General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:43 AM
Welcome to the freakworld Virrdog - sounds like you've got the mpg technique down, though I'm not a big fan of free wheeling a car out of gear.

I try, and do, find the sweet spot on the accelerator and then try to keep everything even.
Pulse and Glide, if I understand it correcly, would tend to make me queasy and piss of folks trying to figure out wazz-up.

I often do 'lighten up' on the accelerator, but keep it in gear. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...f-control.html

Regarding the UG. I've quit using it to track economy. It's got some neat features for doing so, but I was seeing differences in the MPG numbers [calibrating it] and I've got a pretty good idea how far I can get before filling up. Not saying it's not good at all that, just that I've settled in knowing my FIT's economy and am more interested in keeping an eye on the systems. Those are direct ECU readouts.

When you get your UG check in here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...on-thread.html

Post on back when you hit 50MPG, make me a believer ;-)

K_C_

Old 02-04-2012, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
There was a book written by a guy back in the 60s named John Muir called "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive, step by step procedures for the complete idiot" He used a method of accelerating to 20 or 30 MPH the shifting into neutral and turning off the ignition to coast almost a complete stop before turning the ignition back on and engaging 2nd gear...This was for when you were nearly out of gas and far from a station.. He claimed you could get outrageous fuel mileage that way..That book was worth reading even if you didn't have a VW because of the humor... The complexity of today's cars wouldn't allow some of the makeshift procedures that you could get away with on the old Beetles and buses..

Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Pulse and Glide sounds like a technique to try once or twice as a game to see how high mpg you can achieve. But for daily driving it would be an irritation and dangerous. Coasting in neutral has its dangers (avoidance delay, less traction, reduced handling) and is actually against the law in many places and you can get a citation for it. You're really just asking for road rage to come down on you.

And the net affect of savings mere pennies for putting yourself in potential danger and losing partial enjoyment of driving isn't justified IMO.

_

Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Pulse and Glide sounds like a technique to try once or twice as a game to see how high mpg you can achieve. But for daily driving it would be an irritation and dangerous. Coasting in neutral has its dangers (avoidance delay, less traction, reduced handling) and is actually against the law in many places and you can get a citation for it. You're really just asking for road rage to come down on you.

And the net affect of savings mere pennies for putting yourself in potential danger and losing partial enjoyment of driving isn't justified IMO.

_
I'm not sure what you are envisioning, but I don't hamper other traffic. Just a simple 10 mph range for the pulse and glide still nets much higher mileage. Most people do that sort of range babbling on their phones. Example: most people are driving 50, if I pulse up to 55 I can follow the car in front just fine and as it drops down to 45 the car behind is barely getting closer. Pulse it again, rinse lather repeat. If the guy behind me is getting on my bumper like an idiot (as if I can drive through a car in front of me like a ghost), then I adjust my driving.

And I don't know about pennies, my fuel mileage is approaching 30% more than yours just learning the technique. My wife puts 25k+ miles a year on the car, that's a lot of fuel saved. The gas savings over the last car (26 mpg) is almost making the payment at that sort of distance.

I am not saying everyone should do it, but P&G is how it's possible to get 40, 50, 60+ mpg in a Fit. And no worries, if we are on the same highway; you probably won't notice me in the flow of traffic... or I'll be on a back road saving my thousands of pennies

Old 02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
I'm over 40 miles from any interstate highway so I get to travel on roads with very little traffic so I pretty much am able to drive any way I choose... Where I live there are lots of rolling terrain the allows me to slowly pick up speed toward the end of a down hill and maintain just enough revs to not deprive the engine of oil flow and excessive load on the low end bearings and just enough speed to coast over the crest of the hill and down the opposite side... I let gravity do as much of the work as I can... Imagine being on a bicycle and instead of your legs doing the work it is your engine...

Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by afreespirit
I have been learning to drive the MT and in almost all city driving with plenty of hills. With over 700 miles on odometer am averaging about 29 MPG. I expect it will improve as I become a more skilled shifter.

I also use puregas with no ethanol, and have been practicing launching from hills a lot. I am not too disappointed in my mileage considering.
Just an update 2 1/2 months later...Mileage at about 1950 and all city driving with hills, getting over 31mpg according to dash reading. No particular attention to tire pressures, not much freeway driving but seem to get about 40mpg on freeway.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Just an update 2 1/2 months later...Mileage at about 1950 and all city driving with hills, getting over 31mpg according to dash reading. No particular attention to tire pressures, not much freeway driving but seem to get about 40mpg on freeway.
I've owned my Fit within a week of yours IIRC and have around 1200 on my odometer. My miles are pretty much split equally between hilly city driving and freeway. I've been getting around 28-29mpg with city driving and I've gotten up to 35mpg tops. Been keeping the avg hanging in around 31mpg which I am still very happy with.

I have cut my fuel cost in half from what I was spending on my old 740iL BMW!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GTRPLYR
I've owned my Fit within a week of yours IIRC and have around 1200 on my odometer. My miles are pretty much split equally between hilly city driving and freeway. I've been getting around 28-29mpg with city driving and I've gotten up to 35mpg tops. Been keeping the avg hanging in around 31mpg which I am still very happy with.

I have cut my fuel cost in half from what I was spending on my old 740iL BMW!
That is great you are saving so much on gas now! I too am thankful every time I roll up to the pump with gas over $4 a gal here.

I am very gratified to see my mileage has improved with the car getting more broken in, just as others here have said, and hopefully it will get even better. Can't beat the Fit! Love the MT too.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 PM
That is great you are saving so much on gas now! I too am thankful every time I roll up to the pump with gas over $4 a gal here.

I am very gratified to see my mileage has improved with the car getting more broken in, just as others here have said, and hopefully it will get even better. Can't beat the Fit! Love the MT too.
Yea, my 1st tank avg was 26mpg and I was a little concerned but am now happier as the engine breaks in and I've adjusted my driving habits a bit.

Glad to here the MT has worked out for you!! After a short window of doubt whether I made the right decision with the MT I also have no regret with that choice either. LOVE the Fit! Moving stuff around in it has also been such a pleasure with the hatch and fold up seats!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Mpg

My 2011 Fit Sport (with auto trans) gets 42 MPG consistently, but only after about 5,000 miles on the engine. Before that I got about 38 MPG. I do the math with EVERY fill up because the trip computer is off by as much as 1.5 miles per gallon. I drive on Kauai with a light foot and coast to stops if I see one coming up. Our highest legal speed on the island is 50. I hope my mileage gets better! I have 6,650 miles on my Fit as of today. I bought it in April of 2011. I'm happy that I'm getting "hybrid" mileage, and hoping it gets better!! My best mileage has been 43.6 MPG, but that's rare.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by Wailua.Mark
My 2011 Fit Sport (with auto trans) gets 42 MPG consistently, but only after about 5,000 miles on the engine. Before that I got about 38 MPG. I do the math with EVERY fill up because the trip computer is off by as much as 1.5 miles per gallon. I drive on Kauai with a light foot and coast to stops if I see one coming up. Our highest legal speed on the island is 50. I hope my mileage gets better! I have 6,650 miles on my Fit as of today. I bought it in April of 2011. I'm happy that I'm getting "hybrid" mileage, and hoping it gets better!! My best mileage has been 43.6 MPG, but that's rare.
Jeez, getting 42mpg consistently and also being able to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by GTRPLYR
Jeez, getting 42mpg consistently and also being able to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Well, I use to have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ and it was only getting about 16 MPG! I’ve always owned trucks and 4WD vehicles along with a 2000 Honda Civic EX, but when gas prices shot up to $4.87 2 summers ago – I had to start thinking of making some big changes with what I drive.

I didn’t want to replay that summer of shelling out 100 bucks to fill up my Jeep EVERY week, so I thought about buying another Civic. My first Honda (Civic) was stolen and chopped up when I lived on Oahu 8 years ago. When I looked at the new Civics; I was thinking “geez, this thing is too small!” Then my friend, who also sells Hondas, steered me to the Fit. I wasn’t excited about the looks of it, but I test drove it and it was roomy too, so I took it home with me that day and sold my beloved Jeep! I miss that thing, but NOT the 16 MPG! And I’m kind of liking the looks of my Fit now, too!

That’s why it’s a game for me to see how many miles I can get with this Fit. So far I got 43.6 (my max to date), but I normally get 42 MPG nowadays. Our max speed on this rock is 50 MPH, but most of our roads are at 40 MPH. So with that said; I think that the lack of wind resistance is the big reason for my awesome Fit mileage!! And that along with slow accelerations and coasting to a stop when I see one coming. It’s just a big MPG game for me with my Fit.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by big Fit
just a follow up. I just recorded 33.4 mpg all city/urban driving. does any one know what the likely hood of geting better mpg in the future? I know that some cars of the same make just do much better then others... thanks.

My 2011 Fit Sport (with auto trans) gets 42 MPG consistently, but only after about 5,000 miles on the engine. Before that I got about 38 MPG. I do the math with EVERY fill up because the trip computer is off by as much as 1.5 miles per gallon (+ or -). I drive on Kauai with a light foot and coast to stops if I see one coming up. Our highest legal speed on the island is 50. I hope my mileage gets better! I have 6,650 miles on my Fit as of today. I bought it in April of 2011. I'm happy that I'm getting "hybrid" mileage, and hoping it gets better!! My best mileage has been 43.6 MPG, but that's rare.

Tip: don't change your engine oil till the oil life meter tells you to do so. Honda puts a special additive in the factory oil to help their car's engine break in properly. That's probably, in part, why I'm getting such awesome fuel economy. My (factory) engine oil is now at 10% at 6,650 miles today. Aloha

Last edited by Wailua.Mark; 03-15-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Personally, if you drive the GD3 regularly over 90MPH, your mileage won't be great. Expect 25-30 at best. My experience.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Nemo128
Personally, if you drive the GD3 regularly over 90MPH, your mileage won't be great. Expect 25-30 at best. My experience.
What's a GD3? And 90 MPH here on Kauai would get me a room with Bubba at the big house for quite some time, for sure!! Our highest speed limit on this rock is 50 MPH. That's why my mileage is so outstanding - little wind resistance and moderately hilly.

Last edited by Wailua.Mark; 04-18-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:05 AM
I drive my 11 5spd like its a go-kart and race around quite allot and on my daily 30 mile commute I get about 30 The roads is a mix of highway and city I do about 80 on the highway and about 50 between the lights. When I calm down on the highway at about 70 I have averaged about 36 while my best is 38 going between 60 and 65mph.

I have a big trip to NC soon so and my goal is too break my record.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by bboarder711
I drive my 11 5spd like its a go-kart and race around quite allot and on my daily 30 mile commute I get about 30 The roads is a mix of highway and city I do about 80 on the highway and about 50 between the lights. When I calm down on the highway at about 70 I have averaged about 36 while my best is 38 going between 60 and 65mph.

I have a big trip to NC soon so and my goal is too break my record.

Haha, “drive … like its a go-kart” conjures up all kind of images and memories in my head!! When I was a 16 year old (just got my license) racing my 1980 maroon Toyota Tercel lift-back with a m/t around Hacienda Heights, the Puente Hills and Whittier (S. California) back in the early 80’s like it was a go-kart! I had to replace the tires and brake pads on that thing every 2 to 3 months!! Geez, I can’t afford to drive like that anymore, but I sure remember how much fun it was!

This crappy economy has really hit me hard financially so I can’t afford to be battering up my car and replacing stuff on it all the time.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Post on back when you hit 50MPG, make me a believer ;-)

K_C_
Drum roll please...

516.6 miles with a fill-up of 9.959 gallons equates to 51.87 mpg.

Honestly, it's pretty hard to try to get these kinds of numbers in our car. It has 136k on it and I think something needs replaced (already did spark plugs & one coil)... Some 45,46,47 & 48 mpg tanks preceded this one. We always fill to first click.

Not to mention my wife did most of the driving on the 50+ tank.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Virrdog
Drum roll please...

516.6 miles with a fill-up of 9.959 gallons equates to 51.87 mpg.

Honestly, it's pretty hard to try to get these kinds of numbers in our car. It has 136k on it and I think something needs replaced (already did spark plugs & one coil)... Some 45,46,47 & 48 mpg tanks preceded this one. We always fill to first click.

Not to mention my wife did most of the driving on the 50+ tank.
Where do you live and drive? No hills in your area? 51.8 MPG is incredible! My best is 43.6 MPG in my 2011 Honda Fit on hilly Kauai and nothing over 50 MPH.

At what mileage did you have to replace your coil? I'm curious of the reliability of the Fit compared to other Honda's and hope it fallows their history of high reliability.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
And I got 68.7 mpg with my last tank.

682.3 miles with 9.931 gallons.

Yea right, not serious. I don't believe some your guys' claims. If your mpg is so insanely high, go tell Honda about it, or Guinness World Records because your engine is a modern marvel, or magical.
If you ever fallowed me while driving around, you'd understand how I get 42+ MPG! I can really piss-off the tourists from LA here on Kauai with my slow take-offs from a complete stop at a light!! My game is trying to see how good a mileage I can squeeze out of this thing, that’s why I traded in my Jeep for this Honda Fit. Screw the LA a-holes that come to our sleepy little island thinking they can come here and break the speed record on our dangerous little roads!

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)