vehicles. I rarely buy after-market anything with engine parts because of the usual lack of quality, especially when it comes to engine electronics/electrical replacement parts. I do most of my own work with fixes and maintenance on my vehicle.

I know a lot about older vehicles, but these newer vehicles proves how out of date my knowledge is! In those 2 friend's vehicles mentioned; there was a coil for EACH spark plug! I thought "damn, that sounds expensive?!" Anyways, I need to buy a Honda Fit shop manual (factory type, not the 3rd party ones) so I can learn more about what's in this little go-kart! I bought the factory shop manual for my 2006 Jeep LJ through ebay for only 18 bucks! Whereas if I bought it through the dealer it would have been about $285!! That's just crazy!!!

Thanks for your time and Aloha, Mark

Old 05-05-2012, 01:04 PM
I just logged 41mpg over my last tank. Live in upstate NY w/mostly highway commute. 92miles roundtrip with many hills. Light footed,60mph.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Just wanted to give a quick update. To date, the best mileage I've gotten was 42 mpg, calculated. Worst was 31 mpg. (Car was brand new, filled with crappy dealership gas, and I was re-learning how to drive a manual again.

My weekly mpg varies wildly, depending on traffic, use of a/c, etc. But usually in the 36-38 mpg range.

I probably could do better. I've noticed that I've been more aggressive with the gas pedal lately, so that might explain why I haven't been able to break the 40 mpg barrier for the longest time. Summer is here and a/c use will undoubtedly cause my mileage to suffer. Das okay. I'd rather cruise in comfort and lose mileage than end up in the hospital with heatstroke. LOL

Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wailua.Mark
My 2011 Fit Sport (with auto trans) gets 42 MPG consistently, but only after about 5,000 miles on the engine. Before that I got about 38 MPG. I do the math with EVERY fill up because the trip computer is off by as much as 1.5 miles per gallon. I drive on Kauai with a light foot and coast to stops if I see one coming up. Our highest legal speed on the island is 50. I hope my mileage gets better! I have 6,650 miles on my Fit as of today. I bought it in April of 2011. I'm happy that I'm getting "hybrid" mileage, and hoping it gets better!! My best mileage has been 43.6 MPG, but that's rare.
Howzit from Texas, bruddah Wailua!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
Drove my Fit 3800miles from MA to FL Keys to Clearwater and back, MPG for the entire trip was 35.8

Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Apparently me and the wife are getting driving technique down for the car. Have had a string of 48 and 49's with plenty of A/C usage. At least that will go down some when I tint the rest of the windows...

Old 07-05-2012, 02:55 AM
First official fill-up on my new 2012 base m/t: 33.22 mpg. That was 3 hours of highway driving with 2 hours of city driving.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
2012 MR M/T Sport first 2700 miles city and highway 34.6, next 205 mile after reset 36.2 miles, 900 miles to Atlanta Ga 3 people, luggage, cruising average 75mph, 33.4 MPG.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Those reporting upper 40's mpg and using any A/C and no hyper milling methods, need to check their results. No way a Fit can do that.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
and no hyper milling methods
So I don't need to double check then...

Before we learned to drive better it was hard to get 40, just like everybody else.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
If you are not filling to the top of the fill tube every time you, aren't getting accurate fuel mileage figures.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Virrdog
So I don't need to double check then...

Before we learned to drive better it was hard to get 40, just like everybody else.
I wouldn't call hypermiling driving better. Initially hypermiling can be fun like a game but after a couple tanks it gets old. I drive for enjoyment and comfort meaning the A/C runs 80-90% of the year here is TX. Also no hypermiling techniques I know for cruising the freeway at 75mph, idling for an hour with A/C on or pulling a 1,000lb trailer. All of that rolls into my Fit's mpg, no cherry picking here.

_

Old 08-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Why is everyone so hostile in here all of sudden?

The guy reporting 59.1 mpg average for the last 6 months says I can't possibly have gotten a few tanks in the high 40's using some A/C. My wife has a perfect drive to her work that includes no highway and slight rolling hills. She has it down to a science on how to coast as much as possible. Most places we go in this area have nice 40'ish mph uncongested backroads we can take. We have been seeing mostly low to mid 40's with some high 40's in there.

And no one tank average is absolutely correct, but the overall average is still accurate tank after tank after tank filling to first click.

When I said driving better, it was short for "driving for better gas mileage". It was not a superiority thing. We never have to pull a trailer and thankfully do not have any horrible traffic in the area that would necessitate idling for an hour. If we did, the mileage would definitely be lower. But I record every tank, not once have I bragged about my car getting better gas mileage like I am better than anyone else.

I casually mention we were happy to pull off some high 40 tanks and people get like this? Yeesh.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Hostile? How do you read that into what I posted? You said you're now driving better and therefore getting higher mpg than others. So you did give off a superiority thing even if you didn't intend to. What I posted showed that others can't get that mpg due to things outside our control and/or comfort level we are content with.

I would love to have a daily comute like you describe. I know my Fit gets super high mpg under certain conditions. I have often thought of taking a long country drive to get a 50mpg tank. I know it could be done under the right conditions. But then I think why bother and don't do it. I'd be wasting gas as that driving would take me nowhere I needed to go and prove nothing for my real world driving conditions.

It's all good here, please don't take offense to or misinterpret internet words. It is very helpful though when you give mpg figures to also include under what conditions they were obtained. Many things fall into play to explain outcome.

_

Old 08-05-2012, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Honda wants to keep their secrets so we have to pay them to find out.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Hostile? How do you read that into what I posted? You said you're now driving better and therefore getting higher mpg than others. So you did give off a superiority thing even if you didn't intend to. What I posted showed that others can't get that mpg due to things outside our control and/or comfort level we are content with.
Yes, hostile. Antagonistic, opposed. I said yay, I'm happy with some high 40's. Other people say you can't do that with A/C, I don't cherry pick my tanks, I use my A/C so my mileage will never be that high... Feels like I can't win for losing.

Am I driving better than the guy getting 59 mpg for over 3 months... or am I driving better than you when pulling your trailer? That's comparing apples to zebras. I was referring to the fact I was getting higher gas mileage than I was before. Not anyone else. I can see why you might think I was trying to imply that, but it's not the case. I don't get the best gas mileage or the worse. I am happy to get decent economy in my high mileage Fit. You seem to have a slight chip on your shoulder about people with pretty high fuel mileage, everyone is not a hypermiler.

And for heaven's sake, we use our A/C whenever we are hot. Just got done with a month in the 90-100 range. Mileage was stuck in the low 40's because of it.

Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
It's all good here, please don't take offense to or misinterpret internet words. It is very helpful though when you give mpg figures to also include under what conditions they were obtained. Many things fall into play to explain outcome.
I'm not angry and try not to start internet fights. I was pointing out it's frustrating to have so many negative comments about my mileage out of ignorance and from some that should know better. This is supposed to be the ECO-Fit sub-forum.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:35 PM
I have a one tank peak of just under 50 mpg and have averaged around 43 mpg for the life of my 2008 Fit.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by JBElliott
I have a one tank peak of just under 50 mpg and have averaged around 43 mpg for the life of my 2008 Fit.
Nice numbers. How hard is it for you to get that kind of mileage? It seems like I have to try too hard for my numbers (which are really similar) in such a light car.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 AM
It's a little hard I suppose, but you be the judge.

I drive my Fit to and from work and that's about it. My commute is around 35 miles and about 30 of that is on the highway. I usually keep my speed between 55 and 60 mph

I do some hypermiling: turning off the car completely when going down some hills. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so there are a lot of hills. Going down particularly steep hills I leave the engine on with the Fit in gear and my foot off the gas. I used to turn off the engine at stop lights, but recently stopped that because the battery has gotten weak enough that starting after stops in the morning is problematic (I've had to push my Fit myself and hop in and pop it into gear to get the engine started a few times), but that just means I need to replace the battery. For me, the stop light effect is one or two mpg for a tank. I keep my tire pressure above the pressure recommended by Honda etc., but not as high as some people here recommend.

I don't use the air conditioner much, but when it's 90F and above I cycle it on and off to keep reasonable cool during my evening commute.

Doing that yields between 40 and 45 mpg pretty routinely. If I have to do more city driving, that can lead to a drop down to 35 to 40 mpg.

My one tank peak mpg was on the set of tires that came with the Fit. After changing to new tires, the peak has been more in the 47 mpg range. The tire change affected the mpg on average by about 2 mpg per tank. I'll be getting a different kind of tire the next time around.

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)