2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

DIY: $50 (or less) Intake For The GE. CAI / SRI

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Since my setup is exactly like K&N's Typhoon kit (including heat sheild) I have a feeling we would see gains like this...

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-1017_dyno.pdf

I am using an AEM Dryflow filter instead though.
First question, did you dyno on a dynojet?

Funniest thing I've heard all day.

I can't believe 10 pages later...you still can't just realize you don't need to spend $300 to see 4-5hp gain.
10 pages of assumption and ignorance. I really don't follow this thread. Not surprisingly, 10 pages later and you guys are just a clueless as before regarding gains, losses, and CELs. Just saying....

Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by blackndecker
First question, did you dyno on a dynojet?

10 pages of assumption and ignorance. I really don't follow this thread. Not surprisingly, 10 pages later and you guys are just a clueless as before regarding gains, losses, and CELs. Just saying....
Don't even know what the heck your talking about for your first question.
This is K&N's dyno...secondly it does say dynojet at the top of the chart.

By clueless I guess you mean nobody has had a chance to dyno stock vs this custom CAI. In that case you are correct.
As for CEL's. I've been running this for 6 months and all I've seen is better throttle response more pull top end (and don't forget much better sounding engine ) I haven't had one CEL.

Just remember you have assumed just as much as we have in this thread.....just saying...

You should understand the most on why some people like to do things differently. We appreciate modifying our own cai and saving $250 even if it does only get us 1hp difference with better sound. You obviously appreciate hacking up perfectly fine Civics and Fits. To each his own correct?

Last edited by Committobefit08; 11-09-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Since you have now pissed me off and want to call us ignorant... how about you spending all this time and effort reducing all this weight. How is that going for you at the track? Congrats guess what your car is still slow. I'll take my stock tsx (all 3500lbs sound proof insulation and all) and still whoop your Fit at the 1/4 mile drag strip (and so can the other 90% of cars on the road). This is the wrong car if you want to be fast...I bought this car to get good gas mileage and carry people and carry big objects. Yes its fun to modify your car to meet your personality...but stupid to do so much to reduce its function...especially for your DD.
Don't get me wrong..I love modifying cars but you can only do so much to a DD before you hurt the integrity of the reliability, function, and resale value.
Not knowing this is ignorance.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 11-09-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Don't even know what the heck your talking about for your first question.
This is K&N's dyno...secondly it does say dynojet at the top of the chart.
I see...it is obvious you really don't know much at all about dynometers. Not trying to be mean, but this helps frame the discussion over the last several posts.

89 hp is an extremely low dyno read for the L15a7. All dynos read differently, but some brands read consistently low. You CANNOT compare absolute dyno numbers from different brands. This is why I asked what brand of dyno you used...if you didn't use a dynojet then it reinforces my statement that your "reference value" is worthless and cannot be compared in any way, shape, or form to the number K&N provided.

As for CEL's. I've been running this for 6 months and all I've seen is better throttle response more pull top end (and don't forget much better sounding engine ) I haven't had one CEL.
You might not have noticed a CEL, but many other people in this thread have. The high rate of CELs suggests that the DIY CAI could benefit from some refinement...???

You should understand the most on why some people like to do things differently. We appreciate modifying our own cai and saving $250 even if it does only get us 1hp difference with better sound. You obviously appreciate hacking up perfectly fine Civics and Fits. To each his own correct?
I understand completely...just trying to clarify innaccuracies. That is the point of a forum...to bring together collective wisdom.

Last edited by blackndecker; 11-09-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:05 PM
I see...it is obvious you really don't know much at all about dynometers. Not trying to be mean, but this helps frame the discussion over the last several posts.

89 hp is an extremely low dyno read for the L15a7. All dynos read differently, but some brands read consistently low. You CANNOT compare absolute dyno numbers from different brands. This is why I asked what brand of dyno you used...if you didn't use a dynojet then it reinforces my statement that your "reference value" is worthless and cannot be compared in any way, shape, or form to the number K&N provided.

You might not have noticed a CEL, but many other people in this thread have. The high rate of CELs suggests that the DIY CAI could benefit some refinement...???
Just to clarify..I never dynoed my car...never said I did.
I've only seen one person post getting a CEL "TheEvilone". not a high rate as you stated. Obviously refinement is always good but only if something is wrong. I haven't seen one CEL just better performance.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Since you have now pissed me off and want to call us ignorant...
. Ignorant is not a bad word...it means lack of knowledge. You have confirmed this throughout the course of this conversation. Whether or not you get pissed off is beside the point.

how about you spending all this time and effort reducing all this weight. How is that going for you at the track? Congrats guess what your car is still slow.
Slow...but tremendously fun. I can drive it hard on the street and still be within the legal speed limit. The same cannot be said for your TSX.

Which brings us to the next topic...
I'll take my stock tsx (all 3500lbs sound proof insulation and all) and still whoop your Fit at the 1/4 mile drag strip (and so can the other 90% of cars on the road).
^see above post. Regarding your 3500 lb pig...you should click the build thread in my sig. I'll be dropping a k24a2 into my civic shortly. Motor, tranny, subframe, etc are all sitting in my garage.

This is the wrong car if you want to be fast...I bought this car to get good gas mileage and carry people and carry big objects. Yes its fun to modify your car to meet your personality...but stupid to do so much to reduce its function...especially for your DD.
Don't get me wrong..I love modifying cars but you can only do so much to a DD before you hurt the integrity of the reliability, function, and resale value.
Not knowing this is ignorance.
I have no intention of ever selling my Fit. When a supercharger eventually becomes available, my Fit will destroy 90% of the cars you were referring to...as well as your entire arguement above.

This conversation is getting boring and entirely separate from the topic we were originally discussing, i.e. dyno results.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:20 PM
+rep. Proof this DIY makes as much hp as the K&N intake. Again why are people spending $300+ on intakes?

Scan the dyno sheet when you get a chance. I'd like to compare it to the K&N.
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-1017_dyno.pdf

Also I believe the K&N used a manual... you are close to the same hp#s with an auto. I could be wrong though...typically for dyno runs you see manuals being used from aftermarket manufacturers.
Sorry, I originally confused you with JavaFit...I was posting from my iPhone earlier and it is a PITA to keep track of who is posting what...

However, I have to laugh that you consider this proof of gains. Refer to my prior comments about the variability of dynos. Again...this reflects ignorance.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I've only seen one person post getting a CEL "TheEvilone". not a high rate as you stated....
You're not even trying....I happened to click one of the page numbers above just to see how many CELs were reported....again, only one page and I saw Lil Blue, wiona, and Java^Fit all reporting CELs.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...cai-sri-8.html

This is why I get bored with these arguments...it's like arguing with kids. They spout off at the mouth but don't read any of the replies.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:35 PM
. Ignorant is not a bad word...it means lack of knowledge. You have confirmed this throughout the course of this conversation. Whether or not you get pissed off is beside the point.

Slow...but tremendously fun. I can drive it hard on the street and still be within the legal speed limit. The same cannot be said for your TSX.

Which brings us to the next topic...

^see above post. Regarding your 3500 lb pig...you should click the build thread in my sig. I'll be dropping a k24a2 into my civic shortly. Motor, tranny, subframe, etc are all sitting in my garage.

I have no intention of ever selling my Fit. When a supercharger eventually becomes available, my Fit will destroy 90% of the cars you were referring to...as well as your entire arguement above.

This conversation is getting boring and entirely separate from the topic we were originally discussing, i.e. dyno results.
You're missing the point... I wasn't saying my TSX was fast..its not. I'm saying your wasting all this time and effort on a slow car that will always be a slow car unless you want to drop thousands of dollars in which case you will destroy the resale value (my arguement above). You are right this conversation is boring...you obviously need to waste more money on something so I will let you go. Enjoy never retiring.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
You're not even trying....I happened to click one of the page numbers above just to see how many CELs were reported....again, only one page and I saw Lil Blue, wiona, and Java^Fit all reporting CELs.

This is why I get bored with these arguments...it's like arguing with kids. They spout off at the mouth but don't read any of the replies.

you know it all don't you... I can only speak for myself. I have no clue what these other poeple are doing when making their intakes. Its not rocket science. It preforms the same way as the stock intake (uses the same parts) just more filter area. prm had the same CEL issues. It doesn't take much to figure out a solution.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:42 PM
you know what you will never be happy. I'm done reasoning with you. You can't dog it unless you try it. I will just leave it as that. peace out.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
I have a question on the dyno from K&N, why is stock set at correction factor SAE 1.03 and their intake set up as correction factor SAE 1.04? Would that make a difference in the graph? Serious question. Never had a chance to see a dyno in the flesh, living on Okinawa for so many damn years and later Guam.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:58 PM
You're missing the point... I wasn't saying my TSX was fast..its not. I'm saying your wasting all this time and effort on a slow car that will always be a slow car unless you want to drop thousands of dollars in which case you will destroy the resale value (my arguement above). You are right this conversation is boring...you obviously need to waste more money on something so I will let you go. Enjoy never retiring.
You missed the point. I didn't spend a single cent on weight reduction....and I don't care about the resale value cause I'll never sell it. My folks never sell their cars...they always get passed down or driven till the wheels fall off. Just makes sense...

I'm ignoring the comment on money cause I have a good job with long-term security. No concerns there.

you know it all don't you...
Nope...I just know how to find (accurate) answers quickly.

prm had the same CEL issues. It doesn't take much to figure out a solution.
Source please...I've never seen anyone report CELs with the PRM. I've posted sources/references for every claim I've made. You should respectfully do the same...otherwise I'm calling BS.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
I have a question on the dyno from K&N, why is stock set at correction factor SAE 1.03 and their intake set up as correction factor SAE 1.04? Would that make a difference in the graph? Serious question. Never had a chance to see a dyno in the flesh, living on Okinawa for so many damn years and later Guam.
K&N's dyno should be taken with a grain of salt...just like WR's dyno showing +10 hp all across the power curve with their "header"

My concern is the LOW baseline dyno numbers...that's what I would expect for a GD not a GE....unless this was on a consistently low reading dyno.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive

Equations: Dyno Correction Factor and Relative Horsepower

Old 11-09-2010, 06:42 PM
You missed the point. I didn't spend a single cent on weight reduction....and I don't care about the resale value cause I'll never sell it. My folks never sell their cars...they always get passed down or driven till the wheels fall off. Just makes sense...

I'm ignoring the comment on money cause I have a good job with long-term security. No concerns there.

Nope...I just know how to find (accurate) answers quickly.

Source please...I've never seen anyone report CELs with the PRM. I've posted sources/references for every claim I've made. You should respectfully do the same...otherwise I'm calling BS.

Well obviously weight reduction is free...I would hope. I'm talking about your buying of parts, painting, motors...etc.

Honestly I was lazy and didn't feel like scrolling through 10 pages. When I last looked at this thread theevilone was the only one I saw have issues.

Since you have only been around since beginning of this year that is reasonable. My memory has failed me...it was the T1R intake not the prm intake.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...e-install.html

This was the original thread I was thinking of.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ll-fail-2.html
But it ended up being a bad MAF.

Ok I'm done. Have fun pointless fighting with someone else.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 11-09-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Well obviously weight reduction is free...I would hope. I'm talking about your buying of parts, painting, motors...etc.

Honestly I was lazy and didn't feel like scrolling through 10 pages. When I last looked at this thread theevilone was the only one I saw have issues.

Since you have only been around since beginning of this year that is reasonable. My memory has failed me...it was the T1R intake not the prm intake.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...e-install.html

This was the original thread I was thinking of.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ll-fail-2.html
But it ended up being a bad MAF.

Ok I'm done. Have fun pointless fighting with someone else.
LOL...

I think this exchange summarizes the past 5 hrs:

Originally Posted by BlackNDecker
I understand completely...just trying to clarify innaccuracies. That is the point of a forum...to bring together collective wisdom.
I realize how I come across each time I jump into this thread, but aside from the brash rhetoric, I really just try to point out pitfalls and assumptions because thousands of people lurking are reading our posts. I know I appreciate when someone with knowledge corrects inaccuracies on topics that I'm trying to research.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member

Lol not that i want to add more fuel to this fire but i wanted to point out that my intake is a much different setup from others on here and DOES NOT utilize the stock MAF tube. I am working on making a properly sized insert for that section to remove my CEL which is only showing due to an improper size tube.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 PM
LOL....laughing at your sig. Just call it 94 hp kid!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:53 PM
late quickie story...

yes I have the CEL came on me in 3 occasions. I did a quick reset after the 1st CEL. the 2nd CEL, I did some tightening on clamps and reset. 3rd CEL came at exactly 42 miles, did a MAF re-seat and did not reset... ran with a CEL for maybe 6-8 miles and the CEL went out by itself while I was driving. I am now 100+ miles CEL free.

Quick Reply: DIY: $50 (or less) Intake For The GE. CAI / SRI