General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:19 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by micven55
I don't want to increase the air pressure of the tires, the ride becomes more harsh and the understeer increases (I like to "hustle" the car).
I call it 'maintaining momentum', all in the name of efficiency, muahahahaha.

Seriously, I find that driving for smoothness and momentum can be darned near as entertaining as tossing the car around.

I ran the stockers at 45psi until they were shot. IMESHO they never rode or handled worth a hoot, not that I would expect them to - they're inexpensive and designed for low rolling resistance, not handling or comfort.

Try 36 psi. The ride quality and handling should not suffer much at all, and you should add ~1-2 MPG. If that level isn't objectionable, try a few more psi. I didn't really notice an increase in tendency for the front end to break away until I was in the 40psi range. Also, I keep more air in the front tires than I do the rears; I've found that the back end will try to come around in wet weather if there is too much air in the rear tires.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by larrymcewin
Absolutely correct! RPMs are neither good, nor bad. THROTTLE POSITION makes all the difference.

You save fuel if you can gently press the pedal in 4th (despite 4000+ RPM) to keep your speed up, opposed to flooring a lugging engine in 5th. On the flip side ... a flat road, upshifting to 5th means less drag = more coasting = less fuel.

Ignore the RPM gauge. Pay closer attention to the throttle pedal.
^^This, in a nut shell^^

Old 01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
In the day of the 55 mile per hour speed limit I went from Shreveport to Washington DC in a 87 Cadillac Fleetwood averaging just under 28 MPG .. I was able to consistently get 55.4 mpg in an 84 VW diesel Rabbit... On roads with very little traffic just barely crack the throttle open to pick up enough momentum to be able to do the same in the next gear and coast in gear when you are approaching a speed zone or a stop sign....

Old 01-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Coyote - I think I'm hearing a Cadillac calling your name.....

Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by johnson@crocker.com
first tank 45.7 second tank 45.2, 44 PSI all tires, never over 55 mph, lightfoot driving - mixed city and highway. No AC, no idling. Base MT 800 miles total now.

44 psi on the tires? Doesn't that make handling a little on the "squirrely" side?

Best mpg I got so far was a little over 38.5 mpg. It varies between fill-ups depending on driving conditions (City, stop and go traffic, A/C on, etc.) My driving is 70/30 hwy/city. Mostly 60 mph hwy, sometimes 65.

How I calculate mpg: Total mileage driven that week divided by total gallons to fill tank.

BTW, that 'Fuel Minder' gauge is more like a guideline. Heck, my worst driving week I had 31.5 mpg, yet the fuel minder said I was getting an "actual" reading of nearly 40mpg freeway/city driving.

I use some, if not all of the 'Hyper-miling' techniques I learned with my previous car. Best I got with that car was 37. And that was with ZERO city driving, no A/C....just to work and back. But then again it was equipped with an automatic, and the engine was never designed to take 10% ethanol gas, (2002 Saturn SL2) so I count myself lucky. Either it's Honda being conservative on their numbers, or I actually learned something useful for a change. LOL

How about you guys? What other hints and tips can you offer us to help us get better mpg's? Enquiring minds wanna know.

p.s. Ummm...lemme amend that. SAFE and LEGAL ways to increase mpg's. *chuckle*

Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by rossmeister
BTW, that 'Fuel Minder' gauge is more like a guideline. Heck, my worst driving week I had 31.5 mpg, yet the fuel minder said I was getting an "actual" reading of nearly 40mpg freeway/city driving.
I don't even need to ask, from your statement above I know your Fit is a 2009. You need to get your software reflashed and then the fuel minder will be relatively accurate. See the "Sticky" thread for TSB's. Print out that TSB and take to your dealer. They should perform the work free of charge even if your warranty has expired. Just be tactful when asking, wouldn't hurt to be paying them for an oil change at the same time to let them know you're a possible return customer.

BTW - has the recall been done on your car also?

Old 01-13-2012, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
I don't even need to ask, from your statement above I know your Fit is a 2009. You need to get your software reflashed and then the fuel minder will be relatively accurate. See the "Sticky" thread for TSB's. Print out that TSB and take to your dealer. They should perform the work free of charge even if your warranty has expired. Just be tactful when asking, wouldn't hurt to be paying them for an oil change at the same time to let them know you're a possible return customer.

BTW - has the recall been done on your car also?

Wassup Silverbullet, and thanks for the feedback. Actually my Fit is a 2012 Base with MT, but I'll check out that thread regarding TSB's. My actual mileage varies so wildly between fill-ups. Last week I got 37 mpg. This week I got 35. Guess I should let the fuel run down a lil bit more next time I fill-up. I still had half a tank. And WAY less city driving. Guess I'd better start walking. I need the exercise anyways. LOL

Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by rossmeister
Wassup Silverbullet, and thanks for the feedback. Actually my Fit is a 2012 Base with MT, but I'll check out that thread regarding TSB's. My actual mileage varies so wildly between fill-ups. Last week I got 37 mpg. This week I got 35. Guess I should let the fuel run down a lil bit more next time I fill-up. I still had half a tank. And WAY less city driving. Guess I'd better start walking. I need the exercise anyways. LOL
Wow thats strange, only early '09's had the fuel minder inaccuracy issue. Actually even my '09 before the TSB fix wasn't even as bad as yours. I would check yours again. You did reset your fuel minder when you filled up? If not it will be a running average since last time it was reset. TSB doesn't apply to your car.

_

Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Wow thats strange, only early '09's had the fuel minder inaccuracy issue. Actually even my '09 before the TSB fix wasn't even as bad as yours. I would check yours again. You did reset your fuel minder when you filled up? If not it will be a running average since last time it was reset. TSB doesn't apply to your car.

_
LOL probably this.

I've checked manually against the fuel minder several times and have come up pretty accurate, at least +/- 1 mpg = good enough for me.

I can't see it being that far off (10 mpg!)

Old 01-14-2012, 05:08 PM
our 2009, which my wife mostly drives like a normal person has gotten a 2 year average of 46 MPG now has 50,000 miles on it. When I do my hypermiling with it I can average 55 mpg per tank. This is with tires at max on sidewall, always at the speed limit , coasting down hills, No AC, shutting engine off at lights , early upshifting , etc. The car would do a lot better if the 5 gear ratio was not so screwy.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by twjohnson
our 2009, which my wife mostly drives like a normal person has gotten a 2 year average of 46 MPG now has 50,000 miles on it. When I do my hypermiling with it I can average 55 mpg per tank. This is with tires at max on sidewall, always at the speed limit , coasting down hills, No AC, shutting engine off at lights , early upshifting , etc. The car would do a lot better if the 5 gear ratio was not so screwy.
While I can believe 55mpg for crazy hypermiling techniques I find 46mpg very hard to believe for any kind of normal driving. Unless this "normal driving" is only long trips, no city, no A/C, no hills, roads with limited stops where you can maintain 45-55mph in 5th gear. Then it's believable but then that is not normal conditions.

_

Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Coyote - I think I'm hearing a Cadillac calling your name.....
Maybe so, but I am looking at Volvos and wouldn't mind having a Golf GTI... On pretty days I can't get convertibles out of my mind.... Another 55 Eldorado Convertible would make me happier than anything in the world but I would never be able to afford one... Just having had one in this lifetime was a blessing.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm getting above the mfg estimates. light foot, no ac 38-40 mpg with 50/50 city/highway. straight highway I think 50mpg is achievable.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by felixmizioznikov
I'm getting above the mfg estimates. light foot, no ac 38-40 mpg with 50/50 city/highway. straight highway I think 50mpg is achievable.
I'd like to see this, please report back your actually mpg after calculating at the pump and over an entire tank. Also state the highway road condition (flat, hilly, mixed) and your mph.

Flat and 55 mph then sure 50 mpg might be possible with no A/C and limited stops. But normal highways and driving 65-70 mph, I think it would be near impossible.

_

Old 01-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Agreed 65-70 would not be possible. I added the car to fully.com and will share the link after my next fill up. Sure feels nice to pay about 32 bucks to fill rather than the near 60 with my
Tdi's 15 gallon tank.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:44 PM
I can see no way 50mpg is an attainable driving mpg on the Fit. Some seem to claim it but I have serious doubts.

If I watch the MPG numbers on the UltraGauge I can see some crazy high instant numbers but these, in no way, represent anything close to a 'driving MPG'.

I've sustained 40MPG+ over time driving my FIT. 38-40 is a solid non-winter average for me. Anything over 40 is purely momentary in the scheme of things, and I've only seen 42 at best and not sustainable.

felix - you're on to some good driving habits and MPG will show good returns. Like I've said many times, it's how and where you drive it. I would suggest setting the tire pressure at 36psi all around as well. My turnpike average seems to have settled on 36MPG more often than not.

K_C_

Old 01-29-2012, 11:36 PM
tomorrow I'm going to fill up so I;ll have my first fuelly.com calculation. my dash is showing 39.2 and thats with 50/50 city highway . I havent taken the car over 3000 rpm and I'm usually in 5th at 40mph. I've checked fuelly and there are other fit drivers that are hovering around 40 mpg with no problems. I'm guessing honda does not want to take the shine away from civic with the eco button and all but the fit is underrated.
I might be getting window tint which means I'll have to use ac for 3 days drying time but after that I'll pump the rubber and try again, maybe take a road trip.

Last edited by felixmizioznikov; 01-29-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by felixmizioznikov
tomorrow I'm going to fill up so I;ll have my first fuelly.com calculation. my dash is showing 39.2 and thats with 50/50 city highway . I havent taken the car over 3000 rpm and I'm usually in 5th at 40mph. I've checked fuelly and there are other fit drivers that are hovering around 40 mpg with no problems. I'm guessing honda does not want to take the shine away from civic with the eco button and all but the fit is underrated.
I might be getting window tint which means I'll have to use ac for 3 days drying time but after that I'll pump the rubber and try again, maybe take a road trip.
Good results felix...

However the Fit EPA mpg is not really underrated. Look at the average Fuelly.com mpg for Fit's and you'll also see plenty in the low 30's.

Driving under 3,000rpm, 5th at 40mph and no A/C are things most people are not willing to sacrifice for economy, myself included. I don't like to waste gas but I also like to drive for enjoyment which means winding the car out occasionally and I always keep my windows up to reduce dust/noise and stay comfortable with the A/C on. I know the A/C drops me an easy 2-3mpg.

_

Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 PM
heres my fuelly data

felix's 2012 fit sport manual transmission (Honda Fit) | Fuelly

the fit read 39.2 but the actual calculation was 37.1. my next tank will be worse cause I'll be driving it a bit harder but then I'll try again.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I can see no way 50mpg is an attainable driving mpg on the Fit. Some seem to claim it but I have serious doubts.

If I watch the MPG numbers on the UltraGauge I can see some crazy high instant numbers but these, in no way, represent anything close to a 'driving MPG'.

I've sustained 40MPG+ over time driving my FIT. 38-40 is a solid non-winter average for me. Anything over 40 is purely momentary in the scheme of things, and I've only seen 42 at best and not sustainable.
You need to try pulse & glide. Me and my wife are getting 40+ in our '07 with snow tires & crappy weather... and we are just now learning the ins and outs of driving the car for mileage. UltraGauge came in a few weeks ago.

I fully expect 50 mpg tanks with the all-seasons back on the car. But that is with pulses and neutral glides (engine running). So far, just driving the car easy nets 34-36 mpg with snow tires, P&G gives us about 50 miles for free every fill-up.

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)