Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

New Project..

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:05 AM
New Project..

I actually picked the car up 3 weeks ago and been so busy I never posted it up here...

Body is mint, 2 owners for 20 years. Garage kept.

The fate of my other DSM, as well as the Fit, is now up in the air as I am trying to decide on going all out on all 3 over a longer stretch of time or gradually selling stuff to fund the multiple projects I have going on at the moment. :D

What's already been done to the new ride with parts that came with and others I had laying around:

-Built Transmission/Drivetrain:
Double Synchro 1-4th
Singe Synchro 25% Taller 5th gear
Double Pin Shift Rails
Chromoly Shift forks/sliders
Cryo'd Gear Set
Cryo'd Input Shaft
Quaife LSD
Drive Shaft Shop CV Shafts
3200lb ACT Pressure Plate
9lb ACT Chromoly Flywheel
Sprung 6-puck "Feramic" Disc
SS Clutch Lines
Magnus Clutchfork
OE Throwout Bearing
26" Slicks
Manual Steering Rack Conversion

-Engine:
ARP Head Studs
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP Main Studs
Kiggly Main Girdle
Kiggly HLA
Kiggly Valve springs
Ferrea Guides/Valves
Fel-Pro MLS Headgasket
Cams 288*/ .443" Lift
Balance Shafts Eliminated
Mahle Pistons 9.0:1CR
Manley I-Beams 150mm
ACL Tri-Metal 3/4 Grooved Rod & Main Bearings
Snow Performance Progressive Methanol Injection

-Exhaust:
Dumped 38mm Wastegate
Custom 3" Downpipe & Turbo Back with Flowmaster muffler for street
3.5" Shorty Downpipe for the track

-Fuel:
VR4 Denso Pump In-Tank
Bosch 044 In-Line
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
-8AN Line Tank to Rail
-6AN Line Rail to Regulator, Regulator to Tank

-Turbo:
Borg Warner S200SX (59-74) with Bullseye Power .70AR T3 Twinscroll Turbine housing, also have a .55AR Open Volute Turbine housing

-Management:
Full ECMLink V3
Evo 8 MAF
AEM UEGO/MAP/IAT
2 Stage Electronic Boost Controller

-Still needs:
Fire Suppression System
Roof Rails
LSR Cage
Parachute
Coilovers
Better Manifolds (Intake & Exhaust)
Bigger Turbo
More Fuel (Second Fuel Rail, Pumps, etc.)
Water to Air Intercooler
E98 or Pure Methanol

Goals: 750whp and 200MPH License on asphalt or 175mph on Salt, preferably both.
ETA: 36 Months

Ultimately I want to do 200MPH at Bonneville, but I have A LOT of learning and experience to gather before that. Will probably take 3-5 years to get to that point in a safe and realistic fashion.

The Fit may be put on the back burner if I don't end up selling my other DSM.

If any of you are interested in a sleeper on the cheap that will run down and embarrass cars that cost six figures PM me and I will hook you up with a running 1G that is ugly as sin but runs like a raped ape. I've already had a few offers, some from friends.

But if I can introduce a fellow FF.net to an affordable entry into the DSM world I would be thrilled. Especially a local!

Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
You've got too many sticks in the fire.. Watch out or you'll end up with 8 0r 10 projects going and never be able to finish any of them... That's what has happened to me.. There is no way I can get around to doing much more than having a mess of my stuff hauled off and sell what I can on Ebay for next to nothing, if it sells at all.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:28 AM
I know.. it's bad. Is there a "Car Anon?" haha

I've never really had a problem selling parts/cars but I am really attached to three projects in particular.. Both my DSMs and the Fit.

But the DSMs are the priority at the moment. However I only need some injectors and a UEGO and the Fit is good to go.

The problem is I keep looking at the Fit and thinking that I want to go bigger with it and put it off to the side while I draw up my options...

How you doin Tex? I have been away for a while. Finally had to take a break from everything so I up and hid in a cabin in the northwoods by Lake Superior and went fishing and drinking for a week with the GF.

I have about 100 pics to upload that I never seem to get around to!

Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
Holi-Moli DSM, you forgot to mention one other item on the needs list......an extra parachute when you finish...LOL!
Good luck with your endeavors ma'man...USA jus' grounded one shuttle but shua this will be the next one....

Old 07-22-2011, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by vinnymac
Holi-Moli DSM, you forgot to mention one other item on the needs list......an extra parachute when you finish...LOL!
Good luck with your endeavors ma'man...USA jus' grounded one shuttle but shua this will be the next one....
Heh thanks Vinny, I am already anxious about having one chute! The car will no doubt be able to hit the speeds I want... but the tough parts are going to be:

-Passing LSR Certification
-Doing a 200mph Standing mile, which means besting 9.x sec @ 150mph in the 1/4
-Doing 175mph on the Salt and not crashing over the crumbly soft surface

I'll be trying to update here as I go! I am trying to get this done ASAP while the dragstrips are still open.

The other DSM is waiting on more fuel as I finally got it up and running the last month or so and even with 90F weather it moves out! Logging 70-90mph and 80-100mph times in the low 1.x second range when I have traction.

A couple weeks ago on a nice cool night 5-100mph arrived in 8.x seconds with next to no traction brake boosting! This however was the same night I discovered my lack of fuel and saw 14.x* knock retard on that pull! >.<

Got very lucky nothing went ka-boom!

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 07-22-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
I have gotten rid of more stuff that I started working on than I ever finished.. I've got three Volvos, 2 pickups, 1 van, 3 motorcycles, 2 scooters, 2 Cushman three wheelers and other assorted crap parked around here.... I need to crash so I can try and get some work done around here tomorrow... 20 days straight of 100 degree and higher temperatures with more of the same in the forecast....I was wondering where you'd wandered off too.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 AM
I think I'd be in the same position if I had a barn! I wanna come down there and tinker with some of those toys you got lying in wait!

20 days of 100+? Damn. I though we had it rough here with 101-102F for a couple days!

I tried to escape the heat/humidity and went over 400 miles north... where it followed me! The whole week was 90F+ and 90% humidity with thunderstorms every other day. In the 20 some years I've been going up there it's never been that hot.

The fishing was phenomenal at least!

And the looks you get and the sh*t northwoods townies say when you roll in driving a Fit are priceless!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Wow sounds like fun!!! Keep us posted.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
You bought this from a guy in WI? That just goes further to cement my belief that everyone in WI owns a DSM at some point in their lives.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters

And the looks you get and the sh*t northwoods townies say when you roll in driving a Fit are priceless!
My car is 5 years old and the people around here still look at it strangely... Come to think about it they look at me strangely and I have been here for 16 years.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Keep the Fit, its your saving account and a reliable car. The new car looks great and should be easy to build with all your knowledge.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
He'll have the Fit getting about 22MPG before you know it SB.... Damn I'm jealous of guys like him even when they are nice to me.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
He'll have the Fit getting about 22MPG before you know it SB.... Damn I'm jealous of guys like him even when they are nice to me.
That is if he runs full boost, but I bet he will make 300 HP and get around 30 mpg all around. Tuning for drag strip is good for 12 seconds full throttle passes at a time but on the street needs a conservative tune to save the motor. I am digging water injection now even in a stock car. Unleaded will knock even 100 octane under some conditions. Water injection cleans the carbon and make a more reliable boost motor.

Did you see the water injection paper I posted to your visitor message?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
I think you are right about him getting 30MPG... See that is what I mean about the guy, he can do things like that and I can't... Jealous isn't the right word to use really. I'll admit it, I admire the guy but it's still frustrating not being as able to do what he and Lyons are doing.. SB, you send me a lot of stuff so I'll have to check and see if I got it.. Did you check out the link I sent you? To you and anyone else that is considering doing it. Water Injection, Methanol Injection, Alcohol Injection Systems: Coolingmist

Old 07-22-2011, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
I have not looked at it yet but will. My house has been really Hot and today finally some relief. I am busy this weekend my Dads 75th B-day.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:00 PM
I'll try and keep everyone posted as the more exciting stuff goes along.

In the mean time it looks like I want to throw one of my other engines in, change the clutch setup, and try a new front mount intercooler.

As far as the Fit goes.. I have no reason to believe that gas mileage will suffer much after it goes down for surgery.

I am as of now stuck with the stock cam and will be leaving almost all of the fuel cells out of vacuum at factory values or leaner, so 30mpg should be no problem.

Originally Posted by mike410b
You bought this from a guy in WI? That just goes further to cement my belief that everyone in WI owns a DSM at some point in their lives.
Everyone and their Mom apparently! haha Did you see/hear about Tim Zimmer (Waukesha) at Union Grove on the 18th?

His DD 2G DSM put down 835awhp @ 46psi a couple weeks ago and in the sweltering heat and humidity he ran 4 back to back 9 second passes at 140+ mph.

Then he drove it alllll the way home! I'd love to see a Fit do that. But odds of that are quite slim with some serious budget.

Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I have not looked at it yet but will. My house has been really Hot and today finally some relief. I am busy this weekend my Dads 75th B-day.
Power is out in my neighborhood again! Hope you guys didn't get flooded out! Happy B-Day to your Dad!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
^I didn't hear about it....but holy shit.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I'll try and keep everyone posted as the more exciting stuff goes along.

In the mean time it looks like I want to throw one of my other engines in, change the clutch setup, and try a new front mount intercooler.

As far as the Fit goes.. I have no reason to believe that gas mileage will suffer much after it goes down for surgery.

I am as of now stuck with the stock cam and will be leaving almost all of the fuel cells out of vacuum at factory values or leaner, so 30mpg should be no problem.

Everyone and their Mom apparently! haha Did you see/hear about Tim Zimmer (Waukesha) at Union Grove on the 18th?

His DD 2G DSM put down 835awhp @ 46psi a couple weeks ago and in the sweltering heat and humidity he ran 4 back to back 9 second passes at 140+ mph.

Then he drove it alllll the way home! I'd love to see a Fit do that. But odds of that are quite slim with some serious budget.

Power is out in my neighborhood again! Hope you guys didn't get flooded out! Happy B-Day to your Dad!
We did not hear about it when we were there but we went on Sunday for import wars and it was dead. It was too hot and only ran 4 times and he broke out by .006 on eliminations. The good thing was he didn't break the car and was consistent in his times.

Power is on but my parents got 7 inches of rain in 3 hours. My work is probably underwater. Had a good time at party.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Hey You! I just emailed ya and go to new posts and here's the answer!! 1st thread top of the page. Yes sir too many projects is a drain on you and your G.W's. But your young and have no limits!
Take care, don't stress this is the fun stuff ;)
Big Mike :D

Old 07-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Trying not to! As far as the GD3 is concerned the only thing stressing me is whether to go one turbo or 2.

More on that in the PM I just sent... ;D

Quick Reply: New Project..