2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

DIY: $50 (or less) Intake For The GE. CAI / SRI

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
Decided to finally hack away at my stock airbox...not really under $50 but I salvaged my T1R intake (Does that count? haha). Hopefully this will finally solve the CEL the original T1R intake was throwing.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 PM
I pulled off my Spectre intake to clean it today. Noticed that the MAF tube where you clamp the Intake seemed as though it had melted and re-solidified. At the very top the plastic drooped down slightly. While I don't plan to remove the SRI, I do plan to come up with a CAI box to put on to try and prevent it from getting any worse.

I'm not too worried as I have the stock air box that I can switch to should something happen.

Anyone else's modded MAF tube do this?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by MR-GE8
Decided to finally hack away at my stock airbox...not really under $50 but I salvaged my T1R intake (Does that count? haha). Hopefully this will finally solve the CEL the original T1R intake was throwing.

Your wires look really tight...

Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 PM
so my original post said that my filter didn't fit. so i decided to go through this thread page by page again and saw that most of you guys bent the whole intake setup at either the throttle body coupler or the maf-to-filter coupler. i had a EXTREMELY tough time getting the whole thing to fit, but after much pushing and shoving i got the intake to fit.

so now my fit sounds MUCH meaner and aggressive. every time i step on the gas i can hear the suck in air :3 makes me get butterflys in my stomach.
will edit in some photos after i take some in the morning

thanks OP[Lyon] for this diy write up! saved me lots of $$$!

here's how it looks

Last edited by JAZZdatFIT; 10-08-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: fixed my too big problem
Old 10-08-2012, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlackPearlFIT
Your wires look really tight...
I noticed that right after i took the pic and gave it a bit more slack since then. thanks for looking out for me

Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Had the DIY MAF sensor from my 09 fit and was bored oneday in the garage a while back....

Its gross but hilarious. Used a K/N filter I had sitting around and rocked out like this for a little while till I decided I wanted to do it proper.

Hilarious eh?

Anyways bought a AEM Dryflow/filter sock and redid the whole setup.

Its a tad tight and the end of the filter slightly touches the rubber hose off the brake fluid res. Ill be monitoring that to see if it rubs bad at all. But I had to trim all my couplers to make it all fit as it is now... XD Only AEM dryflow I could get my hands on was a 2 1/2 inch so I made it work with the spare stuff in the garage. It helps to have boosted project cars...

Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Installed mine yesterday. really happy with how everything turned out, complimented the exhaust notes beautifully. And there's no joke how tight it is for the filter!

Thanks for the great How-to!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Read the entire thread. Kinda a shame how some parts went down, but whatever.

I am planning a DIY intake as well. I am going to try and stick with 2-2.5 at most, except for a neat 4-2 inch velocity stack style filter that can be had on ebay. might be a 3-2, memory doesnt serve me well

While we wont get any extra useable power, the increased response is what I want.

Has anybody noticed if the extra response makes the manual tranny still be bitchy about the clutch? Sometimes I feel Bruce Lee kicks me out of 1st on occasion

Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Just wanted to update for my DIY intake.

I bought my parts from autozone

2x 3 to 3/2.5 (slip ring inside to adapt)
12mm valvecover breather filter.
3" 90 degree elbow

I hacked the hell out of the bottom part of the box in order to retain the stock filter and clamps/clasps

End result is the 3: elbow is a tad long and it only allows the motor side intake box mounting bolt to be used. To use the tranny mount (im manual) I need to trim approx 0.5 inches off the 3: elbow to make the curve sit closer to the throttlebody.

Anyone want pictures?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Sure lets gets some pics

Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 AM
I installed my prm intake and it sucks air where the stock air box sucks air but it gets heat soaked/ sucks hot air does anyone's do this? Felt so much loss of power so I relocated it to the front and seems so much better, so partially DIY? Haha

Old 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM
I never noticed a power difference between my intake being hot as hell versus cold.

The MAF sensor has the intake temp sensor, and its constantly being "cooled" by the intake air so it doesnt really matter too much.

Even if the entire intake system was hot as hell, the air is moving too fast to change temperature much. Maybe a few degrees.

The difference is how hot the AIR its intaking is. as long as cooler air is being drawn in, intake SYSTEM temp doesnt really matter

Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 PM
WHAT a BOSS! way to diy some awesome stuff my man

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
I just installed mine last night using a K&N rubber cone filter. It sounds nice and I knew I would be able to tell when the VTEC crossover happens because of the comments here, but I didn't realize it would be so noticeable. I really like that it's quiet and almost stock under normal driving conditions. That's also a bad thing because you have to really get the RPM's up to be able to make it roar, which hurts gas mileage. Thanks to Lyon for the DIY and to everyone else for their input.

-Dustin

Old 06-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Bought on ebay a 2.5inch coupler and a 2.5inch filter

$15 air intake after cutting stock box up for MAF tube.

Why the hell spend anymore then $100 on an intake? Screw that PRM crap, my filter is a K&N copy that has a lifetime warranty and over 95% filtration

Sounds mean as hell now!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM
I just did this mod last night, and it is awesome!!!!! .... but now i hear some rattling noise. it happenes when i hit the gas padel in neatrul. so i took a look under the hood. i believe is due to the filter hitting the ecu.... should i be too worry about it? any idea on how to minimize this rattling noise??

Old 07-11-2013, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
Bought on ebay a 2.5inch coupler and a 2.5inch filter

$15 air intake after cutting stock box up for MAF tube.

Why the hell spend anymore then $100 on an intake? Screw that PRM crap, my filter is a K&N copy that has a lifetime warranty and over 95% filtration

Sounds mean as hell now!
Pics?

10 char

Old 07-12-2013, 04:05 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Piyo2005
I just did this mod last night, and it is awesome!!!!! .... but now i hear some rattling noise. it happenes when i hit the gas padel in neatrul. so i took a look under the hood. i believe is due to the filter hitting the ecu.... should i be too worry about it? any idea on how to minimize this rattling noise??

Your ECM is inside your car so it's not that. A photo of your instal will help us figure out the problem for you.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the write-up! Definitely helped me make my intake!

Quick Reply: DIY: $50 (or less) Intake For The GE. CAI / SRI