2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

DIY: $50 (or less) Intake For The GE. CAI / SRI

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lil Blue
I thought of that too, but it happens at random times and a dirty sensor "should" throw a code all the time I would think.

Figured I would run it stock for a bit and see what happens. If I throw a code again then I know I have a problem elsewhere, which may include the sensor.
don't you just love those intermittent gremlins?

when I was working as a PC tech at Truman, I'd go bonkers when a teacher would come to me with intermittent problems. How am I supposed to fix this, if I can't find the problem, because the symptoms won't show up for me! And half the time, their descriptions are about as useful as saying there's a tree in a forest. AHHHHHHHHH

Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Quick update:

9800 miles total, about 2,000 back on stock intake, not a single CEL (knocks on wood).

To me, dirty sensor is out of the question. I may try swapping it back out when it gets warmer outside, maybe it is an air temp issue. Otherwise, I may just buy a SRI.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 AM
is there an way around having to cut into the stock air filter system? Can you just buy a 2 1/1" MAF pipe? please reply to this because I have all the parts i need, but I kinda want to save my stock air filter system in case something goes wrong.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Go to your local honda dealership and order another civet, I think it cost me under $20

Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FiTn00b
is there an way around having to cut into the stock air filter system? Can you just buy a 2 1/1" MAF pipe? please reply to this because I have all the parts i need, but I kinda want to save my stock air filter system in case something goes wrong.
As of right now there is no company that makes just the mafs pipe at the correct diameter to not throw a code. Spectre makes a tube but the smallest ID u can make it is 2.25" which is too big, The stock ID of the MAFS tube is 2".

Best bet is to hack up a replacement cover from bernardi parts, collegehills, or a local dealer.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 AM
and where in the world do you get the 3" - 2" coupler?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
As of right now there is no company that makes just the mafs pipe at the correct diameter to not throw a code. Spectre makes a tube but the smallest ID u can make it is 2.25" which is too big, The stock ID of the MAFS tube is 2".

Best bet is to hack up a replacement cover from bernardi parts, collegehills, or a local dealer.
That is incredibly important! Great point!

The same reason for why you don't hack up any of the seemingly restrictive grids inside MAF bodies and you want to keep a consistent pipe diameter without bends for as far in front of and behind the hotwire.

Early 2000's Vette owners learned this on the 3.5" GM MAFs when they would chop out the screening and would find themselves running dangerously lean because the MAF curve was never recalibrated.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Great Mod!

Just out of curiosity... Couldn't you extend the filter down in the front right section behind the bumper with either a rubber hose or pvc pipe. Then you could obtain cold dense air. Anyone tried that yet?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Yeah, i was thinking about that too.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fatsmagee
Just out of curiosity... Couldn't you extend the filter down in the front right section behind the bumper with either a rubber hose or pvc pipe. Then you could obtain cold dense air. Anyone tried that yet?

Perhaps you are referring to something similar to what Injen has developed for the GE's

Personally with the results that ThEvil0nE has been having with his TopFuel intake, I may try to create a "Poor Mans Version" out of what I have already for the DIY Intake.

I was able to get my hands on an aluminum pipe, 3" OD and 2" ID that i will friction fit into the spectre MAF tube to hopefully eliminate any code I am getting. What i need to decide now is if I should now replace my 3" 90deg bend tube with a 2.5" 90deg instead so I dont create an area of the intake that will seemingly have too much volume for the amt of air passing through after the maf tube.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
Perhaps you are referring to something similar to what Injen has developed for the GE's

Personally with the results that ThEvil0nE has been having with his TopFuel intake, I may try to create a "Poor Mans Version" out of what I have already for the DIY Intake.

I was able to get my hands on an aluminum pipe, 3" OD and 2" ID that i will friction fit into the spectre MAF tube to hopefully eliminate any code I am getting. What i need to decide now is if I should now replace my 3" 90deg bend tube with a 2.5" 90deg instead so I dont create an area of the intake that will seemingly have too much volume for the amt of air passing through after the maf tube.
the problem with CAIs that are developed, they are only made for M/T as the A/T will be in the way of the pipe.

As for the TopFuel-hack... it is possible and should be easy, would really look like a hack job but very doable. I will post more info on piping diameters and that of the chamber.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'm curious, both AT and MT have the underhood vent, right?

Is there a way to take the DIY SRI w/"heatshield" and turn that heatshield into an enclosure that mates up with that vent.

My addition wonder is, can we then somehow make it so that air pushes its way into the vent, to make an actual "ram." open up the openings in the upper grille cover, add a deflector in front if the AC condenser, etc.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I'm curious, both AT and MT have the underhood vent, right?

Is there a way to take the DIY SRI w/"heatshield" and turn that heatshield into an enclosure that mates up with that vent.

My addition wonder is, can we then somehow make it so that air pushes its way into the vent, to make an actual "ram." open up the openings in the upper grille cover, add a deflector in front if the AC condenser, etc.
That is more than possible, this is what I was originally going to do but not incorporating the hood at all, i was going to create a chute from the radiator cover to my front facing filter, but i felt that wasn't necessary as more than enough air was getting to my filter.

To actually have something that mates up to the hood would be tricky and a lot of trial and error but its possible.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Well, you could take off the underhood vent and use that area for the chute.

The only goal is to make "ram" air without snaking too much tubing around the engine bay.

A single piece chute attached by just a couple clips would make it relatively easy to access the rest of the engine bay.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Well, you could take off the underhood vent and use that area for the chute.

The only goal is to make "ram" air without snaking too much tubing around the engine bay.

A single piece chute attached by just a couple clips would make it relatively easy to access the rest of the engine bay.
Yes if you wanted to use the space and holes that already exist on the hood that would work, but to actually fabricate something and make sure it is working as designed, having it structured and designed to be permanent in the engine bay will definitely make it easier. If i have spare money and time after all of my purchases this month, I may attempt this before the june meet, Or I will be making a DIY topfuel styled version which I will utilize the stock hood scoop.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
i put a blox velocity stack in today they make power for sure. i have had the prm cold air then made it to a short ram. then i had a t1r intake.then the diy with fujita air filter. now, the diy blox stack and made the fujita filter fit the stack. by far the blox stack and fujita filter has way better throttle response and some added power.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
you can use any cone filter with a 6'' base. notice the big difference in the fujita filter stack compared to the blox stack. the blox filter that goes with the stack is just way to big for the engine bay....

Last edited by k20a298ek; 03-05-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member

Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member

Old 03-04-2011, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member

Quick Reply: DIY: $50 (or less) Intake For The GE. CAI / SRI